“Would never stay again”

Sandman Hotel Edmonton West
Ranked #78 of 93 Hotels in Edmonton
Reviewed October 22, 2012

We were in a pinch one night in the city, and were looking for a place that would take 5 people. After looking for quite some time, we came across the Sandman Hotel. The lady at the front desk was pleasant enough and was able to help us out by getting us a room for the night. That's pretty much where the "pleasant" part of this Hotel ends.

The hallways were not clean, the room cleanliness was highly questionable, and every floor reeked of cigarette smoke. The "large" room was farrrr from large at all, and in fact, seemed way too crowded, just barely fitting a hide-a-bed, small kitchen area with the coffee maker and a sink, and the tv. The main bedroom wasn't any better. Beds were way less than comfortable, and there were STAINS on the blankets. We went down to the main desk to ask for an extra blanket and pillow for our extra person, and the other lady there who did not book us in, was not at all pleasant.

Not much more a person can say about this place. Yes, it was a place to put our heads for the night, but really NOT worth the money we spent, and we would not ever stay there again.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Shelelagh

Reviewed October 17, 2012

When we booked a room we were told that there would be room for all 5 of us, but, the room there wasn't. There was one queen sized bed with a couch (hide a bed) with very little room to walk around the beds. We made do and put the couch cushions on the floor but had a difficult time getting enough blankets and pillows for everyone. The pool was small and cold and the hot tub was luke warm not hot. The hot tub was also very deep when sitting or standing. I had to sit on my knees and I am 5'5".

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 4, 2012

I have read the reviews for the Sandman. My wife and I spent four nights here. We were in Room 115 and next to a main road. We had hardly any noise pollution at all, including the usual hotel noise you would expect. The hotel has a 11pm to 7am quiet policy. The pop and ice machine were right outside our door - no problem there!

The room was comfortable and the bed also.

The usual Sandman type pool and hot tub (bubbly bath!) inside. Not too bad at all. The front desk staff and the house/cleaning staff were top notch and helpful. My wife has bed knees and can't walk very well without her stick, so a bottom floor room was welcomed. I noted the absence of a lift/elevator - perhaps we didn't see it.

The Hotel has a Dennys (great breakfast), and the Chop Restaurant attached. Both great. The food at the Chop is slightly more expensive, but is excellent.

I can't remember how much we paid for the room as we paid before leaving Scotland, but in my opinion, it was worth the money! Every time we visit Edmonton (this is our 3rd visit), we stay at the Sandman, and I see no reason to change.

Only one problem was the Internet suite's up and download speed - I could write faster myself lol! I will bring my own laptop next time!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank TheTrain546
gm_edmonton, General Manager at Sandman Hotel Edmonton West, responded to this reviewResponded September 7, 2012

Dear Valued Guest,

I wanted to thank you for your feedback on your most recent stay. I was pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay and that our staff made a lasting impression on your and your wife.

I did want to address your comment regarding the internet. We are aware that some areas of the hotel have a weaker signal than others. We do have plans to upgrade our internet service in the very near future and this issue should be rectified by your next stay.

Thank you and we look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed August 28, 2012

checked into this hotel late on aug 27. Hallways were dirty and carpet in hallway had signs where either people had thrown up or other bad stains. Room was small and had the immediate smell of smoke, javex and musty.
The beds were hard and uncomfortable. After about an hour I was coughing so bad that I had to leave. Told girl at front desk that I was checking out and that the hotel room was disgusting. She said she told me she had to charge me half!!! I refused and asked for manager and she gives me his card. I told her I don't want his card , I just ant out and she complied
NOT SURE WHAT HAS HAPPENED TO THIS PLACE BUT IT NEEDS WORK!!

Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Gronk49

Dear valued guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your most recent stay. It is feedback such as yours that assist us in offering the best possible product and service. It is clear from your comments that we did not live up to your expectations in either product or service. For this, I offer my most sincere apologies.

I am pleased to inform you that on top of upcoming in-room upgrades (ie: new carpet, new mattresses and flat screen TVs), we are also in the process of building an addition onto the rear of the property. When completed, this tower will offer brand new suites in a variety of configurations.

Of course I recognize that our future plan does not erase the experience you had. If you would like, please contact me directly at the hotel at your earliest convenience so that I may discuss this with you further.

Reviewed August 23, 2012

When checking in an unhappy guest was at the front desk complaining, this should have been my first clue. This hotel was worse than many of the five and dime motels you may have stayed at. The rooms were absolutely disgusting....the bathroom I was even afraid to use. The shower head had not been cleaned it what looked like decades and some unknown substance loomed on the bathroom wall. The carpets were stained beyond dirty as well as the couches....the night time front desk person had to come and fix the toilet which he was clearly unhappy about and upon leaving he chastised my friends and I for talking..."it seems that you are having a little meeting here, make sure you are considerate of everyone else..." with that he huffed out of the room and slammed the door behind him. NO ELEVATOR. I recieved $20 off when complaining at check out.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank DonWar
Reviewed August 1, 2012

My son stayed there with friends of the family Friday, July 27th & Saturday July 28th.
He had left his expensive headphones out when he left to go to the mall on Saturday. When he checked out Sunday morning they were missing. He reported it to the front desk they said there was nothing they could do about it. I have since called and left messages for the managers. She has yet to return my call.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Colette R
gm_edmonton, General Manager at Sandman Hotel Edmonton West, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2012

Good day,

Thank you for your review. I understand your frustration in regards to your lost item. As I mentioned in our discussion, the hotel is more than happy to assist in any way possible, however we cannot take responsibility for lost items.

I am truly sorry that belongings were lost. If there is anything more I can do to assist in this matter, please feel free to contact me directly.

Reviewed July 26, 2012

Everytime we travel to Edmonton we stay at the Sandman, our last stay was very disappointing.
It usually is a very nice place to stay and with Denny's there makes it so much better, but the last time the hotel was so dirty, just disgusting. Staff didn't seem to even care.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family

Good day,

First, I would like to thank you for your review of your most recent stay. Although I am never pleased to hear of one of our guests having an unsatifactory experience, I am thankful you took the time to bring them to our attention.

We strive daily to improve our product and our service. I would be more than happy to discuss the details of your stay so that we may focus on those areas for improvement.

There are many projects in place to improve our product. We are also constructing a brand new tower to be connected to the hotel offering brand new rooms, with new configurations. We are very excited for this developement.

You mentioned that you stay with us often, I would hate for one experience to ruin that relationship. Should you wish to book again, please contact me directly. I would be more than happy to personally handle your reservations and show you that we are in fact improving all aspects of our product and services.

Thank you again for taking the time to bring your concerns forward. I do look forward to hearing from you.