“Trying to be one of the great ones, opps, not this time guys!”

Sandman Signature Edmonton South Hotel
Ranked #44 of 91 Hotels in Edmonton
Reviewed May 10, 2013

Looking forward to a conference, networking and visiting with fellow business associates. Conference was great, hotel accommodations; not what I was expecting. After a long drive (6 hours) arrived at the hotel. They changed my room!! (2 queen to a king) OK, lets check it out. I understand, all hotels need handicapped suites (they have 6) and if demand and availability warrant they may need to use one for other guests. Check with the guest first, don't just assign it. Almost 6' tall and a shower that's maybe 4.5'. The desk wants to assign me a different room but after apparent difficulty for them I decide I'm just too tired and frustrated to change rooms because of a shower issue. I can make it work. As well, the desk clerks attempt to help was text book, but lacked sincerity and I could do without the attitude, thanks. At least the window opens...what, no screen in the window. Noise! I'm on the ground floor just off the lobby and next to an entrance/exit, apparently that's where airline crews arrive and depart from at all hours; who knew, lol. Oh well, its only a couple of nights. Live and learn they say. Never again.

Room Tip: Not a high quality experience as the name may suggest.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed May 6, 2013

I enjoyed my one night stay here at the Sandman. The room was nice and big with a huge bathroom. The bed and pillows were extremely comfortable. The internet was super fast and had ton of tv channels. The staff was very accommodating in every way possible. This hotel is about 15-20 minutes from the airport and offer a shuttle. If business calls me to Edmonton in the future I will check this hotel first.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 25, 2013

We like to stay here but the quality of the building is not very good. Other then that we like it. There are two restaurants and shopping is close by. The airport is close as well. The rooms are nice and very comfortable as well

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed April 22, 2013

I have been staying at this hotel at least a couple of days a month for the past 2 years and it has progressively gotten worse and worse. I have stayed in all types of rooms from standard with 2 queen sized beds to the large executive suites and over the past few months the room have just gotten disgusting. Each of the last 3 rooms I have stayed in all smelled like stale chinese food. The countertops in the bathrooms and kitchens are all ditry and look stained, the tile floors are all dirty and stained and there was mould and mildew growing in the tile surrounding the tub. In the last room I staying in (which will be the last) was an executive Suite with a jacuzzi in the bedroom and separate glass surrounded shower. The tile shower base was all stained and dirty and when I used the shower water poured out all over the floor which is also stained. Part of the problem is the design of the rooms - they used white floor and wall tiles with white grout which has obviously all gotten dirty. This is not an inexpensive hotel and I don't think its too much to ask that the room be clean.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank AlbertaTraveller403
Reviewed April 22, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed here for just a night in one of the executive jacuzzi suites (Rm 260). The location was great with just a short drive to all shopping centers and restaurants.

Normally while in Edmonton I stay at a different hotel, but decided to give this one a try. On the website the hotel looked very modern and upscale, but this place has much to be desired (just like one of the other raters had said). The room that was shown online was not how it was in person. Beside the bedsheets the place looked dirty and the furniture and kitchen looked inexpensive and worn. The rate per night was far to expensive for the quality.

On a good note, the beds were comfortable and the staff were very approachable and friendly.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

Our family of five stayed here over Easter weekend. The room was nice but a very tight squeeze. We were told there was a sofa to sleep on but it was a small loveseat and they provided an air mattress. Having an air mattress thrown into an already cramped room was not ideal. Beds were comfy and would have provided a great sleep had our room not been beside the hotels laundry. I am sure those giant machines ran all night. After our first night the cleaning staff made up our room. This was my biggest complaint, the beds were not made up very nice they even left the decorative pillows on the floor. The bedding from the air mattress was still in a jumbled heap on the loveseat and they did not leave any fresh towels and only a few clean glasses. Seeing as our second night was the same price as the first i would have expected a more thorough clean up in my room.
The pool was small and on the second night both it and the hot tub were cold so we didnt even want to use them.
We will not be returning to this hotel.

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed April 7, 2013

My husband booked an executive jaccuzi suite (room 360) for my birthday Saturday April 6/13. Room Considering its a newer hotel and looked very modern and upperclass from the pictures online, our hotel room left much to be desired. Check in went very smooth however after getting out of the elevator the long walk down a very dark hallway towards our room was not reflective of the modern bright decor in the entrance. We got to our "Executive Jaccuzi Suite" opened the door and realized that the kitchen/ sitting room was on such a slant that my water bottle literally rolled from one end of the room to the other. It was so bad that even when we put bottles in the fridge they rolled also. While unpacking we also came across several other deficientcies. I put my I pad down on the glass table in the sitting room and the glass top literally fell off. From there we were sort of in disbelief of the condition of this hotel room that my husband paid quite a lot of money to give me a relaxing night off. We found the the granite countertop in the kitchen was so off level where it was cut that you could actually cut your hand on it if you were not careful. The black tiles with white grout where the jaccuzi tub was as well as the shower was filled with soap scum and felt dirty and grimy. The taps in the jaccuzi are in the wrong spot and not even installed properly. We pulled the cushions off the couch to find not just a little bit of crumbs but lots of crumbs it was disgusting and garbage wrappers from previous guests. In the bathroom the water was turned off on the toilet so it would barely flush. My husband showered and the seal on the glass shower surround was on backwards allowing all the water to go pouring out into the bathroom. Needless to say we were not impressed with our room. My husband fixed the glass table, he re installed the shower seal to ensure it would no longer soak the bathroom during a shower and turned the water on so the toilet would actually flush. Oh and almost forgot, the safety lock on the door that only can be open and closed from the inside to insure our safety was installed on the door trim and can be pulled off with little to no effort at all. I unfortunately cant forget housekeeping knocking on our door at three different times before 11am although our 12 noon checkout time, even allowing themselves into our room unwelcomed was beyond annoying and frustrating. So finally the icing on the cake the air condition / heating unit was so loud throughout the night it ensured we were unable to get a decent night sleep. So if your booking this hotel based on the pics you will find online of a a very modern and posh style hotel beware that you will be let down looks can be deceiving and this hotel was just that, very very deceiving.

Room Tip: Just pick a different hotel PERIOD!
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple