“Close to the Mall”

Sandman Hotel Edmonton West
Ranked #78 of 93 Hotels in Edmonton
Reviewed September 11, 2013

This hotel was literally 3 minutes from the West Ed Mall, it was very convenient for us. The room was quite clean and very quiet. I'm not sure why this palce has bad reviews. There is Denny's attached to the hotel as well as an upscale steakhouse called Chop which was wonderful. I found the hotel very pleasant.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed August 20, 2013

Our family spent the weekend in this hotel. Do not be fooled by the picture of the nice lobby and poolside. The rooms can quite disappoint. OUr carpets in the room were dirty, literally. It badly needs shampooing and steam clean. I had to tell my kids to wear SLIPPERS inside the room!
Staff was friendly, asked for an extra pillow, it was immediately brought up. beds look ok 2 double beds (not queen).
Overall, I probably would not go back to this hotel even if it is priced less than $100. And I definitely would not recommend this to any of my friends.
BUT if you are not choosy, then this may be the place for you.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Agajean
Reviewed August 18, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the Sandman for one night and it was very good. We checked in and the front desk was very quick and efficient. We had a ground floor room that opened up to the pool so that was very convenient! The beds were comfortable and it was fairly spacious for a standard hotel room. I had 2 small inconveniences with there not being any towels left at the pool nor a menu for room service. I mentioned the room service menu issue to the front desk upon checkout and the lady said it may have been in a drawer. I had checked the top 2 drawers and it wasn't there so I guess I didn't dig deep enough...but then again I don't think I should have to do search the entire room for a menu! Overall I would stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed May 20, 2013

I spent the May long weekend here for a sports tournament with my son. The location is good, very close to West Edmonton Mall, plenty of other malls, and restaurants. A large grocery store is within walking distance to the east (handy when you're tired of restaurant food). There is construction at the southeast corner of the hotel, reducing the available parking in the back lot. The remaining spaces are all tight -- awkward if you drive a wider vehicle. The wings of the hotel surround the central swimming pool. The ground-floor rooms (we had one) have sliding patio doors opening onto the swimming pool area -- very convenient when it's time to cut the kid(s) loose. The mattress on my bed was a bit worn on the side closer to the TV. Housekeeping did a very good job. All in all, an acceptable room. The only significant drawback is the always-present group of smokers congregating outside the main front doors to the hotel, forcing us to run the gauntlet of second-hand smoke when entering and leaving the hotel. It's an unfortunate consequence of the rules against smoking indoors, and it's perhaps unrealistic to banish the smokers to some far corner of the parking lot, but it doesn't make it any more pleasant for the rest of us.

Room Tip: If you are not travelling with children, ask for a room on the outside walls (not facing onto the po...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank A K
Reviewed May 10, 2013

Edmonton is usually booked up during the week so this was one of the only "decent" hotels left that accepts pets! The cost was average for Edmonton weekday stay, weekends are usually less! I will now agree with some of the previous posts on here, in that the hotel rooms are dated. They have a flat screen (which is standard in most hotels), but beyond that comfortable beds and average amenities all with older furnishings and bedspreads.

The front desk staff that checked us in was not the most pleasant person I've encountered! She was quite rude and short with us. There was no line or overly complicated tasks she seemed to be performing. Her directions to our room was as best as you can follow someone sticking their arm out and stating "your room is over there"!!! Over where exactly??? Needless to say we were miss directed and the exercise of finding our room took longer than necessary if someone who was happier with her job had been working and directing! We gave her the benefit of the doubt - hey everyone has a bad day, but another colleague was checking in the next day and stated the same frustration with finding his room.

The one warning I will provide is that we stayed at this hotel for work for 3 nights. The first two were next to unbearable due to the humidity level of the room. We were located on the inside courtyard with our windows/sliding door that exits to the courtyard which has the pool and whirlpool. The air conditioners are working overtime to compensate for the constant humidity and heat from the pool area. Bottom line, we were trying to sleep over the noise of the window air conditioner and heat of the room - at the beginning of May! We had to switch rooms on the third night and had a very restful night sleep in a room that has an outside wall. The front desk staff that worked to switch our room was great and did the request without hesitation!

Overall the hotel is okay! What made our stay the most worth while (and reason I try to exclusively stay at Sandman hotels when traveling for work) is Chop restaurant attached to the hotel. I always have a great experience at Chop restaurants and having the hotel/restaurant combined is a bonus when traveling for business.

Room Tip: Rooms on the inside have high humidity and heat due to walking out to the indoor pool area. Rooms a...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank teestar
Reviewed April 20, 2013 via mobile

Would not stay here again. We showed up in the late evening after a very long day and an online booking. The clerk could not find it for quite some time so I asked for an upgrade to the room. She did accommodate but failed to tell us we would have to haul our suitcases up 2 flights of stairs. Was so tired I would have taken any room to avoid that. Great location to west Ed mall and decent price but rooms dated and need an upgrade.

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed April 15, 2013

So I stay at Sandman locations frequently and have stayed at this one in the past. However the rooms are getting very worn. that being said the Chop is a very good restaraunt for dinner and there is a good breakfast restaraunt as well. The front desk staff are helpful and the rate is lower than some other hotels in the area.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business