“Overpriced Food which is OK-- I won't be back”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Nature Cafe - CLOSED

Nature Cafe
Cuisines: American, Canadian, French, International
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 99 Street and 102A Avenue
Description: Café Nature is located in the Canadian Museum of Nature and offers an array of signature sandwiches and soups, tantalizing desserts and food items that are sure to excite your palate.
Edmonton, Canada
“Overpriced Food which is OK-- I won't be back”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2011

I had the occasion to visit the Zinc Restaurant in the Edmonton Art Gallery. The venue is nicely decorated and the waitress was attentive to our wishes. We started with a bottle of wine which, at $90.00/bottle, was only slightly above regular plonk. A bad beginning. Then the obligatory bread arrived. It was of the white Wonderbread variety only it was in a miniature loaf size and only slightly warmed. You can generally tell what the meal will be like based on the bread served and the meal which I had reflected this reality. For the main course I chose the chicken breast rolled in panko crumbs. It arrived with a minimum of a supporting cast. It tasted like it had been placed in a deep fryer and then patted "dry" to remove the excess oil. Disappointing for $35.00. My two friends tied the sampler platter for $80.00. They stated that it was good--but $80.00--come on!! There was perhaps $10.00 worth of food. I won't be back. High class dining deservs food that is truly a taste experience. If I want a chicken breast there are many restaurants in downtown Edmonton which do it better and at about half the price.

• Visited October 2011
1 Thank susanguilbault

Toronto, Canada
“Over-rated for fine dining establishment!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2011

Went there to see an exhibit at the AGA and decided to stop in at Zinc for a meal. Service was awful...servers were un-attentive, and general restaurant etiquette was lacking. For a place that calls itself a fine dining establishment, the servers there definitely need to go back to school to learn a few things or two. Food was ok, but poor service ruined our first experience there- don't think we'll be going back in the near future.

• Visited July 2011
4 Thank snackaddict
Edmonton
“Fabulous”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2011

My friend and I went on a Friday evening as we were going to go to the Art Gallery of Alberta for an Emily Carr film presentation. It was fantastic, we enjoyed all of it. I did the Galley Tour (small bites of everything) and it was unbelievably good and more than enough. The price, although high, was reasonable compared to other places I have travelled. My friend had the lamb Tbone and she had three large (for lamb) T bones perfectly done. We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves and are looking forward to going back. My favorites were the Scallop, Beet carpaccio, Bison, Pork tenderloin and duck.

• Visited May 2011
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.
“fine upscale dining”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2010

Came here for a Sunday Brunch
Not a buffet but a selection of appetizers, mains, and dessert.
We did the 3 course, starting with a selection of cheeses and pastries
The puff pastries were delicious, so good we asked for more which the server was happy to provide, even refilling our cheese plate as well!!!
The mains were mainly variations on egg benedict theme, my wife had lobster bennie with lots of lobster, instead of an english muffin they put it on a potato blinz.
No bison tenderloin,it seems to be in short supply, but I got their substitute a very nice pork tenderloin eggs benedict.
Then we went all out and had the third course, a french toast banana loaf with sauce.
Also a gourmet selection, too bad we had so much of course one, we didn't really leave enough room for it.
You don't have to take all 3 courses, you can have any combo of one two or three to suit your appetite.
The meal was complimented by a nice mimosa, they have several types we tried one made with O.J., champagne, and Grand Marnier.
Service was excellent.
Overall pricey but a gourmet dining experience.
Oh yes, then you can tour the Art gallery of Alberta on a full stomach.

Hinton, Canada
“A lovely evening”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2010

I took my 10 year old daughter to Zinc on our last visit to Edmonton. The location is great. We enjoyed our whole evening down town. The first thing we noticed when we entered Zinc was how well it was lit. The lighting is exquisite. Not too bright, but you never strain to see. The hostess was charming but our server was pompous. At these prices, you don't need attitude as well. There was a floor manager who patrolled back and forth and I really wonder what he did. (Perhaps he was a bouncer, because he didn't seem to assist with service or flow.) The servers need a lesson in humilty. Yes, it's fine dining. But you are stil a SERVER.

The dining selection was fair. We chose Zinc because we wanted to try the new "by the bite" menu. And it truly was "by the bite". I was curious how a restaurant could make money with this concept and now I have the answer. The taste is not a condensed version of the meal, but more a piece from the meal.

We tasted the lobster bisque and the spoon was so tiny, I was truly embarressed and did not finish. The spaghetti and meatball taste was one meatball and a touch of sauce. And I was disapointed that I did not get to try the fresh pasta. However, the alpaca meatball was divine. The dish was a complex layered spicy as opposed to the single layer spice that you see in a lot of restaurants. So the food itself was top notch. The chefs have gone a little crazy with the plates and cutlery. It was often distracting to the food. My daughter was confused as to how to properly place a knife that always wanted to roll around.

We both had dessert and they were gorgeous. There was a lot of work put into them. They were worth the $12 that they were priced at.

The only issue I had with the food was with anything that was frozen. The frozen beet 'granita' was not very good. And it was awkward to eat with a fork. And the banana ice cream on the dessert was too thin. It could use a little more fat and flavour.

I would urge anyone to try this restaurant at least once. The chefs deserve your audience.