“Great location but in need of renovation.”

West Edmonton Mall Inn
Ranked #65 of 93 Hotels in Edmonton
Forestburg
“Great location but in need of renovation.”
Reviewed March 14, 2013 via mobile

I stayed two nights and found the hotel ideally located by West Edmonton Mall. The room was clean, the hotel staff was friendly. Many things were but working when I was there: no pay movies, door to underground parking, toilet was plugged! Staff did offer complementary wi-fi in lieu of the pay per view movie so they was a nice gesture. I was unfortunate to have partiers across the hall at 2 am.

• Stayed March 2013
2 Thank Karen B
Fantasyland H, General Manager at West Edmonton Mall Inn, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
Thank you for choosing to stay with us while you enjoyed the West Edmonton Mall right across the street. I will definitely share your compliments regarding the cleanliness of the room and staff friendliness with the entire team. I would like to apologize our pay-per-view movie system was not available at that time; Shaw Cable recently upgraded our system that affected this. However, this is currently being work on and we expect to have it running again in a couple of weeks. We have also started renovating our guest rooms so we hope to showcase this with you on your next trip to Edmonton.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Reviewed February 4, 2013 via mobile

This stay was okay. Nothing great. Rooms are old and in need of a really good cleaning, service was polite but not overly friendly . For the premium price I expected better. Will try something just a little further down the road next time.

• Stayed December 2012
6 Thank Swm655
Whitehorse
Reviewed January 24, 2013

I stayed with my on in January 2013 for 4 nights.
The room was very clean and everything worked fine.
The location is very good, the West Edmonton Mall is right across the
road and parking even with a trailer no problem.
Very friendly people and service.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank whitehorse1964
Fort McMurray, Canada
Reviewed January 7, 2013

We stayed here as we couldn't afford the FantasyLand Hotel. We stayed for 3 nights and the proximity to the mall was excellent. You cross the lights and go through the carpark and you are at the Bourbon Street entrance to the Mall. It was close enough not to need to wear a winter coat. I didn't want to carry it around the Mall! You are there in 2 minutes.
The hotel itself is clean and basic. There is no room service or breakfast room in the building so be aware of that. There is a small fridge and tea and coffee making facilities. The Wifi was on a promotion so we got it for free which was nice. It also worked throughout the Mall.
We had a problem with our cable not working, and the hotel gave us a complimentary breakfast for 2 at the FantasyLand hotel which was a nice bonus that we were not expecting. The service was great from the front desk staff. They were very helpful and always had a smile.
It was a good hotel exactly where we needed it. If you are not expecting a full service place then this is your best bet.
Only thing, if travelling down on the weekend, be aware there is lots of young people who travel in to go to the nightclubs and pubs in the mall. The rooms are not soundproof and they were quite loud and noisy while getting ready having a few drinks and when coming home drunk. It didn't bother us as we were awake, but we could see how it would bother other guests.
We would stay again.

Room Tip: Rooms came with 2 queen size beds. I think this is standard.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Rebecca W
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed December 23, 2012

I usually stay in cheap hotels. However, this was day 14 of a cross-country road trip, and I wanted something nice and close to the mall. I spent a bit more than normal on this hotel.
It was lovely that they called us, and made sure we were doing well, before we got there. I appreciated the personalized touch.
It was really close to the mall.
Since you are paying for a nicer hotel, of course you are going to have things like a clean room, huge TV, nice staff, free apples on the check-in counter, soundproof walls, a gigantic king bed, and a beautiful bathroom. However, since these things tend not to bother me too much if they are absent (minus clean sheets), paying to have them there didn't make me feel like I was getting a great deal (notably since some of these things are featured in less expensive hotels). That being said, if you are the type of person who needs (or, really likes) comfortable spaces, super-clean rooms, and a very comfortable stay, paying for this hotel might be worth it.
If you are the type of person who carries an extra sheet when you travel (since you're fine with sleeping in disgusting spaces...as long as you have your own sheet), have been comfortable in rooms that smell like old smoke, and are fine with hearing the noise of other guests, you can save your money, and stay somewhere less expensive.
The proximity to the mall was super-cool.

Oh, one thing I had to mention.. we asked the person at the front desk if it is safe to drive from Edmonton to Jasper after dark. She said we'd be safe, and it would be fine. It is actually incredibly unsafe for people who are not used to dark roads in an old car. So, don't listen to them if you're from a flat place, and if they tell you driving to Jasper is safe in the dark! She was really nice, though!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank smfische
St. Albert, Canada
Reviewed December 17, 2012

My husband and I stayed for the night and for paying $200/ night we were very disappointed to say the least.This room is outdated,bottom of the line everything and extremely small.I would have gladly paid $100/ night for this room at least then you know what your getting.The only thing this hotel has is location but the price still doesn't make up for it.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Myadevo

Travelers are raving about these Edmonton hotels

Yellowknife, Canada
Reviewed December 9, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for just one night, and I was thankful that it was only one night. The hotel rooms, and the hotel itself, is very outdated and in need of some renovations.

The room was dingy and I am always worried about very dark carpet. What stains is it hiding? The TV remote didn't work, the bathroom was very small and not clean. The shower head was grungy and in need of a good scrubbing.

Didn't have a very good sleep. Feet were itchy, kept imagining bed bugs. Didn't see any, but imagined them there.

For the price we paid, not worth it.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple