“Cleanliness lacking”

Ranked #36 of 93 Hotels in Edmonton
Calgary
“Cleanliness lacking”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2012

This has to be one of the dirtiest hotels I have stayed in in years. The hallways were always dirty (I don't think they vaccumed them once during my stay), there was roomservice trays in the hall for days and when I asked the housekeeping staff to take care of them they moved them accross the hall. The room was not better, after my second day in the room I tried to use the garbage can under the sink and it was full of someone elses garbage from prior to my check in.

I would not stay at this establishment again. In fact had there been room at other hotels in the area I would have moved after 1 night.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Calgary, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2012

I travel fairly regularly to Edmonton on business. The hotel I usually stay at (Marriott Casino) does not provide plug-ins for vehicles, and with overnight low temperatures at -35C, I decided to try something different.

This Sandman is not that old (less than 5 years for sure) and I thought it would fit my needs perfectly.

THE PROS:
It is a very new hotel, and is decorated in a very contemporary fashion. The lobby is very nice, and the staff were very attentive. The rooms are clean, and very comfortable and spacious. My room had a King bed (very comfortable), a small kitchenette, and a separate sitting room/workspace with free high-speed internet access. There were 2 flat screen TV's (but no in room movies). When I first walked in I was very impressed. I reported a burnt out light in my bathroom and it was replaced by the time I returned from dinner.

THE CONS:
In spite of how new the hotel is, it seems that it has not been well taken care of in it's short lifespan. The carpets had begun to fray; the wallpaper in the bathroom had started to peel; the quartz countertops in the kitchenette were stained and scratched. In short, it just seemed like the preventive maintenance hadn't been kept up. Also, when I pulled the sliding door between the kitchen and bedroom closed, there were yellow drip marks running down the door, so apparently the cleaning staff missed that part.

My room was on the fourth floor of the hotel, and it very very hot, in spite of the frigid temperatures outside. I found that I actually had to turn on the air conditioning in order to get to a comfortable sleeping temperature. Between the warm temperature and the traffic noise outside, I didn't get a great night sleep.

FINAL ANALYSIS:
I would probably stay here again, but would sincerely hope that the management will get busy with some basic preventive maintenance.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the main roadway, or you'll hear the traffic all night
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank YYCSpeedy
alberta canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2012

We stayed at this hotel because we had an early flight to catch. Our check in was ok, the lady seemed to always smile while quoting hotel policy but came off very rude and not very helpful. We booked the hotel online and checked in after 9. We were leaving at 5 am and didn't need much. Our room was on the second floor, was nicely decorated and the bed was comfortable. I was very surprised to see how small the room was, I can't believe how much furniture they're able to get into the room. The bathroom wasn't as clean as I'd like but by the time we got into our room we were so tired it didn't matter as much. Check out was much better, the guy at the front desk was quick and I was impressed that they had a latte machine for their guests. Very nice to have when your running late for a flight and need a coffee.
Would I stay here again? I'd probably stay here again just because it's close to the airport, I may check in a bit earlier to make sure our room is cleaner. For short stays it does the job and the bed was comfortable and that's really what we needed.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2012

Very nice rooms and well appointed. The clock actually projects onto the ceiling so you don't have to turn over to see the time or count sheep. Just look up. Good attached restaurants. Just off the highway on the south side of town

• Stayed January 2012
Strathmore, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2012

I have stayed at 5 of the Sandman hotels in Western Canada over the last year, and this is by far the prettiest of the bunch. I typically travel on my own for work, and have always enjoyed my stays at all of them.

The beds are wonderful, all the rooms I've stayed in at this hotel have also been very quiet. I have stayed on the main floor down the hall from the elevator, as well as on the 2nd and 4th floors and have not encountered any noise issues. Staff has always been more than friendly and helpful.

The coffee machine in the lobby is a great touch, far better brew than that in the rooms, but it can get lined up in the morning when everyone is on their way out.

The rooms I do find a bit dark with no overhead lighting. I like that the desks are built in and have internet connection and plug ins handy.

Again, a very boutique feeling hotel without the crazy prices you can pay elsewhere.

Chop restaurant is very good, a nice splurge for dinner. Rockford is for sure more reasonable, and I like the big booths they have - I will often spend part of my evening working in there while enjoying a glass of wine and dinner.

My last stay was in November 2011, and will be back there again next week (end of Jan 2012) for work.

Don't forget to get your Lucky 13 card - stay 12 nights and get the 13th free. And its good for any hotel, anywhere, anytime with no blackout dates. Bonus!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the south side of the hotel - just overlooks the rear parking area - quiet!
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Langford, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2012

I stayed at this hotel two nights ago for work for the second time in about six months. Both times the night clerk (Dwayne?) has been cheerful, polite and helpful.

The rooms are clean, spacious, have good heating/a/c systems and very comfortable beds. The decor and fixtures are modern and stylish.

The room I stayed in had two queen size beds, good quality bedding and nice thick comfortable pillows.

On the down side, there was a fair amount of traffic noise and the pop machine right across the hallway from my room was very loud. You may want earplugs to enjoy an undisturbed sleep.....I did!

There was a small refrigerator and microwave in the room, but the fridge had no freezer, so if you have an ice pack to keep frozen, you will have to make arrangements to have the front desk look after that.

I can't comment on the price because my company made the arrangements and I do not know what they paid for the room. If the price is reasonable, I would definitely recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for room away from traffic noise and pop machines.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Fort Worth, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2011

Overall I had a great stay at this hotel. I stayed on business last October and the experience was memorable enough that I wanted to give them a positive review.

My only complaint is that it is very dry in Alberta and they should do something to humidifiy the rooms. People from the states are just not used to the dryness there.

Room Tip: Choose a corner room. They tend to be a bit larger and have great views.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business