“Really Nice Accommodation in Downtown Edmonton”

Coast Edmonton Plaza Hotel by APA
Ranked #16 of 91 Hotels in Edmonton
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed January 7, 2011

Very nice family accommodation. Our hotel bookings were done online at www.minttrav.com and we were happy to get great deals.
Booking was done very professionally and everything was ready for us - we were a group of 5.

Spacious rooms with wonderful views and excellent and helpful staff. Anything requested was taken care of promptly.

They have free wireless internet as well as a business center.

The hotel is conveniently located in the center of Edmonton and being a first time visitor there, they really helped in guiding us around to the mall and aviation center....

Would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,119)

Reviewed December 21, 2010

Stayed here for business. Front Desk staff seemed ill prepared to handle our large group of 12 rooms that checked in at once, even though they had our arrival time. Regardless, we got in our rooms prior to guarantee check in time which was nice. Rooms are nothing special, but not bad. A but warn down as if they see a bit of traffic. We had a function in one of the meeting rooms, and was comfortable. Slept well, amenities average, free internet was nice. I'd stay here again when in Edmonton, it was only for a quick night, but price seemed a bit high for the quality and calibur of room? not to sound snobby, sorry. Ate at the restaurant for lunch with a few of us, there was one other table, and the poor waitress, who was also the bar tender, bus boy, and hostess, seemed a bit frazzeled. food was mediocre at best. Sorry!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed November 30, 2010

Okay, it's not the Ritz-Carlton but it's not Lefty's Motor Lodge either. It was a clean, comfortable hotel in the heart of downtown that I think should not be overlooked.

Check in was uneventful, as the girl at the desk clearly considered my arrival an unwelcome part of her afternoon. That said, she did manage to smile even though I got the feeling she wanted to stab me rather than have to do her job WELCOMING a guest for six nights. Oh well.....

The room itself, basic but nice. Typical furniture; two beds, a nightstand a dresser and a desk, nothing too dated or worn, just typical in style. Strangely, the lighting leaves MUCH to be desired as the wattage of the bulbs was kept to a minimum. Usually this is a sign of bad housekeeping, but I don't think it's the case here as everything seemed clean and fresh. I actually went to the drug store a few blocks away and bought 100 watt bulbs for my stay, it's one of the best spent $3.00 in Edmonton. Bathroom was designed by Holiday Inn, but again, clean and stocked with plenty of towels, etc.

The hotel did have a nice health club, pool and free WiFi (with a great signal, I might add!). I was on the 15th floor and had a view of the front of the hotel, it was better at night as the buildings lit up, but nice just the same. One really nice feature is the small window that opens, it's just enough to get some fresh air when you feel like it.

The location was fine, a 1/2 block from Jasper Avenue, the main street in Edmonton and just a few minutes walk to just about everything. There's a park next door that everyone living in Edmonton was "bad", but it's so well lit, it could see anything and everything going on (which was nothing the whole six days I walked past and though it).

Would I return to the Coast again on another trip? Yes, I can say without a doubt that I would. There's nothing wrong with this hotel that would make me say it's not a good value. Of course there are better hotels in Edmonton, but there's really not a better location for the money, in my opinion.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed November 15, 2010

This was an ideal business trip hotel. Rooms were spacious, free internet, and the staff was excellent. Anything requested was easily taken care of. Very accommodating. If my business travels return me to Edmonton, I will most certainly look at returning here.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed October 13, 2010

This hotel is conveniently located in downtown Edmonton. It is in a beautiful location where you can easily walk three or four blocks to just explore the town. The surrounding buildings are gorgeous and the city landscape is breathtaking. The city and shops have their charm and very much lend themselves to having a relaxing cup of coffee while having conversation.

The hotel however was rather expensive (even for a conference rate) for such poor beds. The mattresses were super firm and the pillows must have been equally firm and big as well. The indoor restaurant was very pricey and did not offer enough variety for those who are health conscious or who want a lighter meal. The staff were friendly.

The coffee in the room was fantastic - the best at any hotel i have ever stayed at although they only leave you one packet. There was no microwave which seemed rather odd since there was a refrigerator in the room. The beds were the most disappointing thing about the hotel. I stayed for four nights and hardly got a restful nights sleep.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed September 21, 2010

I stay at this hotel quite often when I'm in Edmonton- but not choice, it's where my company books the reservation. It's a dated property, but it's not bad. The carpets look about 30 years old, and there is never enough lighting in the rooms once the sun has gone down.

The heating & air conditioning system is old and NOISY. The air is also very dry. The rooms have an empty mini refrigerator - but be careful not to set it to the maximum setting or everything you put inside will be frozen. There is a coffee maker with coffee pouches, tea and hot chocolate powder. The WiFi Internet access is very slow if you are on a floors 12-19 - the signal seems best near the lower and top floors.

The bathroom amenities (shampoo, body wash, lotion) are offered in single use bottles, or large pumps in the hotel's effort to be eco-conscious. Bar soaps are individually wrapped. The hair dryer is a pitiful little thing, but at least there is a make-up mirror.

I recently was given a room on one of the Club floors (the top 2) and the rooms are a bit nicer - the tv and fridge are in an armoire instead of plopped in the room on ugly plastic stands; there were cotton balls & Q-tips in the bathroom, and a halogen heat lamp. However my comments about the carpet, lighting (or lack of) and the noisy heat/ AC still apply and the bathroom amenities were the same.

There is a pool and gym - but the equipment is not in the best shape.

The hotel located in the business district so there is not a lot to do in the area. The City Centre mall is a short walk away - and it has a decent selection of shops to take advantage of the single sales tax in the province. There is a Sobey's Urban Fresh steps away from the hotel if you want to pick up some groceries, a sandwich from the deli, or just a coffee. On Saturdays there is a Farmers Market a couple streets away from the hotel. There is a bus stop at the street corner that can take you straight to the West Edmonton mall - but it's a good 30-40 min bus ride.

The staff are very helpful and friendly, and there is a complimentary shuttle service that will take guests anywhere in the downtown area. You just have to pre-arrange it with the front desk.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed August 9, 2010

We stayed at this hotel for a wedding. It wouldn't have been our first choice, but since the reception was being held there, wedding guests got a discounted rate. The hotel website was in the invitation, so I went online and took a look at it, noticing the regular rates were about $110-$120 so the wedding rate of $89 seemed like a pretty good deal, especially since the website advertised a free continental breakfast. I booked my room directly with the hotel's front desk, to make sure I got the correct rate, and during the conversation, I verified with the clerk that they had a continental breakfast. My mistake was in not asking her if my rate INCLUDED that continental breakfast however, beause, silly me, I thought that common courtesy would be to let a person know if they are going to have to pay for it! When we went to check in, we were informed that the "special" wedding rate did NOT include the continental breakfast that the regular rates did, that the continental breakfast was going to be $11 per person! With 3 kids? That's something that I would have liked to know!
We were also informed at check in, that our "special" wedding rate did not include parking, so that would be another $14.50 per night. Didn't find that information on the website.....and definitely wasn't told when I made the reservation.
By the time we paid for parking each night and bought breakfast for our family each morning, we would have been better off just booking our room on the website and paying the regular rate....we spoke to a couple other guests to compare rates and verified that! Very unimpressed with the lack of information.
Our other issue with the front desk staff was that we had made a request to be near a room with a specific family member. I had made the request when I first made the reservation, and then had called back a couple days before hand to make sure that request was in our reservation. I was told that they couldn't make any guarantees (which I understand), but that they would do the best they could. We checked in at standard check in time, 3:00, and when I asked about the other family member - not only did the front desk clerk have no idea what I was talking about, he said the only room he had available was 9 floors away from theirs!!!
As irritated as I was with the issues we had, I wouldn't have been as upset about them if the staff that I spoke to had cared about me at all....each front desk clerk that I talked to was borderline rude, not a single smile to be seen, and they made us feel like they couldn't care less whether we stayed there or not, let alone whether we were happy or not. I've worked in the tourism business for many years and they were a perfect example of how NOT to treat your customers.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family