“what a dump shame on you sandman”

Sandman Hotel Edmonton West
Ranked #77 of 93 Hotels in Edmonton
sunny okanagan
“what a dump shame on you sandman”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2005

wish i did look here. because its bad ,stayed there with small kids and like they say, party place...mostly there were natives on holiday...
garbage in one spot for days the pool is nasty, the hottub ..well, get shots before entering ,bad management or something ,we ended up in the west harvest in across the street $87 new and absolutely no noise no deposit sweet place

• Stayed September 2005
5 Thank C.G.A.J.inB.C.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Calgary
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2005

Absolutely avoid this place at all costs. It may be inexpensive - but that does not excuse filth, delapidation and total disregard for guest comfort. Everything was dimly lit, dingy, and rude. We walked through the 'courtyard' at the hotel's centre with a tiny pool and hot tub on our way to our room. The carpet was so threadbare it had almost disintegrated. There were half a dozen buckets placed strategically through the walkway catching leaks from the drippy roof. We rolled our suitcases around them. Our room was situated to face this courtyard, with a tiny balcony. It was shoved in a corner so tightly the neighboring room peered directly into ours. A group of employees, we think, were playing hackysack right outside our room, in the middle of the day. The room itself was nasty. Thin sheets, filthy carpeting, an equally filthy 'bucket' seat and a TV that hardly worked. The bathroom was absolutely repugnant - I felt that showering there would make me dirtier! We left the room for a majority of our time and dreaded going back. At least our neighbors enjoyed their stay with wild after-hours activities (complete with moaning and sweet profanities) that were 100% audible to us. STAY AWAY! You can score rooms downtown at the Westin for the same price in Edmonton's depressed hotel market!

• Stayed March 2004
4 Thank urbanbush
Regina, Saskatchewan
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2005

We stayed at this hotel over the Labour Day long-weekend and there are a few things to be said about it. The best thing about the hotel is its great lobby - it has recently been re-done and looks excellent. The rooms are not renovated yet and so, do not even come close to being as nice. We stayed for 4 nights and the last 2 days they did not even clean the rooms. There were 4 adults in the room and we went through a lot of towels and when we phoned the front desk about it they said that they were busy but from what I could see there were more cleaning staff sitting in the lunch room than doing any cleaning. We were by the entry to the pool and the first night that we arrived there was a beer bottle sitting in the hallway and by the 4th day it was STILL THERE!! Same with a picnic table beside the pool area - there was a pile of bags and chip containers that sat on that table for 4 days!!! I have stayed in a lot of hotels and I have never not had my room cleaned - I do not think that they ever even vaccuum at this place - there were Smarties on the floor of our room when we got there and 4 days later and I bet if I went back today they would still be there. The hallways looked the same - like they were NEVER vaccuumed.

When we called the front desk about getting some towels and to say that our room was not cleaned someone finally came with some towels but she looked angry that we had asked for some service. We also called for some extra glasses and nobody ever came - we waited 1 hour and still nothing- we had offered to go to the desk and pick them up but they said that we would just have to wait.

I doubt that I would stay there again. It was filthy and had bad, bad service. Until the service level matches the lobby I'll stay somewhere else.

• Stayed September 2005
6 Thank Melster
alberta, canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2005

My brother and I stayed at the west end Sandman last summer and I was really surprised by the general untidiness of the hotel. It also seemed to be mostly occupied by a party crowd so you wouldn't want to bring your family there. It's not that there was anything really wrong with the place (little dirty) but for the money there are much nicer hotels.

• Stayed July 2004
1 Thank mel&danAlberta
Prince George, BC, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2005

I liked the few times I have stayed at the Sandman Inn. I know it is not everyone's cup of tea, but the few times I have stayed there, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

The rooms are average at best, but they are clean, and you can get one that has a patio door that opens directly onto the pool area. The pool is ok. Not great size, but the hot tub is good enough to soak in after a long day of shopping.

You are a short drive to West Edmonton Mall (5minutes), and withing walking distance of many bix box retailers and restaurants. The Denny's onsite is open 24/7, which is nice if you spend some time down the Streets at Cowboys or Santana's (clubs).

When I last stayed at the Sandman, I got in at 2Am, phoned the front desk, asked for a 1PM checkout time, and they said no problem, with no questions asked.

I saw an earlier post about booking online, and I have to ask whether or not you booked directly on the Sandman site or through a third party? I have never had a booking problem with Sandman.

Also, if you ever go to Edmonton on a weekend, book your room in advance as they seem to fill up fast come Friday or even Thursday afternoon.

• Stayed August 2003
2 Thank PG_Coach
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2004

The lobby was beautiful. The front desk staff was very pleasant, and very helpfull. I really enjoyed the room i stayed in was very standard, it opened up to the courtyard, pool and hottub. I really enjoyed the pool i liked how it was like a garden in there as well. The Denny on-site was awesome i have never had such quick and frendly service. The hotel is only 10 min form the West Edmonton Mall, and 5 min from Red Lobster, so it is a very good location.

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2004

We recently booked a hotel room online at the Sandman in West Edmonton. We arrived at the hotel to check in at 7:00 pm, only to find that our room had only been booked for one night in their system, when our confirmation letter stated that it had been booked for 2 nights. It took them about 5 minutes to modify the reservation so that we could have our room for 2 nights. They then told us that even though our room had been paid for in full prior to arriving at the hotel, that they required a $100 deposit on our credit card before they could give us the keys to the room. We finally got our keys and were given directions to our room. The hotel was under renovation, so there was no elevator, and no direct route to our room. We had to walk through about 5 long hallways, and up and down about 3 flights of stairs to get to our room on the 3rd floor. Because of the renovations, there was drywall dust and dirt all over the floors. And it was VERY cold in the entire hotel.

We dropped off our things and left the hotel to go for supper. When we returned to the Sandman around 10:00, they had rented out 3 rooms, one on either side of us and one directly accross from us, to a bunch of teen agers. Needles to say they were having a party in all three rooms, and in the hallway as well. They were very loud and disruptive, even banging on our door from time to time thinking that their friends might be in our room.

We called the front desk to see if we could switch rooms and floors, and they informed us that they could only give us a room with a double bed on a smoking floor. (We had paid for a queen size bed on a non smoking floor) This was unacceptable to us, so we asked if we could just get our money back, and we would go and stay in another hotel. We were told that they could not refund our money because we had booked the room online, and we would have to try and get it back from the online booking site.

Fed up with the noise, we decided to leave anyways, and went to the front desk to at least get our $100.00 deposit back. Even though the girl at the desk had a name tag that read "shift manager", we were told that she was not authorized to remove charges from anyone's credit card, and we would have to call back in the morning when the manager was on duty.

We called back in the morning, and the manager took the hold off our credit card and told us she would get our money refunded for us by that afternoon.

When I called back that afternoon, the manager had already gone for the day, and hadn't even looked into getting our money back for us. When I called her back on Sunday, she said we would have to wait until Monday to get our money refunded and that she would call us in Saskatoon when it was done.

Monday came and went and I never heard from her. So I called the Sandman and found out that she still hadn't done anything about it. I told her that if I didn't get my money back one way or another that I would be contacting her district manager and filing an official complaint against her.

Miracuously, she called back 30 minutes later and the issue had been resolved.

I would never reccomend this hotel to any one staying in Edmonton. Not only was the service terrible and in poor taste but the hotel was filthy.

We ended up staying in the Hilton Garden Inn accross the street. The hotel was immaculate and the staff was very helpful and friendly.

16 Thank A TripAdvisor Member