“Great Stay”

Sandman Signature Edmonton South Hotel
Ranked #44 of 93 Hotels in Edmonton
Reviewed August 18, 2011

It is a new hotel slightly out of the way from anything, but the service and accomodation definately make up for that shortcoming. Special note regarding Shannon from front desk....extremely friendly and professional in every way. A real pleasure to deal with.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
3  Thank James D

Reviewed August 16, 2011

My fiance and I stayed at the hotel for 3 nights at the beginning of August just before our wedding. Since we had a houseful of out of town guests, we decided to at least sleep elsewhere so that the older visitors could sleep in comfortable beds in our house but we could be close to home as well.
We booked a King Suite online and got a great deal for 3 nights.
The hotel is beautifully appointed and the suites are well laid out and spacious. The King suite has a full kitchen with a counter top range, microwave and a full size fridge. There is a small but comfortable seating area separate from the bedroom and ensuite.
We loved the layout and comfortability of the room but did need to call the front desk and ask for a new room. When we settled into the bedroom my fiance noticed that the bed comforter was stained with withe spots.
The front desk agent (I wish I remembered her name. Pretty Jamaican girl) was apologetic and came up to our room right away to inspect the bed and move us down the hall to another room.
The next suite was just fine other than the counter tops being "stained" with heat marks from guest putting hot cups/pots on the stone made counter tops. The agent did tell us that the hotel is aware of this and is planning to change the counter tops that are more hear resistant.
There is coffee and tea in the suites and washer and dryer next to the bedroom which was very handy!
The matress on the bed was absolutely divine! that was the best part of our stay, was how comfortable the beds were. I finally got a good night sleep!
Since we lived only a few blocks away, we didnt need to order room service and only ate at once at one of the restaurants there - Rockford - for lunch. We did want breakfast but breakfast had just ended when we went down. The food was good and the service was great as well. We plan to eat there for dinner in the future.
It is a new hotel and obviously some renovations still need to be completed like meeting rooms under construction and the amenities in the suites need to be adjusted for, but overall we were happy with our stay and the responsiveness by the front desk staff to any of our complaints/concerns.
Once the growing pains are worked out, I think it will be a great place to stay.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank sugabear
Reviewed August 3, 2011

Great location driving up from Calgary-right off Highway 2. Check in was pleasant and easy. The Staff were helpful. The room, while a tad on the small side, was clean and had all basics: coffee/tea, cable TV and best of all free WIFI. Beds and pillows were comfortable and clean. We loved the latte/capaccino/hot cocoa machine in the lobby.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank cinc123
Reviewed July 31, 2011

We checked in om Friday. I asked for a family room on a certain side of the hotel and was told by a short haired brunette that there were none on that side. As we left I saw a cleaner cleaning right across and there were family rooms there. That was the fidget lie. The wireless I ternet was nonexistent. My husband needed a softer pillow and we were told that they did not have any other kinds so we had to go and buy one. We came back from supper Saturday night and the air conditioning wasn't working . It was 26 degrees in our room. They moved us to a different room but we had to put the kids on an air mattress. There are so many rooms in this hotel that will only sleep 2 people you would think that they would have more rooms with sofa beds but they don't. We were then awoken at 245 am by blaring music. We called the front desk and told them about it. Thirty minutes later it was still on and we called the front desk again. They said they sent someone up to check 10 minutes ago . The music continued blaring for another hour. In the morning a blond at the front desk told us that no one had recorded an incident the night before. We ked again and were told that they couldn't hear it so nothing was done. She said we should have invited a clerk into our room. We would have been happy too if they had asked at any time to do that. Instead they just ignored us. If you do decide to stay here dont expect to get much sleep.and I agree with other reviewers that the pool was not made for children.

Room Tip: Do NOT stay here
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
SandmanSig, Manager at Sandman Signature Edmonton South Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 2, 2011

Dear Valued Guest,

I am terribly sorry to hear that your most recent stay with us was unsatisfactory. I can understand your frustration. From your comments, I can see that our method of delivering information to you was not satisfactory. I can assure you that this will be addressed and extra training efforts will be put in place to ensure proper communication between our staff and our guests in the future.

I would like to speak with you further about this and hope to find a satisfactory resolution. Feel free to contact me directly if you wish to do so.

I thank you for choosing our hotel and would definitely make extra effort to ensure a better second impression.

In Hospitality,

Reviewed June 14, 2011

I have stayed at a lot of Sandman hotels in Western Canada, this being my second stay at a "Signature" property. While I appreciate the upgrades that the company is doing through this sub-brand I am disappointed that the service rendered to guests has not also been upgraded. Upon our arrival we found that the bathroom had not been cleaned. We contacted the front desk and they asked if we would like to be moved or just have it cleaned. We opted for having it cleaned as we had just unpacked. The room attendant came and indigently stated that she had cleaned the bathroom. We then pointed out the brown spots on the mirror and the toothpaste and water stains ALL over the counter top and then asked her again if she cleaned the counter. She said she'd do it again. After that we had a maintenance person enter our room, without knocking, to chastise us for using the bar swing lock to keep the door open as it "dents the door". He then told us to use the deadbolt instead. Funny thing though, the bar lock has a metal plate that protects the door and jam, the dead bolt does not, so it is actually the deadbolt that damages the door! I have no problem with the staff asking me to do something different but knock on my door and have the intelligence to recommend a course of action that is actually appropriate. I will say that the front desk staff were pleasant, as well as those in the hotel restaurants. The beds were comfortable and the linens were updated.

I will still probably continue staying at Sandman's from time to time, because of price, but I will also refer to the Signature properties as the Sandman's with lipstick! Could have been so much better!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Hopefullylost
SandmanSig, Manager at Sandman Signature Edmonton South Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 22, 2011

Dear valued guest,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am sorry to hear of the issuess you had experienced during your stay. I assure you that the items mentioned will be addressed as there is definite opportunity for additional staff training.

If you wish to discuss your experience in more detail, please feel free to contact me at your earliest convinience.

Reviewed May 9, 2011

I disagree I stay at Sandman Edmonton every week for 2-3 nights. I understand it's a brand new hotel and nothing ever is perfect, yes they are under construction. Every time I stay at Sandman I feel like home especially when you’re traveling all the time. Every time I check in I get the best welcome from the front desk girl, she’s so nice and actually very pretty. She always has a great smile, and helps you out when needed.
As for the front desk manager I agree she is mean and seems like she doesn't enjoy her job very much. I came to the front desk one day and told her I was having problems with my internet she turns around and says maybe it's your computer. I thought that was very rude she never said I’ll have someone come up there and help you out. I seen the maintenance on my floor and told him my situation he came in my room and helped me out and it wasn't my laptop the server was just slow that day.
For the panhandlers they are everywhere you go so there isn't really everyone could do about it, if the police can't do anything how the management can do something.
I would like to thank management and there staff for the great job there doing and keep it up and Please open up the fitness room soon.

JMC

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Raider_11
SandmanSig, Manager at Sandman Signature Edmonton South Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 23, 2011

Dear valued guest,

I want to thank you for your positive comments. I am very happy to hear we can be your "home away from home". In regards to the service concerns mentioned, we do strive to provide the highest level of customer service, and feedback such as this will help us identify areas of need. I will follow up on your concern and would encourage you to continue to provide us with your feedback throughout your future stays.
Thank you again for your comments and we look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed May 2, 2011

Extremely overpriced for what you get. It is a mediocre Sandman with a new coat of paint that is rapidly fading. For a new motel the rooms were already beat up. Craftmanship is third world quality yet there was potential if skilled labour had been actually used. Rooms are not at all sound proof particularly from noise from the exterior and from the hallway. Elevators move in geological time and one was broken. Without a stairwell option we were lined up three carloads deep. Room was reasonably clean when we checked in but did not get properly cleaned during our stay. TV reception was very poor and quit completely if you swiveled the TV. We were approached by two separate panhandlers in the parking lot which we learned had no video surveliance.

Room Tip: Book at a different motel.
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TravelingMan9

Dear valued guest,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am sorry to hear of the issuess you had experienced during your stay. I can assure you that we make every effort to address all comments/feedback made by our guests.