“Fantastic Italian food, unique dining experience”
Review of Vivo Ristorante

Vivo Ristorante
Reserve with OpenTable
Vivo Ristorante is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #18 of 2,593 Restaurants in Edmonton
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 184 St
Reviewed July 8, 2013

This is a very special place to go with a group of friends or family. We (my husband and adult children) were a group of 6 and the family-style dining was perfect for us. We were visiting Edmonton as a family get-together and were lucky enough to find Vivo Ristorante online and open on a Sunday night. What an absolute treat! The food was nothing short of amazing. I will never forget the fettuccine alfredo. My son said it was the best pasta he'd ever tasted. The service (Mike) was also fantastic. We loved how he explained each dish as it was served, followed by "Enjoy!" Vivo has a nice, relaxed atmosphere and also features an open kitchen so you can watch food being prepared. We're sure glad we found it!

Reviewed July 5, 2013

This place is a gem. The food is served "family style" which means you pick a few dishes and share. You MUST have the Caprese Salad. Take my word for it, this is the best salad I have had in my life. I could just go for that. Fetticini is good, other pastas are good. We tried the large meat platter once, not bad, but probably wouldn't order it again. Great service, the wait staff are well educated on the menu. The ambiance is great. Highly recommend it! My favorite restaurant in all of Edmonton and I have lived here 40+ years!

Reviewed June 22, 2013

You'll see my review below where I RAVED about the Filet Mignon. In fact, since that visit, I have often thought about how that was the best steak I'd ever had and my mouth has been watering until I could return. So, last night my husband and I went for date night.

We sat at the Chef's Table which is fun, fun, fun! We watched all the chefs preparing the meal and we interacted with them, our server who was great, and one of the managers. We ordered a bottle of wine and asked that our meal service be paced slower than normal as we wanted to enjoy the evening and the whole experience.

We ordered Beef Carpaccio which was probably the best we've ever had. Very good. Then we had the Fettuccini which many rave about and it was worth the raves. My husband is Italian so he knows his pasta and he said it was better than the aunts would make (Sorry Josie, Lina, Anna, Grace, Adriana and Mavalda!!)

For our main course we ordered the Filet Mignon with Fiddleheads (our son works at a very high end restaurant in the Byward Market in Ottawa and said we absolutely had to try these). I was so very much looking forward to the Filet and unfortunately it was terribly overcooked. I ordered medium rare for the benefit of my husband but eating it on my own I would have ordered rare. It was terribly overcooked, brown except for a small bit of pink right in the centre, and for me was just inedible.

Of course, they did everything to try and make it right. At first they offered to take it back and I declined because I thought it would still be good given my last experience but after a few bites I knew I couldn't eat it. They did take it off the bill but it really just ruined the whole experience. The place was great, the staff was great. This was one mistake that they attempted to correct and this is balanced by many previous positive reviews. My concern is that when I first mentioned that the steak was overcooked we were told "yeah, we noticed that it was overcooked when it came out". So my preference would have been that they not serve it to us. Particularly given that we said we were in no rush so they would have had time to refire it.

This is a very expensive restaurant so we expect more. Our bill with a generous tip came to $160 and that is with the $54 steak taken off. That's a lot of money to leave with a bad taste in your mouth (pardon the pun!)

1  Thank SunSeeker37
Reviewed May 17, 2013

From the first course through the pasta and meat dishes expect only the best. A must place to eat. If only two, try thr 'bar' where you can watch the food being prepared. This restaurant really shows off what it can prepare with larger parties, 6-10!

1  Thank Oggy44
Reviewed May 7, 2013

This is a great restaurant for a group of 4-6 as the dishes are meant to be shared and the portions are very large! The server explains everything very thoroughly as this is family style eating and wonderful as you can taste several dishes!! A fun place to go as you can also watch the chefs preparing the food!!

2  Thank Euphegenia D