“Insensitive Staff”
Review of Cafe O'Play

Cafe O'Play
Ranked #64 of 80 Coffee & Tea in Edmonton
Description: In the Cafe O'Play Indoor Playground, children have access to a safe, secure and clean environment that includes just under 1,000 square feet of play area. Guardians are able to enjoy fresh, healthy, local and organic foods and beverages while supervising their children as they play.
Reviewed August 23, 2013

I would rate this place as a 0/5. I have visited both Cafe O Play in RiverBend and Sherwood Park. RiverBend was a lot nice but smaller. This review is for the Sherwood Park location. My friend and I were charged an admission fee (never been charged at RiverBend for that) we were then advised no outside food.

I was feeding my babe formula and some puffs and the young guy (Clearly has no kids and was very insensitive) came and told me no outside food including formula as it may provide "allergens" in the air. The did not provide food my babe would eat. What was I meant to do, he was hungry, he doesn't like pre-packaged baby food and the only selection of fruit they had was bananas and he doesn't eat them and he doesn't like Mum-Mum's.

I would highly recommend not visiting this place. It was also cold and we are still in Summer, I can only imagine how cold that place gets in winter with a concrete floor.

Will never be visiting this place again. The need to employ staff who are sensitive and possibly have children to understand that sometimes the food they supply is not what you babe eats. Babie can be so fussy!!!

Also there is really nothing for a 9 month old to do at this cafe either, he is too tall for an exersaucer and I didn't feel like putting him on the ground to be trodden on by older kids.

NicGa78, Owner of Riverbend Location at Cafe O'Play, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2013

Thank you for your review. We appreciate all feedback we receive to be better able to provide great service to our customers. The owners of the Sherwood Park location would like to welcome you to contact them to talk about your experience and would love the opportunity to apologize. Please call the café at (780) 467-1216 and ask for one of the owners. Thank you.

Reviewed August 19, 2013

Friends and I love going to this place to hang out and chat, and I have even gone a few times with just my little guy to change things up. The train set is always a hit and the only problems I have ever encountered were because parents weren't watching their kids and letting them be rude to other kids. Great concept!

Reviewed June 27, 2013

I love Cafe O'play. They are the very first indoor playground for children who offer amazing coffee, and a relaxed environment for the parents.

Steve and Nicole are fantastic owners, with a flair for excellent business practise.

The menu they offer is not only delicious, but is also very reasonably priced as well.

Great Job Cafe O'play Edmonton- Cant wait to check out Sherwood PArk as well.

Reviewed June 11, 2013

We were a group on ten, the youngest was 7 mths and they would not allow me to feed her the lunch i had brought with me on the premises !!!!!!!!!!!!!. Never experienced such rudeness before. Will never go there again.

NicGa78, Owner at Cafe O'Play, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2013

We do have a nut free policy which means we do not allow any outside food except pablum and formula. In the past, we made exceptions to this rule however too many people were sneaking in nuts. We do not want to put any child in danger and we have severely allergic kids that visit our facility so unfortunately this has resulted in us having to strictly enforce that policy. We do offer healthy and organic options for all ages. I do apologize if our staff came across rudely and we have reviewed how to politely handle this type of situation. If you would like to discuss this further, please email info@cafeoplay.ca.

Reviewed March 23, 2013

My sister and I were asked to leave because her son was crying for a few minutes after another boy pushed him down. It took more then 30 minutes for a sandwich and some coffee and even still out order was wrong. The cleanliness has gone down hill majorly. And the staff has the biggest attuiude problem I have ever encountered and I work in an emergency room where I'm used to people being not so pleasant. I made sure I was refunded for this visit and will never be returning.

We would like to thank you for your review. We cannot be at our business all the time and without feedback we can't ensure that our cafe is run properly when we are not there. We are sorry for your wait for food and drink. Unfortunately that occurs at our cafe because we make all our food to order. We hope to provide the freshest food to our customers. We also deliver all our food to the table so that you don't have to stand and wait. This takes times but also allows for convenience to visit while you wait. As a result, when we get busy it often takes longer to deliver and half hour waits are not uncommon. What is uncommon is an unclean space and poor customer service. This is unacceptable. For that we cannot apologize enough. We sent you a private message a few months ago and hope that we can speak privately to help rectify your experience. Once again, our thanks for a candid review and our apologies for your experience.