“Good basic hotel”

Ranked #80 of 93 Hotels in Edmonton
Canmore, Canada
“Good basic hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2013

I enjoyed my stay at this hotel. The hotel was obviously under renos but there was no disturbance to us in the rooms. The rooms were clean and in good condition. The staff was friendly, no complaints. The restaurant was awesome... food and service was excellent, I would highly recommend it if you stay at this hotel. Other than that the price of the hotel was reasonable relative to the area.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Jamie K

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Fort McMurray, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2013

Personally, I would not go back to this place. It's a typical econolodge, it wasn't terrible. The rooms were a bit dated. The building is under renovations, which appear to be due. The rooms are so so, not the cleanest but not bad! The only thing that saved the trip was the Thai restaurant, food was good and they were friendly. I paid for my trip through Priceline.com and learned my lesson on using that website, I will never use again. The front desk tried to charge my credit card, saying that he has to charge even though I paid the 3rd party website already! After complaining, he did not charge. Seems a bit odd that he would try to do this, I'm sure I'm not the only person to ever use Priceline.

Room Tip: Sleep in your car and eat at the Thai Restaurant
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank lornegrant
Calgary, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2013

This one's tricky. I travel a lot with business and upon entering the room I was immediately pleased. Super clean, nice firm beds, spacious, flat screen tv, fridge, microwave, sink outside the bathroom (always good when bunking with a co-worker), etc. Guy at the desk was nice enough. It was later that night when I realized why this one's a bit cheaper. When the train goes by the hotel (right beside it), the whole room shakes. Literally, the bed pulses. I could live with this, but I could see how some people certainly would not. What is absolutely intolerable is the broken internet. Fed up with places saying they have wifi and it not working whatsoever. Unacceptable. I need me my xBox! We are coming back through Edmonton and have cancelled our reservation for next week. Enough is enough. Too bad really, because the room itself was great.

• Stayed February 2013
3 Thank Devon D
Red Deer, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2013

I thought this was a decent hotel for the price. I didn't like the stairs (no elevator!) but other than that the rooms were clean and the staff was friendly. I was travelling with two small children and the staff was helpful in giving me extra towels and sheets. The location was the best part because it is central to everything in Edmonton, at least on the south side. I would stay again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Justine B
Osoyoos, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

We booked this hotel because it was close to Northlands where we were exhibitors at a tradeshow for a week and the write up about the hotel said it had wireless high-speed internet access.
There is NO high-speed internet access. My husband had piles of work to do on his laptop and this simply was not possible. The front desk clerk mentioned there were 'no guarantees' for high speed access. Of course booking through Redtag we had paid for a week and were stuck there.

NOT a place to stay if you want to use the internet!!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Goulds, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2012

Booked this hotel online so was not sure what the conditions were like. As there was no ground floor rooms, you had to go up a set of stairs. The stairs were very narrow and steep. Not very good for someone with mobility issues. Other than that the stay was quite pleasant. I stayed for 2 nights and the bed was very comfortable. The room was clean, except for a very dusty (dirty) air conditioning unit, which did not work. The only noise was from the outside (through the air conditioning vent) and sounded like heavy equipment. It usually stopped by late evening. The location was ideal, as it centered near all kinds of restaurants and shopping in the Gateway section of South Edmonton. Overall a pretty good stay.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Carl S
Edmonton, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2012

Don't expect a palace when you pay a hundred bucks any more, but. You expect a clean place to stay, some heat and a sense of security. We stayed and found out that the heat didn't work, hardly at all. It was -7 degrees outside and I am sure it was the same inside. We had a doctors appointment the next day. Asked for the heat to be turned up and was told that "when the weather changes it is hard to get the heat right, some people complain it's too hot others too cold". Asked for an electric heater and got one quite quickly. It worked for about 1/2 hour then quit. Would suggest the building code inspector hasn't been around too often, Shortage of plugs and small extension cords running multiple appliances. Fire hazard for sure. We stayed but never again. I do have to say that the staff were very nice and accomodating, as far as they went.

Room Tip: Find one with heat if you have to stay or don't stay when it is cold.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business