“Never again”

Ranked #60 of 93 Hotels in Edmonton
Vancouver, Canada
“Never again”
Reviewed June 14, 2010

I must start by saying that I live in hotels full-time for work, so I have a bit of an understanding of what to expect of a hotel that charges close to $150 a night.

When you first walk into the hotel, you can see the mass construction that is going on. We figured we may be able to get a deal because we only really needed a place to crash for the night. There was no deal; the price was quoted even higher then on any website. We were so tired so we figured we would at least get a room away from the construction, but we were very wrong.

As soon as I opened my window to let in some natural sun light, there were four construction workers standing in front of it on a ledge peering in. The rooms were so poorly lit and it made it impossible to let in natural sun light without compromising our privacy. I noticed that there was a door going from the room that took you onto the ledge where they were standing - and it did not lock. So any one of the construction workers could enter our room at any time. Not only that, but the ledge was a high drop, which is not safe for anyone with children.

Because we arrived late there was no noise, we didn't complain. But, all night we were bothered by the noise of tarps flapping in the wind and babies crying - the walls are paper thin. Once 10 AM hit, we were awoken to the sound of hammering, shouting and drilling right on our wall outside.

With tired eyes my friends went down for the 'free' breakfast - which we were not told was continental and the quality was very poor.

Needless to say I am very, very disappointed! I will not be staying at this hotel again and would recommend you do the same - at least until construction season is over. They do not do anything to ensure their guests are more comfortable when the very noisy construction is going on.

I called the front desk to discuss the issue and they said that they have signs up in the hotel stating that it will be a bit noisy during the stay. I was very disappointed with the service and the lack of empathy with the staff. It is there job to provide sleeping quarters to people, but if they can't sleep then this hotel has nothing going for them.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
ManagerComfort, Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites, responded to this review, June 25, 2010
We are very sorry you had this experience at our hotel, I can not say enough how sorry I am this is how you feel. We are having our exterior refinished, which is essential to giving our guests a better experience while staying with us. The work being done is being completed as quick as possible, and will be completed within a few short weeks. Unfortunately this is the only season that we have available to us for construction, and we are doing our best to minimize any disturbances. I do recognize that you are not satisfied with your stay, and would like to rectify this, it is not acceptable for our hotel to allow guests to leave without being properly heard. I would like to find you a solution that will provide you with the value you feel was expected from your stay.

I hope to get in contact with you soon.

Comfort Inn and Suites Management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
SK
Reviewed March 6, 2010

I stayed in this hotel for a night for a business meeting. Parking was free. The room conditions were pretty good, although the air in the room was *very* dry to a level that made sleeping very uncomfortable. Another problem was that when I requested for a late check-out, the staff gave me different rates (starting from $55 down to $30 immediately, then when I talked to a different person the next morning, the last person quoted $25). I finally paid $25 to check out at 3 pm, but this seem-arbitrary check-out late fee really pissed me off, and I lose trust to this hotel.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business

Travelers are raving about these Edmonton hotels

Lethbridge, Alberta
Reviewed March 2, 2010

Great hotel to stay at. Was a fantastic location for us. Room rate was just over $100 with the taxes and included internet, pool, fitness centre, parking and breakfast that had make your own waffles! Don't expect a fancy breakfast, but it is better than a basic continental.

For the value it was a great stay. Nothing too fancy but definately worked for us and would recommend it to anyone needing to stay in downtown Edmonton.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ElementTent
british columbia
Reviewed October 25, 2009

This hotel is a great place to stay. First and foremost, the location was great. Located right in the heart of downtown, this hotel is close to everything you need(hotels, restaurants, nightlife). Second, the service was great. The staff was really friendly and prompt with any inquires that I had. Since this was my first time in Edmonton, I was unfamiliar with my surroundings, however, the staff took time to help me find everything I needed. The rooms were really comfortable, probably the best nights of sleep I have gotten in a long time. The noise level was kept to a minimum and the rooms prices were very reasonable. I would stay here again in a heart beat!!!

1 Thank bobbyj1234
SalesComfortInn, Sales Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites, responded to this review, December 28, 2009
Thanks bobbyj we really are glad you enjoyed your stay with us . We hope to see you again soon !
Langley, B.C
Reviewed October 23, 2009

Can't believe we payed $100 a night to stay here. There were wires coming across the floor in the middle of the room. The room was old and out dated. The continental breakfast was a few crusty bagels at the Asian restaurant attached to the hotel.

albertA
Reviewed October 4, 2009

The hotel is in a good location and the best price for hotels downtown.The staff are very friendly and helpful.They are willing to give directions to where l wanted to go.l didnt experience any noise at night which was wonderful since lam a light sleeper.
The only problem l had was going for supper in the restaurant downstairs.l am sorry to say, but they have very poor service.They didnt care and l had their buffet and l finished eating without anything to drink, not even water.Nobody came to my table.The restaurant was full and everybody seems to speak the same language as the workers and they were cartering to them only.Clearly did not care about other clients. l had to get my own utensils as l waited forever and l noticed everybody else that didnt speak their language getting things for themselves.
l would anytime recommend the hotel but DONT EXPECT SERVICE IN THE RESTAURANT DOWNSTAIRS.Go somewhere to eat.l didnt bother with the free breakfast so dont know what is served.

1 Thank lovealberta
ManagerComfort, Manger at Comfort Inn & Suites, responded to this review, October 21, 2009
We are glad you had a great experience with our hotel. And look forward to having you back soon. Unfortunately the restaurant is not owned by the Comfort Inn, it is independently owned, and operated . The space is leased, fortunately there are many great restaurants within walking distance of the hotel if you are not happy with this restaurant. I am in contact with the owner of the restaurant quite often, I will personally express your complaint to the owner. Treatment such as you have expressed, is unacceptable to our guests. I apologize from the Comfort Inn as well, we do not like to see our guests unhappy with any part of their stay. We really hope we can make your next stay with us even more enjoyable!

Comfort Inn Management