“Get what you pay for” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #66 of 93 Hotels in Edmonton
Canada
“Get what you pay for”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2013

Pros: decent price, clean bed, clean bathroom, decent breakfast

Cons: noisy, small rooms, prostitutes in the lobby at 7 in the morning

My teenagers pretty much hated it and could find nothing good about it, although the prostitutes in the lobby did make for great conversation on the way home. Won't stay there again!

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank Ardoundtoit

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Toronto
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2013

There are many bad, one star reviews about this low budget hotel at the south end of Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. I was quite worry after I booked this hotel for two nights stay last week. I hope I can give a fair and without bias comment about this hotel.
When I arrived this hotel on Feb.28 afternoon, I saw a building in pretty good condition, either recently renovated or with a fresh paint job. Check in was quick and I was assigned to a non smoking room # 231. Across the reception counter is the swimming pool and it looks in good condition, some ceramic tiles have been replaced with original style tiles. The pool is very clean. When I got out the elevator, I could smell cigarette in the corridor but not in our room.
Our room was small but well decorated with some pictures, and it was very clean and all things function properly. The queen size bed was comfortable. The room had a 32 inch TV and the table lamp equipped with an electric outlet for computer connection. There was no fridge in the room but it had iron board and hair dryer. The hotel also provided a coffee maker, coffee and tea bags etc. in the room. I always go to the low budget hotels/motels and I rate this room above average.
I went to the breakfast area the next morning about 8 Am., there were 3 or 4 persons in there. Let start with the coffee, which was good, and the hotel provided paper coffee cups with lips too. There were two types of juice and milk, boiled eggs, very sweet orange, apple and banana. There were at least four different types of MacDonald size muffins for selection. Besides white bread, you could have bagel too. The hotel used Kellogg’s cereals and five to six different kinds of Kraft jams. They also provided good quality paper plates and bowls. Oh, I almost forget, they had yogurts too. When I went for breakfast again on Saturday morning at around 8 Am., the room was full without any empty table at all ( there were 8 tables in the room). Some guests just filled up their plates and left, and after I selected my food and wait for a couple of minutes and finally found an empty table to sit down to enjoyed my breakfast and read a compliment newspaper. During my breakfast, I observed a staff kept refilling and cleaning tables to make sure no food is running out of stock. I also rate their breakfast among the best in low budget hotel/motel.
Check out was quick and I am very happy with my stay in this hotel.

Room Tip: Always check your room before unload your baggage
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Mangotree
Grande Prairie, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2013

My husband and I and our infant daughter travelled to Edmonton to meet up with some family from Calgary for the family day weekend. We booked a 2 queen bed room, non smoking. We got there about an hour before the allowed check in and they absolutely would not let us check in a minute early. We came back and they didn't have a 2 bed room ready so they upgraded us free to a mini suite. It looked like 2 rooms with a doorway cut between them, as it had 2 tv's, 2 bathrooms etc. It was clean and suited us fine, as our daughter slept in a travel crib. One bathroom, the light was sketchy and wasn't working properly (large fluorescent bulb) and the toilet seemed to be partially plugged and didn't flush properly. Bed was hard as a rock. Otherwise, we were on a non smoking floor and could definitely smell people smoking, and someone was also burning incense, what a strange smell. The continental breakfast was standard, although there were only 7 or 8 tables to eat at and there was a lineup of people outside the door waiting for food. And the breakfast ended at 930am, a little early IMO. The pool/hot tub is located right off the lobby so when you go in you're overwhelmed by chlorine. The hot tub is tiny, seating 6 people, and the pool is completely unheated and uncomfortably cold. Lots of rude unsupervised kids in there too. This hotel is old and we were not expecting perfection but I guess its tolerable for the price. We paid 95 per night. Would stay again if nothing else was available.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Canmore, Alberta, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2013

I stayed here last night, while in Edmonton for work (the client booked this room for me). It had the makings of being a decent budget hotel, however its age really really shows.
Cracks between the walls and the ceiling. The furniture was once nice, but is now getting old and has scuff marks on everything.

The girls at the front desk when i checked in last night were nice and helped with anything I needed, however the gentleman this morning when I checked out the guy was quite awkward with me, questioned the name on my booking and then questioned my name.

The Continental breakfast was very good for a continental breakfast.

The internet was very stable and had decent speed for a hotel. I think about 2mbps up and 2-3 mbps down. Served me well.

The two pillows on the bed were quite large and had lumps through out. I found another pillow in a drawer in the dresser. I was small but had less lumps and was softer.
Lastly the cleaning lady I ran into was nice and had a smile when I asked where the elevator was.

Lastly the continental breakfast was really good for that style of breakfast offered for free with your room.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Whitby, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2012

One step up from the roadside motels. Good highway access and breakfast included.

The hotel front desk staff were prompt and were able to obtain a room on short notice. Provided a good discount for staying more than 3 days. Hotel is older, they have smoking aand non-smoking rooms on the same floor. Fire doors are provided to separate but cleaning staff continually leave the doors open so stink of smoke enters the non-smoking section.
We continually closed the door. ***** If you have any sensitivity to smoke do not come here!*****
Beds were very plush and comfy, slept great but needed to turn the heater off in the winter due to the noise and resulting dry air produced.
The building is in need of repair,minor falling paint and loose plaster. Bathrrom vents squeal, water pressure is ok.

They do not supply cots. If you need an extra space buy a blow up matress

Never heard any police traffic for saw any ladies of the night as mentioned by another viewer. Some employees of the local adult entertainment establishment do stay here but there was never any issues with them.

Pool and hot tub were ok and clean.

Breakfast was included with the room. Continental breakfast - it my typical breakfast so was good for me, good selection. Installed a new instant coffee machine - Nescafe. Not bad coffee unless you like Seattle's Best or Sstarbucks then you will have to find your local fix.

Room Tip: If you want non smoking rooms get rooms at the ends of the halls to the west. And close the fire do...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Edmonton, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2012

This is really,without exaggerations WORSE place on earth(like a bordel),it's full of drug users and prostitutes,there were 5 of them just on our floor,disgusting!The place is really noise and loud,and you just can't sleep,cops were coming on several occasion to arrest either prostitutes or drug dealers, and it was to scary for us and our baby cause we are just normal people, family,and we have never seen those kind of things in our whole life!Toilet was clogged many times and they didn't care about it a lot.Personnel is really bad and total service,they are very arrogant, rude,inpolite and they behave like you are on the street just keeping there time,there is no kindness and smile at all at their faces.On one occasion at night,some girls witch were really young or even minor,tried to enter our room at 5 am,they were drugged we think,and so loud that it scared our little baby who was shocked and couldn't top crying,and also on several more occasions when prostitutes were arguing with their costumers or whoever in the hole,TERRIBLE!!,!!!!!!!!!!!!Please be aware of this place, DON'T try coming,it isn't worth a single penny,we have learned from our own experience unfortunately:-(Only good and positive thing about this horrible place were cleaning ladies,they should be paid a lot more for what they are dealing with every day:-(

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family