“Scary. Could not get out fast enough!”

Travelodge Edmonton South
Ranked #56 of 93 Hotels in Edmonton
Peace River, Canada
“Scary. Could not get out fast enough!”
Reviewed July 9, 2013 via mobile

My friend and I booked online for one night because of th Colour Me Rad 5K. I went with this hotel because it is close to my sisters place and it was cheap.
Well, we got what we paid for. We arrived at midnight and were met with th overwhelming smell of chlorine from the pool off the lobby. We had to pay at check in which I thought was unusual and then I had to pre-auth $253 for a damage deposit....HA. That whole hotel isn't worth that much! Lots of sketchy people in the lobby.
Our door in 259 was jammed and we had to go back to th lobby to get someone to open it. On the way down we saw a prostitute come out of a room. The room was dated but seemed clean. There were cigarette burns on our blanket, drunks in the parking lot being loud, our toilet ran all night every 15 mins or so and it sounded like water at first and then a hair dryer. It drove me nuts. The walls were PAPER THIN. I could here people having sex and babies crying. I didn't fall asleep until 3am. Despite lack of sleep I shot out of bed at 7am so I could get the hell out of there!!!
This place should be bulldozed.

• Stayed July 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Gold Coast, Australia
Reviewed June 29, 2013

I had to get dental surgery and this hotel was the closest and cheapest so I thought it was perfect. That all changed as soon as I walked into our room. The 2 girls, although playing with their cell phones and iPads, were very friendly. Then as we stepped into our non-smoking room, the overwhelming smell of cigarette smoke was too much for my pregnant wife. Add that to the fact that the room was hot and stuffy, meant the only time we spent in the room was to sleep! The bed was fairly comfortable but the sheets were stained, ripped and smelt like smoke. The bathroom was dirty and dusty. The continental breakfast that was included was good. The hotel is very loud and noisy and it seemed to be 24 hours a day! This place really needs to be knocked down and started again. Never ever again will I stay at one of this chains hotels!

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed May 3, 2013 via mobile

Plain disaster. You don't want to put yourself in a situation you have to sleep at this place. To dirty, to noisy, suspicious looking people and especially unfriendly staff.
Just sad...is there any management at this place?

• Stayed April 2013
Vermilion, Canada
Reviewed April 29, 2013

We booked this hotel for the price as we stayed here for four nights. The hotel stinks because of main floor is smoking. It is run down, very loud all hours of the night. We booked a room with 2 queens got there and we had a room with double beds that were very uncomfortable! There are fridges in only some of the rooms not ours and we could not upgrade. Our family was very upset and disappointed.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
St. Paul, Canada
Reviewed March 16, 2013

I guess I shouldn't have pick one of the cheaper options in Edmonton for a quick one night stay. I arrived at 3am after a flight into the city. Upon arrival the front desk attendant was very nice and efficient. I was checked in and off to my room very quickly. It's not worth 120 that's for sure. The room was dirty and dated. The beds were stained the carpet was dirty. The location is just off a main road so it's super noisy. The crowd that was hanging in the lobby when I arrived was a bunch of teenage drunks who were all high. The hotel smelt so strongly of weed. It was disgusting. I mean if the guests at the hotel weren't so sketchy I might have been okay staying here but after being in my room for around 20 minutes I heard a girl screaming at the top of her lungs mixed with a guy yelling at her as loud as he could right across the hall. Very SKETCHY crowd to say the least at this place. Would not stay here ever again. Did not feel safe at all whatsoever and had a hard time going to sleep. Also after seeing these guests scream outside my room in the hallway proceed outside, I didn't feel safe leaving my vehicle in the parking lot at the hotel. Check out was same as check in, standard, quick and easy. Left as fast as I could and will not return and will also advise others to not stay here. I'm not a prissy upscale hotel type of gal either but this was a scary hotel and not worth the money.....

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank hardtolove9999
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed March 14, 2013

I made the reservation using veneer.com for Feb 16h, 2013, got the confirmation email from veneer.com, called the veneer.com to double check. Everything was good.

But when arrived at the hotel, the front-desk said there was no room reserved for us. They even did not want to talk to me saying they are too busy and and has been full for last 3 days.

The hotel said Veneer never made a reservation and Veneer said they made a reservation. The hotel refused to call Veneer even after I show them the email confirmation, saying that it was a problem between myself and Veneer.

And Veneer kept insisting that it was a problem with the Travelodge hotel. Hotel did not update their inventory and was aparently over sold for that day.

I could not find another hotel in Edmonton and had to go to another city to spend the night.

Veneer told me at that time that they could not find another hotel for me and they could not do anything at the moment. But they said that if I find another hotel and send them the receipt, they will reimberse for the hotel stay.

But when I sent the hotel receipt and called them, the reply was that it was a problem between myself and the hotel. They are not going to pay for the hotel anymore.

It was a bad winter day and I could not find a hotel until around 9 PM MST. It was really bad for my family with 2 children.

I would like to caution that you need to think twice before booking with VENEER. Their confirmation, written or verbal has no values. And when you are selecting the Travelodge ( I selected it only because I could not find another hotel in Edmonton), do not expect any service or attention. If you don't need anything, you can simply spend your night. But if you need something, good luck!

Room Tip: This should be your last hotel to choose.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family