“Nice Evening for "Date Night"”
Review of Bistro La Persaud - CLOSED

Cuisines: French
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 86th Avenue
Transit: Edmonton City Transit bus stops located directly in front of our building: La Cite Francophone.
Description: ph 780.758.6636
Reviewed October 5, 2012

My husband and I enjoyed a very nice Friday evening at Bistro La Persaud. I have been very intrigued by French food recently so have been seeking out opportunities to try different french restaurants. When I saw a Groupon for this Bistro worth $50 for only $25 I bought it.

We went tonight and had a very enjoyable night. We were a little surprised at first by the location (where is that??) and what else was going on in the building. Depending on the seat you receive could really affect the ambiance because the room is beautiful but if you are seated next to the entrance you see a university cafeferia exterior. I really loved facing the kitchen and watching the action (picture Hell's Kitchen without all the yelling!) That was fun!

First, the service. These guys and gals are clearly highly trained and work to do a good job but there was a little something lacking. We got our amuse bouche before we were even asked for our drink requests. When I did order my wine it took a long time. But when it came it was delicious. I ordered one of the house red wines - a Pinot Noir - which was absolutely delightful. They were a little slow on clearing plates or refilling water. Not a deal breaker though!

As a huge seafood fan I ordered the lobster tail appetizer. It was on a taber corn and bacon cassoulet with lobster bisque. It was good but not outstanding that I would rush to order it again.

For dinner I had the duck. It came with a duck breast with duck leg confit in an absolutely delicious sauce. I have been wanting to try duck confit for a long time and this didn't disappoint. It was absolutely delicious! My husband, who eats to live vs. lives to eat (like me!) even liked the duck.

He ordered the pork (it was really just that or beef for him!) and he really enjoyed it. He would have liked a cappucino while I was finishing my wine but unfortunately the machine had broken down that night (as had the credit card machine so we signed one of those old school credit card bills to pay our bill!)

Overall, it really was an experience and we enjoyed our night. Life is all about the experience and you have to try everything at least once. We had invited our friends to come with us but they declined as they do not appreciate french food. Yes the price is high and the portions are on the small side but you get an experience that you don't get anywhere else. The presentation is amazing! Food you can't pronounce much less recognize but it's totally all part of the adventure which is what we look for!

I particularly enjoyed the Chef coming out and speaking to us at the end of the evening. They didn't ask us to sign the wall though like Stephen Mandel and Alison Redford got to do!!

Reviewed August 1, 2012

It has been a long time since I can remember enjoying a meal this much in Edmonton. Everything from the food to the service was superb. This is a small intimate dining room - very nice for special occasions. We shared the grilled lettuce salad (plenty for 2 - delicious and so different). My husband had the snapper and I had the cornish hen. Everything was perfect - tasty, inventive, presentation was superb. We ordered a bottle of wine and the price was reasonable. Also had dessert and special coffees - everything could not have been better. I cannot wait to go back for a special occasion. Excellent value for the price. So nice to go out to eat where the chef is doing something different yet so skilled at what he does.

Reviewed June 20, 2012

I love when people say great food and then give the restaurant a bad rating. Chefs cook food , they are not realtors. It is sad that this restaurant is located where it is ( at least parking is plentiful) but make no mistake the food is first rate and the service is outstanding. I am from Edmonton and globally dine out regularly, after reading the three previous reviews I felt compelled to write a review. This is one of my favorite restaurants in the city, the menu is always inventive and the preparation is excellent. When we want to dine on creative fare prepared with skill and care this quirky little French restaurant always delivers. As for ambiance, my dining companion is so much fun I could eat in a cafeteria with her and I'd still love it. Nonetheless, in my opinion the location does not befit the quality of food and service.

Reviewed June 10, 2012

We had eaten here a while ago and really liked it. Went back recently with great expectations and were very disappointed. At our table of 4, two of us had the "game hen". Both found the dish to be incredibly salty, to the point of almost being inedible. One of us had the lamb, and liked it. The other had gazpacho, which was fine, but the asparagus which came with it was coated with a very salty seasoning. The coquille-saint-jacques came with barely a drizzle of cheese sauce. We had 2 Baba Au rhums for desert. Both were dry, not at all moist with the taste of rum; we did not finish them. The atmosphere was fine and the waiter quite congenial and understanding of our concerns. We are sorry it was not better as we had high hopes. Will never return.

Reviewed June 3, 2012

Unfortunately our experience was very disappointing. The food was tasty but the atmosphere was horrible. It felt very institutional and probably the least romantic spot to dine as a couple on the planet. Service was also quite good. I think if they had a better location in a quaint spot they would be much more popular and successful.