“The night staff was bad....”

Sandman Hotel Edmonton West
Ranked #78 of 93 Hotels in Edmonton
Reviewed April 19, 2012

So April fools night 2012 my bathroom backs up and the maintenance guy shows up and says well we gotta take out te toilet don't know how long we're gonna be so... I decide to get my babies(7 months and 4) out of here considering one bathroom and the equipment the guy brought in was loud ... Pull up to the sandman and the first lady we encountered at the desk was horrible I told her what was happening and that i needed a room this is 1045 pm and she's rolling her eyes at me being incredibly rude about the damage deposit which I expected to pay because I don't have a credit card but she made the horrible experience o the night even harder we had to leave and went back because my son saw the pool and wanted I stay there ... The next lady was better but still they were overall very condiscending and uncaring... The rooms were okay and it was nice to have a Denny's on site an oh when I checked in I asked for a late checkout just in case my babies slept in and wanted to relax and swim before goin home and the lady said okay 2 but luckily I checked before breakfast because there's no such thing as a 2 pm checkout ..... Is there no communication?? Could they have been more compassion and empathy when a potential guest comes in with 2 small children ..... Its up to u to choose to stay but don't check in after 10

• Stayed: April 2012
2  Thank Sadie21Aidan22

Reviewed April 11, 2012

Stayed here with a group traveling for a sporting event. Went to bed late to awake earley to blood stains on sheets and a bug on pillow next to me. When I brought it to the attention of staff they were apologetic. There was deffinite signs of bugs in 3 seperate rooms. It has taken 2 weeks and multiple calls to Sandman managment to have them return any of my calls.They refuse to pay for any of the cleaning bills. (dry cleaning of sporting equip, detail of vehicle, replace any luggage that cant be washed) While I realize this is the chances you take while traveling and is becoming more common I do wish Sandman had a little more to offer than free nights stay....

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
6  Thank famtrav479
Reviewed March 22, 2012

My daughter was competing in a cheerleading event at West Edmonton Mall. Great location - not far from mall. Very clean and some close restaurants. Denny's is in the hotel but is always too busy especially for breakfast!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank singlemomtraveller
Reviewed February 20, 2012

I gave this hotel a go due to the lack of other hotels available at that time.
The lobby was new and check in was smooth.
The Rooms - need a serious update! They were clean, but not spotless. They need to replace the carpets. The carpets have let go and there are bunches in the middle of the room. It was obvious that the house keeper has not vacuumed the edges of the room in a very long while! We had a pool side room the location was dandy, however the locks on the sliding door are poor. They were dificult to lock and not very sturdy. I decided not to leave my Ipad in the room due to this. The rooms are small but with a pool side room it was not a big deal. There is no way they could fit 2 queen size beds in the rooms. The bathroom was updated.
The Pool - The swimming pool was nice, No waterslide, so it felt like a pool. The hot tub is too deep to sit in it for long periods. I did see the maintanence man cleaning the pools daily but the hot tub always had a discusting scum on top.
The hallways had a mothball smell. The lack of security in the hotel is a problem around 2 am.
Check out was fine.
Over all not a great hotel, certanly not up to the rest of the Sandman Inn's standards. There are plenty of options within a block of this hotel. I will plan ahead next time to find a better hotel for my next west ed mall trip.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank RDSchro
Reviewed October 22, 2011

The experience was bad right from the moment I walked into the lobby.I won`t be back.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
3  Thank aregee
Reviewed October 6, 2011

I am sad to report that this hotel has issues that should be addressed asap.First of all,on the second floor in the hallway there was an odour I couldn`t identify.Probably the carpet.Staff,from housekeepers to front desk,were without smiles and somewhat dismissive.I had order and watched a movie and without me mentioning this, the desk clerk at the time wouldn`t have adjusted my credit card for the exact charge and would have left it as the 20 dollar deposit.I was not very impressed and don`t think I will stay there again.

Room Tip: Choose outside wall for a window not looking at the pool,noisy,chlorine smell
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank Randy G
Reviewed September 27, 2011

this is by far the worst hotel i have ever stayed in, The first night i got there it wasent even an hour and i had to change rooms because there was mice in my room, They dont have cameras in their parking lots or security on sundays, out back of the hotel are many suspisious people and hooligans hanging out all around there, My truck was broken into and the people stole all my things on this trip, The staff were very unhelpful in this situation, kinda like an ohwell type attitude. The internet sucks aswell, I would never recomend this hotel to anyone, worst experience ever.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business