“Hotel has sooo went downhill :(”

Sandman Hotel Edmonton West
Ranked #77 of 91 Hotels in Edmonton
Reviewed July 26, 2012

Everytime we travel to Edmonton we stay at the Sandman, our last stay was very disappointing.
It usually is a very nice place to stay and with Denny's there makes it so much better, but the last time the hotel was so dirty, just disgusting. Staff didn't seem to even care.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
gm_edmonton, General Manager at Sandman Hotel Edmonton West, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2012

Good day,

First, I would like to thank you for your review of your most recent stay. Although I am never pleased to hear of one of our guests having an unsatifactory experience, I am thankful you took the time to bring them to our attention.

We strive daily to improve our product and our service. I would be more than happy to discuss the details of your stay so that we may focus on those areas for improvement.

There are many projects in place to improve our product. We are also constructing a brand new tower to be connected to the hotel offering brand new rooms, with new configurations. We are very excited for this developement.

You mentioned that you stay with us often, I would hate for one experience to ruin that relationship. Should you wish to book again, please contact me directly. I would be more than happy to personally handle your reservations and show you that we are in fact improving all aspects of our product and services.

Thank you again for taking the time to bring your concerns forward. I do look forward to hearing from you.

Charlene Piche

Reviewed July 22, 2012

Stayed July 10th, 2012. I got to say, this was the best hotel I've ever been to. I feared that since I've seen the reviews about how dirty it is, I was thinking to myself, "What have I done?". When we first walked in to the hotel, the clerk was cute and very nice. I've noticed there wasn't any elevators which sucked. But since we were on the 1st floor, I told myself "Thank god". There was an entry way to the first floor, near the atrium pool which was nice. No stairs, just a slide in. Once we got in the hotel room (109), it looked really nice. The bathroom towels weren't stained, the beds were so comfortable, no bed bugs, except the carpet was a little dirty, but we don't mind. The TV was the first thing that came to mind. So we watched it and enjoyed the SHAW TV channels. Walking distance to West Ed only took 20-30 minutes, but it was great. There were Denny's, a steakhouse and bar, McDonald's, Pizza Hut. It was like heaven to me. The only thing that kinda pissed me off, was the very slow Wi-Fi... ugh. But we got free wi-fi at McDonald's and Denny's, so good thing it worked. Overall, this vacation was the best vacation I ever had. Can't wait to stay there again next year!

Room Tip: Rooms with the view of the parking area/highway, so you can see everything what's going on in Ed...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 19, 2012

Very disappointed. When i first walked in it looked awesome. Very classy. But...Our room had 4 dirty stained towels, dirty stained sheets on the boxspring and blood stain on the bedspread. There was a huge carpet wrinkle in the center of the carpet. Mold in the bathroom corners. I had to ask for clean towels everyday. I spoke to the housekeeping manager and he said the sheets were "probably clean but just stained" and shrugged it off. We were there for 6 nights. Finally on the day of check out, the girl at the front desk reduced our rate and was very concerned and accomidating. The attatched Denny's had good service.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed June 18, 2012

Stayed here for 3 nights and it was brutal. Though the lobby is renovated, once you get to the rooms they are dated and old. Our initially room was in such poor shape we changed rooms, yet the second was just as bad. The room was musty, moldy and we both ended up getting sick upon returning home, and though we have no proof, we figured it was from the rooms and lack of decent sleep over 3 nights. Only positive of the hotel is its nearby the mall, about a 25 min walk. I would not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Leslie B
Reviewed April 27, 2012

Stayed here with a kids sports group. It's your average Sandman hotel. Got a great rate and the staff were polite, not necessarily friendly, but not rude. Our rooms were clean, but small. Denny's is onsite, but unless you get there before 7am, you won't be eating your breakfast until the afternoon - it's that busy! The centre of the hotel has the pool and large deck that you can sit and play cards, or visit while still keeping an eye on overly excited kids. My biggest complaint is that the hotel is built like a maze around the centre atrium, you constantly get lost. There are no elevators, so pack light! Or at least make sure your kids pack their own hockey equipment up the stairs! The location itself of the hotel is very good. Turn left out the parking lot and drive for a few km - there's West Edmonton Mall! You can walk to the Terra Losa Shopping Centre. You'd pass by Best Buy (next door to the hotel), Urban Barn, Great Canadian Superstore, Target, and the shopping centre has Toys R Us, Chapters, Future Shop. A variety of restaurants are nearby - but don't forget Fuss Cupcakes! Walking distance down Stony Plain Road!

Room Tip: Rooms facing in to the pool atrium are loud. Take an outside room for quiet, and a first floor room...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank northerncamper4
Reviewed April 19, 2012

So April fools night 2012 my bathroom backs up and the maintenance guy shows up and says well we gotta take out te toilet don't know how long we're gonna be so... I decide to get my babies(7 months and 4) out of here considering one bathroom and the equipment the guy brought in was loud ... Pull up to the sandman and the first lady we encountered at the desk was horrible I told her what was happening and that i needed a room this is 1045 pm and she's rolling her eyes at me being incredibly rude about the damage deposit which I expected to pay because I don't have a credit card but she made the horrible experience o the night even harder we had to leave and went back because my son saw the pool and wanted I stay there ... The next lady was better but still they were overall very condiscending and uncaring... The rooms were okay and it was nice to have a Denny's on site an oh when I checked in I asked for a late checkout just in case my babies slept in and wanted to relax and swim before goin home and the lady said okay 2 but luckily I checked before breakfast because there's no such thing as a 2 pm checkout ..... Is there no communication?? Could they have been more compassion and empathy when a potential guest comes in with 2 small children ..... Its up to u to choose to stay but don't check in after 10

• Stayed: April 2012
2  Thank Sadie21Aidan22
Reviewed April 11, 2012

Stayed here with a group traveling for a sporting event. Went to bed late to awake earley to blood stains on sheets and a bug on pillow next to me. When I brought it to the attention of staff they were apologetic. There was deffinite signs of bugs in 3 seperate rooms. It has taken 2 weeks and multiple calls to Sandman managment to have them return any of my calls.They refuse to pay for any of the cleaning bills. (dry cleaning of sporting equip, detail of vehicle, replace any luggage that cant be washed) While I realize this is the chances you take while traveling and is becoming more common I do wish Sandman had a little more to offer than free nights stay....

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends