“Modern, classy and clean, but somewhat noisy.”

Sandman Signature Edmonton South Hotel
Ranked #45 of 93 Hotels in Edmonton
Reviewed January 9, 2012

I stayed at this hotel two nights ago for work for the second time in about six months. Both times the night clerk (Dwayne?) has been cheerful, polite and helpful.

The rooms are clean, spacious, have good heating/a/c systems and very comfortable beds. The decor and fixtures are modern and stylish.

The room I stayed in had two queen size beds, good quality bedding and nice thick comfortable pillows.

On the down side, there was a fair amount of traffic noise and the pop machine right across the hallway from my room was very loud. You may want earplugs to enjoy an undisturbed sleep.....I did!

There was a small refrigerator and microwave in the room, but the fridge had no freezer, so if you have an ice pack to keep frozen, you will have to make arrangements to have the front desk look after that.

I can't comment on the price because my company made the arrangements and I do not know what they paid for the room. If the price is reasonable, I would definitely recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for room away from traffic noise and pop machines.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed December 31, 2011

Overall I had a great stay at this hotel. I stayed on business last October and the experience was memorable enough that I wanted to give them a positive review.

My only complaint is that it is very dry in Alberta and they should do something to humidifiy the rooms. People from the states are just not used to the dryness there.

Room Tip: Choose a corner room. They tend to be a bit larger and have great views.
Reviewed November 13, 2011

We booked this hotel for two adults & two nights over the Remembrance Day long weekend. We booked a King suite, which has a separate living room & kitchen from the bedroom, just so we had some more room to spread out.

We arrived & were impressed with the lobby, it's beautifully done and reminded me of a hotel in Miami. There is a 24hr coffee machine set up but we didn't use it. There is also a small 'grocery shop' that you access with your room key & has some snacks, toiletries, etc. As well as a business centre.

Our room was on the 1st floor and unfortunately also down the hallway that people used to access the pool and attached restaurants. I'm not sure if all King suites are on the 1st floor or if we just got unlucky, but it made it extremely noisy. There is a fairly wide gap under the door, which opens onto tile in the kitchen area - carrying the noise even more. The soundproofing isn't great between rooms/floors either. We could hear someone's TV, people visiting, banging of drawers above us, etc. The first night I caught a staff member in the hall & commented that there was a lot of noise above us..the staff member seemed confused why I was telling him & not sure what to do with the information. No one got back to us, the noise eventually stopped so who knows what happened there.

The room was fairly clean, all except the kitchen. Quite honestly the sink is a horrible design to keep clean, very deep square stainless. There was dried food on the ledge of our sink and the drain area had not been properly cleaned. There were glasses, plates, etc although in odd numbers..only 3 plates vs 6 glasses? There was no dish cloth or towel left in our room, so I called housekeeping for this. They left a dish towel behind but again no cloth. The room has the small coffee maker with the pre-packaged coffee, which we used on the first day..never to be replaced, despite the open wrapper laying on the tray.

The whole hotel/room is quite darkly lit & because we were on the 1st floor with the parking lot outside of our windows, we didn't feel we could always leave them open for light.

The bedroom is nicely set up, there are reading lights built in the headboard as well as night stands. The bed is very comfortable, with nice bedding and pillows. Once things quieted down we both slept very well. There is also a tv mounted on the wall in the bedroom, which if I'm being very picky is mounted about 2 feet too low but not a big deal. Because we were in a king suite there is actually a stacked washer & dryer in a small walkway/closet area between the bedroom & bathroom. This is a nice thought for families or anyone staying longer than a few days, although you have to buy/bring detergent as there is no complimentary one.

The bathroom was well set up, liked the shower head and curved shower curtain. There wasn't a lot of counter space or a place to put your toiletries but there are shelves under the sink that you can use. There are nice complimentary toiletries, if you like citrus scents you'll love the lotion. There were a nice supply of good quality towels as well. The kleenex is the same as you'd see in any office, no kleenex cover for it..which would be a nice touch. Unfortunately the stopper broke in our tub the last morning we were there, which meant I couldn't pull it up to drain. When I mentioned this to hotel staff as we were checking out, there was no apology for the inconvenience, etc. only a 'oh wait wait, I need to write that down so I don't forget what you just said'.

Overall, this was an expensive stay for a slightly disappointing experience. I'm totally put off the King suite & if we were to return I would not choose this type of room again. I think the Housekeeping can make a break a hotel, and this hotel is in danger of losing that battle. When I called for the extra towels the 2nd morning, I told the housekeeping member that we did not need the room made up. Yet when we returned later in the day they had come in our room, which was only evidenced by how the bathroom was made up. The bed was made worse than I had already made it, no coffee replaced, etc. It was as if they were half done and were called away..bizarre. We did like the location of the hotel, right on Ellersie road. We also liked having two restaurants attached to the hotel, one which serves breakfast.

Room Tip: Be cautious of rooms on the first floor that are down the hallway that leads to the pool/restaurants...
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 9, 2011

19 – 21 October 2011 - for work meetings.
This is a new hotel, approximately 1 year old.
The lobby is pretty and service was good. We arrived at 3 pm for check-in and the receptionist spent a bit of time trying to find us a room (on the computer and telephone) – it was all worth it though because we were upgraded to a very nice suite.
The living room had a sofa with built in ottoman and another ottoman, flat screen TV, a side chair, table with lamp, desk and chair. Then came the bathroom which was nicely decorated. The only note is that the counter tops in the kitchen area and bathroom seems to have raised – a shame because otherwise the place seems nicely put together.
The kitchen area has a fridge and microwave, coffee maker and sink. The kitchen was reasonably well equipped with dishes and cutlery.
The bedroom had a large dress with a flat screen TV. The curtains were effective at blacking out light from the window. The bed was very comfortable and so was the duvet. NIce reading lamps.
I will stay here again when I have to work at the Edmonton Office.

Reviewed November 3, 2011

This Hotel is one of the nicest Hotels I have ever stayed at. Beautifully decorated, the Beds in the rooms are EXTREMELY comfortable. Very clean, almost brand new Hotel. Very close to the airport with a Shuttle service. The Chop restaurant is a bit pricey, but if you want a nice dining experience it is worth it. I would absolutely stay there again.

Room Tip: I had a room with two queen size beds, microwave and fridge in the room, flat screen tv.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed October 23, 2011

I checked in today and found the front desk service efficient and courteous, but not overly welcoming. No help was offered with bringing my bags to my room, however I would have declined it anyway.

The room looks new and modern at first glance, however upon closer inspection there are some important things missing. There is no book to detail hotel amenities and area attractions, which I enjoy looking through upon first checking in. There are also no pay per view movies, which I always enjoy when traveling on business.

The two main shortcomings are the cleanliness of the room, and the cheap and wrinkled sheets on the bed. There was dust on lampshades, the kitchenette counter was full of water spots, and the bathroom counter and sink were also not in pristine condition. The couch and chair were dirty and I will not sit on them.

This hotel is an average hotel, however the decor leaves the impression that they are trying for something higher end. If they polished up the housekeeping standards and put better sheets on the beds, I would rate it very good.

Next time I will plan to stay at the tried and true Delta South, it is a better location, and I have stayed there time and time again and have never been disappointed by the service or cleanliness.

1  Thank nokaoibeachgirl
Reviewed August 30, 2011

I usually stay at the hotel next door and my friend told me to try out Sandman,he usually stays at the Sandman in Toronto. I walked in and right away i said WOW. Lobby is beauitful. The Wednesday night last week when i walked in there was a line up and waited less then 10 mintues because the front desk was working by herself. It was busy night for her but i noticed she always smiled and greeted the guest with manners and explained everything where, and how it works. She finally helped me out and i told her i didn't have any reservations she asked what kind of room and how many people. I gave her my details and asked if this is my first time staying at Sandman i told her yes. She made few small talks while she was checking in, i went up to my room and i was shocked to see what i walked into and i went back downstairs and told the girl i'm sorry you must have made a mistake you put me in a apartment suite, she smiled and said no i gave you a complimentary upgrade i asked her again are you sure and she said yes and she giggled and said you better started staying here from now on and i said i think i should. I went back up to my room and was still in shocked the room is amazing. It looks like an apartment, there was even a washer and dryer and a stove to cook on. I went to Chop for a dinner great food. The next morning i woke up and decided to extended my stay. I didn't have chance to thank the front desk staff, but if the hotel management reads this Please thank your front desk girl Veinus for her warm welcome.I stayed at so many hotels but she was great,always had a smile even though she was busy that night. She is a nice, beautiful and helpful staff. Only disappointed was no movie channel, internet is poor and Rockford service for breakfast was slow. I will started staying at Sandman more often.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank 227John227
SandmanSig, Manager at Sandman Signature Edmonton South Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 19, 2011

Dear Valued Guest,

I am glad to hear how much you enjoyed your first stay with us and that our staff were able to make such a positive impact.

I wanted to take a moment to thank you for your review and let you know that I will personally ensure that Vinus and the rest of the hotel staff get a chance to read your wonderful comments.

Thank you again, and we hope to see you next time you are in Edmonton,

In Hospitlaity,