“A respectful, caring, and reassuring eating experience - oh and did I mention it was delicious?.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Chop Steakhouse & Bar

Chop Steakhouse & Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Chop Steakhouse & Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #28 of 2,376 Restaurants in Edmonton
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse, Bar, Grill, Canadian
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Bar scene, Families with children, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Ellerslie Road and Calgary Trail
Description: Chop Steakhouse's South Edmonton restaurant features steak, seafood and drink specials; located near Gateway Blvd & Calgary Trail in the Sandman.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2013

I have a severe food allergy. White potatoes and my immune system just do not get along to the point that I've been hospitalized with anaphylaxis by unknowingly being exposed more than once. I have to be very, very careful and a new restaurant is always uncharted and scary territory for me. I have a card I present right when I step in the door - it's based on an allergy alert card from the Anaphylaxis Canada website.

We went to Edmonton to celebrate Mother's Day with my Mom. Stayed at a different hotel because we'd had a negative experience at the hotel/restaurant we'd always stayed at before. They only get one chance to screw up! So we went to the Sandman in Ellerslie. "Chop" is located in that motel. From the moment we stepped into the restaurant, my allergy was taken seriously. I usually get the standard phrase "we can't guarantee your safety 100%". That didn't happen here. First the manager came to speak to me with our server. We were seated and then they took my card and went to speak to the chef. They came back with the chef's instructions - pick something from the menu and he will decide if it is safe for me or not. My first selection was nixxed because the sauce was not made "in-house" so he would not take the risk of serving it to me in case of cross-contamination where ever it was made. My second choice was perfect - he had control over every ingredient. He then assigned 2 of his sous chefs to prepare our meals. One for me and one for my husband. Neither one of them had been in contact with potatoes during their entire shift. All ingredients were pulled from the cooler - again where they would not have had any chance of cross-contamination.

How do I know this? Because once my meal was being prepared, the chef himself came out to talk to me and to explain how they were preparing my meal and my husband's meal. Do you know how many people realize that the spouse's meal is just as important when it comes to contamination as the person with the allergy? Very, very, very few!!!! Amazing! We were so impressed! And that was before we even tasted the meal.

The meal - well, I have to say it was so delicious that I ate every little bit - to the point where after ward you feel a little sick because you ate so much. Do I regret that? Not on your life! That was a truly wonderful evening and I felt safe. One of the hostesses (who was not involved in my meal at all) approached me to ask about my allergy, not out of curiosity or anything to do with her job, but because one of her friends also had a severe allergy and she wanted to understand how I deal with it. This tells me that all the staff had been alerted to my allergy which is a reassuring safety protocol. I explained to her about the card and that usually the reaction to the card by the restaurant staff will tell us whether we are going to stay and eat there or whether we're going somewhere else. The chef told me that very few people use a card to describe their allergy that prescribes a method of preparation for the meal. He wished more people would use it as it helps the kitchen immensely - especially for people with multiple food allergies.

I do not write these reviews lightly. It's either because they were extremely competent or blatantly incompetent. Obviously, this is one I would highly recommend if you have a food allergy; and if you don't? Lucky you! You can choose from the entire delicious menu! Thank you to the staff for their dedication and reassuring service. You made our experience a real pleasure and we will definitely be back the next time we visit from BC.

Red Deer, Alberta, Canada
“All the right moves”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2013

5 th year anniversary and I let my wife pick where she wants to eat. To my joy she chooses Chop. We have tried Chop at Calgary, Kelowna and both Edmonton locations, but the south Edmonton location is by far the most attractive one. The meals are always to notch and the desserts are always incredible.
We came in at 8:30 and were seated at a semi private table as we had requested in our reservation. We asked out waiter Greg to recommend a cocktail for my wife, something fruity and not too strong, and he suggested the Pink Lemonade. It was exactly what she wanted.
We did not order any appetizers because I decided to go big with the Entree. My wife ordered the large Filet mignon with baked potatoe. She said it was cooked exactly as she ordered it and found the baked potato good and the reduction was amazing. She gave me a bite and I have to agree. I ordered the rib eye with a side of lobster. I was not clear with my waiter and I received the the bone-in one. It was very different but very good. The outer crust of spices was amazing! I ordered the fries but they came out lukewarm. In such a high concept place, their fries are incredible. I didn't bother complaining because I also had a full lobster tail to deal with.
Then came dessert... Nothing can prepare you for how good Chop does dessert. We ordered the raspberry crime brûlée and the chocolate soufflé. One of Greg's few mistakes was ordering us the chocolate cake instead. Two bites in we noticed, but it was so good we just stayed with it. The brûlée was amazing as always and the accompanying shortbread cookies were the best I have ever had at the many past visits we have had at Chop.
The bill was hefty but totally worth it. Greg also brought out a card for our celebration that included a coupon for a free appy next time. Very classy. Thank you Chop for making our special day even that much better with great food and thank you Greg for giving us such attentive service. One of my favorite places and I recommend giving them a chance

• 5 of 5 bubbles
“Amazing food and nice atmosphere”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2013 via mobile

Ate dinner with my wife and our seven year old daughters on a Saturday evening, the service was great and the food was outstanding with very good portion size. The Caesars where mixed perfectly! The one critique I would offer is to provide a coloring sheet with a couple crayons for children.

Visited May 2013
Oklahoma
“Unremarkable but service wins”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2013

Appetizer platter was fine.
Filet mignon was anemic. Passable but not remarkable.
Molten chocolate souffle came out as a slice of pie.
Waitress was personable. Manageress seemed to not understand what a souffle is.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank SingaporeStembers
BC
“typical Bar and grill”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2013

This is a good place to eat, just a bit pricy. drinks were quite expensive and the food was good but not spectacular, a little over priced and the selection was not the greatest

Visited May 2013