“DID NOT FEEL SAFE! DIRTY AND GROSS!!”

Travelodge Edmonton South
Ranked #57 of 93 Hotels in Edmonton
St. Paul, Canada
“DID NOT FEEL SAFE! DIRTY AND GROSS!!”
Reviewed March 16, 2013

I guess I shouldn't have pick one of the cheaper options in Edmonton for a quick one night stay. I arrived at 3am after a flight into the city. Upon arrival the front desk attendant was very nice and efficient. I was checked in and off to my room very quickly. It's not worth 120 that's for sure. The room was dirty and dated. The beds were stained the carpet was dirty. The location is just off a main road so it's super noisy. The crowd that was hanging in the lobby when I arrived was a bunch of teenage drunks who were all high. The hotel smelt so strongly of weed. It was disgusting. I mean if the guests at the hotel weren't so sketchy I might have been okay staying here but after being in my room for around 20 minutes I heard a girl screaming at the top of her lungs mixed with a guy yelling at her as loud as he could right across the hall. Very SKETCHY crowd to say the least at this place. Would not stay here ever again. Did not feel safe at all whatsoever and had a hard time going to sleep. Also after seeing these guests scream outside my room in the hallway proceed outside, I didn't feel safe leaving my vehicle in the parking lot at the hotel. Check out was same as check in, standard, quick and easy. Left as fast as I could and will not return and will also advise others to not stay here. I'm not a prissy upscale hotel type of gal either but this was a scary hotel and not worth the money.....

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank hardtolove9999

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed March 14, 2013

I made the reservation using veneer.com for Feb 16h, 2013, got the confirmation email from veneer.com, called the veneer.com to double check. Everything was good.

But when arrived at the hotel, the front-desk said there was no room reserved for us. They even did not want to talk to me saying they are too busy and and has been full for last 3 days.

The hotel said Veneer never made a reservation and Veneer said they made a reservation. The hotel refused to call Veneer even after I show them the email confirmation, saying that it was a problem between myself and Veneer.

And Veneer kept insisting that it was a problem with the Travelodge hotel. Hotel did not update their inventory and was aparently over sold for that day.

I could not find another hotel in Edmonton and had to go to another city to spend the night.

Veneer told me at that time that they could not find another hotel for me and they could not do anything at the moment. But they said that if I find another hotel and send them the receipt, they will reimberse for the hotel stay.

But when I sent the hotel receipt and called them, the reply was that it was a problem between myself and the hotel. They are not going to pay for the hotel anymore.

It was a bad winter day and I could not find a hotel until around 9 PM MST. It was really bad for my family with 2 children.

I would like to caution that you need to think twice before booking with VENEER. Their confirmation, written or verbal has no values. And when you are selecting the Travelodge ( I selected it only because I could not find another hotel in Edmonton), do not expect any service or attention. If you don't need anything, you can simply spend your night. But if you need something, good luck!

Room Tip: This should be your last hotel to choose.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Roman1970988
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed March 12, 2013

Only stay here if you need a warm bed to sleep on.
How would I describe this place? Sad & Dingy.

Once you enter the lobby, you are overwhelmed by chlorine as the pool is located right across from the front desk. There is no sealing around the pool door (there’s enough space under the door to stick your foot under), which is why the chlorine smell is so strong. The pool water was ICE COLD, similar to lake water. The hot tub was warm, but SEEMED hot in comparison to the pool.

We were uneasy about a drunk citizen approaching the lobby doors and ended up falling asleep in the lobby.

The hallways stunk of smoke.

Our room was a non-smoking room but it stunk of cheap cologne.
The pull out sofa bed was terrible. It must have been really old as the mattress was a flimsy floppy mess.
The bathrooms were terrible as well. So dated that the tubs were still yellow, like 80s yellow.

I thought I would have a terrible sleep, but it was actually decent. The pillows were fine and the bed was sub par. I didn’t wake up with a sore back at least. The only distracting thing to get to sleep was the funky cheap cologne smell.

The free continental breakfast was decent.
Toast
Bagels
Muffins
Cold Cereal – good variety
Hard boiled eggs
Coffee
Apple Juice (Orange Juice was not available at the time)
I think there were some other small items, but can’t remember. I thought I saw someone with some oatmeal.

Checking out was terrible as well.
They said that everything was all good. I asked for the receipt and they said it was emailed. I checked my email on my phone and didn’t receive anything. They said that it would be from priceline…..but I didn’t book through priceline. They check out the wrong people…. Didn’t even apologize and printed my receipt. Disfunctional.

Room Tip: Only stay here as a last resort.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Canada
Reviewed March 3, 2013

Pros: decent price, clean bed, clean bathroom, decent breakfast

Cons: noisy, small rooms, prostitutes in the lobby at 7 in the morning

My teenagers pretty much hated it and could find nothing good about it, although the prostitutes in the lobby did make for great conversation on the way home. Won't stay there again!

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank Ardoundtoit
Toronto
Reviewed March 3, 2013

There are many bad, one star reviews about this low budget hotel at the south end of Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. I was quite worry after I booked this hotel for two nights stay last week. I hope I can give a fair and without bias comment about this hotel.
When I arrived this hotel on Feb.28 afternoon, I saw a building in pretty good condition, either recently renovated or with a fresh paint job. Check in was quick and I was assigned to a non smoking room # 231. Across the reception counter is the swimming pool and it looks in good condition, some ceramic tiles have been replaced with original style tiles. The pool is very clean. When I got out the elevator, I could smell cigarette in the corridor but not in our room.
Our room was small but well decorated with some pictures, and it was very clean and all things function properly. The queen size bed was comfortable. The room had a 32 inch TV and the table lamp equipped with an electric outlet for computer connection. There was no fridge in the room but it had iron board and hair dryer. The hotel also provided a coffee maker, coffee and tea bags etc. in the room. I always go to the low budget hotels/motels and I rate this room above average.
I went to the breakfast area the next morning about 8 Am., there were 3 or 4 persons in there. Let start with the coffee, which was good, and the hotel provided paper coffee cups with lips too. There were two types of juice and milk, boiled eggs, very sweet orange, apple and banana. There were at least four different types of MacDonald size muffins for selection. Besides white bread, you could have bagel too. The hotel used Kellogg’s cereals and five to six different kinds of Kraft jams. They also provided good quality paper plates and bowls. Oh, I almost forget, they had yogurts too. When I went for breakfast again on Saturday morning at around 8 Am., the room was full without any empty table at all ( there were 8 tables in the room). Some guests just filled up their plates and left, and after I selected my food and wait for a couple of minutes and finally found an empty table to sit down to enjoyed my breakfast and read a compliment newspaper. During my breakfast, I observed a staff kept refilling and cleaning tables to make sure no food is running out of stock. I also rate their breakfast among the best in low budget hotel/motel.
Check out was quick and I am very happy with my stay in this hotel.

Room Tip: Always check your room before unload your baggage
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Mangotree
Grande Prairie, Canada
Reviewed February 20, 2013

My husband and I and our infant daughter travelled to Edmonton to meet up with some family from Calgary for the family day weekend. We booked a 2 queen bed room, non smoking. We got there about an hour before the allowed check in and they absolutely would not let us check in a minute early. We came back and they didn't have a 2 bed room ready so they upgraded us free to a mini suite. It looked like 2 rooms with a doorway cut between them, as it had 2 tv's, 2 bathrooms etc. It was clean and suited us fine, as our daughter slept in a travel crib. One bathroom, the light was sketchy and wasn't working properly (large fluorescent bulb) and the toilet seemed to be partially plugged and didn't flush properly. Bed was hard as a rock. Otherwise, we were on a non smoking floor and could definitely smell people smoking, and someone was also burning incense, what a strange smell. The continental breakfast was standard, although there were only 7 or 8 tables to eat at and there was a lineup of people outside the door waiting for food. And the breakfast ended at 930am, a little early IMO. The pool/hot tub is located right off the lobby so when you go in you're overwhelmed by chlorine. The hot tub is tiny, seating 6 people, and the pool is completely unheated and uncomfortably cold. Lots of rude unsupervised kids in there too. This hotel is old and we were not expecting perfection but I guess its tolerable for the price. We paid 95 per night. Would stay again if nothing else was available.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family