Sandman Hotel Edmonton West
Union Bank Inn(Edmonton)
$139
Union Bank Inn
  • Breakfast included
All reviewstower rooms aredennys restaurantwasher dryerwalk in showerking suitequick checkbreakfast barstaying at this hotelupon checkenjoyed my stayreno
Reviewed October 10, 2007

My mom, sister, and I stayed at the Sandman recently to celebrate my moms 75th birthday. I was concerned after reading several poor reviews but I am happy to say that we found the hotel very comfortable and conveniently located for our activities.

We were able to check in early (11 am) and the clerk was very plesant and proffesional. We were able to get a room on the lower level, and We all found it clean and the beds were not too uncomfortable, and there was enough space in the room for us all to relax in the afternoon and get ready for dinner that evening.
All the usual amenities were there-iron, coffee pot etc, I must say that I was pleasantly surprised when we were able to get an extra package of coffee from the maids in the morning...that is unusual, My sister and I enjoyed the hot tub and swimming pool in the morning for a while-not too crowded, and they look like they are still doing renovations, but the courtyard was nice.

The only draw back I can see is that the restaurant (Dennys) is very busy...we did not eat there, as both times we tried there was a 20 min to 1/2 hour wait...so if you want to eat there get there early in the morning not at check out time.

I would stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled with family
Reviewed July 30, 2007

After reading a few of these reviews, I went there anyway. What a mistake ! I had it booked for two days, but left the next day. The hallways were extremly dirty, with messy food trays & bedding. I went to get some ice....and guess what THERE WAS NONE. Not even on any floor ! I I than proceeded to buy a ice cold pop from the vending machine......NO POP....ALL SOLD OUT. Since I was spitting sand at this point, I went to the front desk, and they said they would have a nice ICE COLD jug of ice water to my room in 5 minutes. 25 minutes later, I went down to the denny's and got a picture myself. The bedding by the way......TERRIBLE, The pillows were so fat , My neck will never be the same. We ended up using the pillows from the couch, put into the pillow case, in order to sleep at all. If there was one hope of goodness from this place...it had to be there " CHOPS " restraunt. We had our dinner there and it was first class.
Over all.......I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND THIS PLACE AT ALL. We went down the road to Best Western and it was very nice !

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank engraver
Reviewed July 16, 2007

The hotel was linked to an online booking site (roomhopper.com) which (Sandman staff said) double-booked our room. They gave us alternate accomodations in a room so small, you could just walk around the bed. But it was very clean & cosy, and the staff was apologetic. To compensate for the mix-up, we got a crappy free breakfast at Denny's (ick-greasy).

If you want a place to crash after shopping west-ed all day, it's fine for that. But if you care about spending more time at the hotel, we thought the pool looked intriguing with the skylights and foliage. Just be careful when you book. We will phone them directly next time.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 25, 2006

My husband and I came from the UK and stayed in Edmonton for 3 weeks looking around for a house to buy because we are emigrating out here. What can I say - the Sandman is a fantastic hotel. Okay, it is basic, but the staff definately make this hotel an above average hotel for the price range. They were always courteous and willing to go beyond the call of duty. I don't understand the reviews where people are saying it was dirty and disgusting...our room was cleaned everyday and the rest of the hotel including the gym and the pool were spotless.

If you are coming to Edmonton and want somewhere to stay which is just minutes from the Mall then I would definately recommend this place. There were plenty of people with children and the 24 hour onsite Denny's is a plus.

We will be coming back and staying here again!

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank happyshopper123
Reviewed July 31, 2006

We recently stayed at the Sandman Hotel in West Edmonton. Needless to say a little to long for my liking. During our stay we found a huge red stain on a blanket. After the first two days of room service cleaning our room and not changing the blanket on the third day I took the blanket off the bed handed right to her and said this is disgusting and has been like this since we checked in. Not to mention that the toilets are never cleaned or the bathroom floors. No wonder I contracted an infection from the hotel filth. I never once saw anyone cleaning the fitness facility, not even a bottle with sanitizer to clean the machines after. We also saw a mouse running down the hallway, found a nail sticking out of our bed. The evening manager at the time offered to have us change rooms, and told me to keep my voice down after I brought to his attention everything that we had already experienced. Not to mention movies being charged to our room, when we weren't even in the room. Or the vent cover over the pool that was ready to fall any minute. Until I brought it to their attention. Or the airconditioners that don't even cool down the room. I finally took the filter out myself to clean it only to find about four inches of dirt on it. I would definately advise anyone against staying there. It is filthy, the service is horrible and if your looking to bring back an infection like I did, then by all means stay there.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled with family