“GREAT HOTEL, GREAT LOCATION” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Sandman Hotel Edmonton West
Ranked #79 of 93 Hotels in Edmonton
St. Paul, Canada
“GREAT HOTEL, GREAT LOCATION”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2013 via mobile

This is a great hotel in a great location. Rooms are a nice size. Pool is neat. Great service. Staff are very friendly and helpful. The only down fall to this hotel is getting around the actual hotel. No elevators. Just stairs.....everywhere! The restaurants attached to the hotel (Chop and Denny's) are both great and very convenient!

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank hardtolove9999

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2013

Great location for what I was looking for. Rooms are outdated and smell stale from the indoor pool,beds are old and entire room in need of work. On the up side the staff are friendly and the food at chop is awesome. I had the filet of beef it was cooked medium as I asked and very tender, I sat at the bar as I was traveling alone, the bar maid and waitress were very friendly.

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank Bbjuic
Calgary, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2013

We spent two nights in this place, and never again!!!! We were on the first floor, and the first thing you experience are the filthy, and I mean filthy carpets,on the stairs and in the halls. The maintenance department room is on that floor as well and the cigarette smoke billowing out of there and down the hall is disgusting.
The rooms are small, old, and not very clean! The room at one point must have been a smoking room, because it had that faint smell of old cigarettes. The beds are very hard and uncomfortable, and the doors don't seal shut at all. There were a few times people were talking in the hall, and I swear I thought they were at the end of my bed.
We had to stay the two nights because my son had a soccer tournament and everything else in the city was booked....but never again!
I have stayed in other Sandman's and have had a great experiences, but this was a hugh disappointment.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel!!!!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
St. John's, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2012

The hotel lobby looks nice, but the room we stayed in was pretty dingy because it faced the pool area of the hotel which was inside. So we had a window that looked on an enclosed pool area, no outside view whatsoever. The room was cramped, had little floor space and just seemed slightly outdated. Location in the city was decent, near the West Ed mall if that's a big part of your trip. I'd go back but I'd probably look elsewhere first.

Room Tip: If we were aware of the hotel layout we would have asked for a room that had a window to the outside...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank cheryl_h6783
Saskatchewan
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2012

We were in a pinch one night in the city, and were looking for a place that would take 5 people. After looking for quite some time, we came across the Sandman Hotel. The lady at the front desk was pleasant enough and was able to help us out by getting us a room for the night. That's pretty much where the "pleasant" part of this Hotel ends.

The hallways were not clean, the room cleanliness was highly questionable, and every floor reeked of cigarette smoke. The "large" room was farrrr from large at all, and in fact, seemed way too crowded, just barely fitting a hide-a-bed, small kitchen area with the coffee maker and a sink, and the tv. The main bedroom wasn't any better. Beds were way less than comfortable, and there were STAINS on the blankets. We went down to the main desk to ask for an extra blanket and pillow for our extra person, and the other lady there who did not book us in, was not at all pleasant.

Not much more a person can say about this place. Yes, it was a place to put our heads for the night, but really NOT worth the money we spent, and we would not ever stay there again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Shelelagh
Grande Prairie, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2012

When we booked a room we were told that there would be room for all 5 of us, but, the room there wasn't. There was one queen sized bed with a couch (hide a bed) with very little room to walk around the beds. We made do and put the couch cushions on the floor but had a difficult time getting enough blankets and pillows for everyone. The pool was small and cold and the hot tub was luke warm not hot. The hot tub was also very deep when sitting or standing. I had to sit on my knees and I am 5'5".

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Kilmarnock, Scotland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2012

I have read the reviews for the Sandman. My wife and I spent four nights here. We were in Room 115 and next to a main road. We had hardly any noise pollution at all, including the usual hotel noise you would expect. The hotel has a 11pm to 7am quiet policy. The pop and ice machine were right outside our door - no problem there!

The room was comfortable and the bed also.

The usual Sandman type pool and hot tub (bubbly bath!) inside. Not too bad at all. The front desk staff and the house/cleaning staff were top notch and helpful. My wife has bed knees and can't walk very well without her stick, so a bottom floor room was welcomed. I noted the absence of a lift/elevator - perhaps we didn't see it.

The Hotel has a Dennys (great breakfast), and the Chop Restaurant attached. Both great. The food at the Chop is slightly more expensive, but is excellent.

I can't remember how much we paid for the room as we paid before leaving Scotland, but in my opinion, it was worth the money! Every time we visit Edmonton (this is our 3rd visit), we stay at the Sandman, and I see no reason to change.

Only one problem was the Internet suite's up and download speed - I could write faster myself lol! I will bring my own laptop next time!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank TheTrain546
gm_edmonton, General Manager at Sandman Hotel Edmonton West, responded to this review, September 7, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

I wanted to thank you for your feedback on your most recent stay. I was pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay and that our staff made a lasting impression on your and your wife.

I did want to address your comment regarding the internet. We are aware that some areas of the hotel have a weaker signal than others. We do have plans to upgrade our internet service in the very near future and this issue should be rectified by your next stay.

Thank you and we look forward to seeing you again.

Charlene Piche