“Good value”
Review of Econo Lodge

Econo Lodge
Ranked #76 of 93 Hotels in Edmonton
Reviewed May 12, 2013

Doesn't look like much from the outside but the rooms are very clean and spacious. The stairs are a bit of a drag but the exercise is good for you. The staff is very friendly and accommodating. The wifi is sketchy; works great sometimes and not so good other times. Heard the trains a night but they didn't keep any of us awake. All in all, for what you pay it's a good value.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank mtbaldymaryann

Reviewed May 1, 2013

I didn't like the outside of the hotel when I drove up to it because it looked like the hotel was under renovations. But it was actually quite nice inside. The rooms looked like they had recently been updated with new carpets and beddding. The beds were comfy and the room was clean. I liked my stay and the front desk staff were friendly. I will recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Cassie R
Reviewed April 13, 2013

attracted by the great price. The location is good, check in friendly, the room was neat, clean and seemed updated. The bed was very super comfy and the size of the room great with added bonus of good working fridge and a coffee pot.....TV and channels were great. I have a wifi data plan on my phone so i did not matter that there is NO wifi service even though they said there was so if you need wifi you wont get it here. I grabbed breakfast the next day off the little table in the lobby ....anyways I heard a crashing and rumbling sound a few times right behind the hotel just afer I checked in but I was soooo tired I never paid attention ....so I am drifting off to an exhausted sleep thinking I have found such a great deal hotel and was looking forward to a great sleep ......and instead I get an adreniline rush at 1130 PM when I was blasted wide awake when the bells and whistles start to blow all night long and the rumbling and crashing of train cars sounding like they are right on top of the hotel .....needless to say I did not sleep all night wahhhhhhhhhh unless you are a very sound sleeper I could hear the train through ear plugs ..at 530 when I needed to be up the train stopped blowing its horn .be warned cause this Would have been a great place other wise

Room Tip: I doubt there are any good rooms with a crashing train running behind the hotel all night long
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed March 26, 2013

While the front desk attendant was pleasant, everything else about this hotel was beyond disgusting. Our non-smoking room reeked of stale marijuana. The floors were filthy and the bed wasn't much better. Even the counters weren't clean. I slept fully clothed on top of the sheets. To top it all off, there was no elevator and the stairs up to our room were narrow and steep. We were awoken every two hours by trains passing seemingly beneath us. Absolutely disgusting hotel, and not remotely worth the money.

Room Tip: My only tip is that you should book elsewhere.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank S M
Reviewed March 4, 2013

I enjoyed my stay at this hotel. The hotel was obviously under renos but there was no disturbance to us in the rooms. The rooms were clean and in good condition. The staff was friendly, no complaints. The restaurant was awesome... food and service was excellent, I would highly recommend it if you stay at this hotel. Other than that the price of the hotel was reasonable relative to the area.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Jamie K
Reviewed February 26, 2013

Personally, I would not go back to this place. It's a typical econolodge, it wasn't terrible. The rooms were a bit dated. The building is under renovations, which appear to be due. The rooms are so so, not the cleanest but not bad! The only thing that saved the trip was the Thai restaurant, food was good and they were friendly. I paid for my trip through Priceline.com and learned my lesson on using that website, I will never use again. The front desk tried to charge my credit card, saying that he has to charge even though I paid the 3rd party website already! After complaining, he did not charge. Seems a bit odd that he would try to do this, I'm sure I'm not the only person to ever use Priceline.

Room Tip: Sleep in your car and eat at the Thai Restaurant
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank lornegrant
Reviewed February 14, 2013

This one's tricky. I travel a lot with business and upon entering the room I was immediately pleased. Super clean, nice firm beds, spacious, flat screen tv, fridge, microwave, sink outside the bathroom (always good when bunking with a co-worker), etc. Guy at the desk was nice enough. It was later that night when I realized why this one's a bit cheaper. When the train goes by the hotel (right beside it), the whole room shakes. Literally, the bed pulses. I could live with this, but I could see how some people certainly would not. What is absolutely intolerable is the broken internet. Fed up with places saying they have wifi and it not working whatsoever. Unacceptable. I need me my xBox! We are coming back through Edmonton and have cancelled our reservation for next week. Enough is enough. Too bad really, because the room itself was great.

• Stayed: February 2013