“Do not stay here!”

Travelodge Edmonton South
Ranked #51 of 93 Hotels in Edmonton
Reviewed September 22, 2011

The room was clean. That is the only good thing about it. The paper thin walls allowed us to hear everyone and everything around us including; screaming kids, people partying in the halls throughout the night as well as the couple in the room above us "having a good time". There was rust stains in the bathroom sink as well as chipping paint and cracks around the shower stall. The curtains were full of holes that allowed the sun to shine in early in the morning. This is by far the worst hotel I have ever stayed in.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed September 11, 2011

This is a no frills place.
The staff were polite, the hotel and room were clean. The price was very reasonable. I found the hotel very quiet.

As other reviewers have noted it is very old and worn. Also, my room on the third floor was too far away from the wireless router, so I did not have internet access.

Room Tip: The third floor is the quietest
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed August 2, 2011

Checked into the Travelodge Edmonton South with my husband and 2 young children for a 5 night stay. We usually don't go this cheap but the price for a suite was reasonable, breakfast was included and the reviews were mixed so we hoped for the best. We hoped wrong. Over 5 days I can honestly say that all but one time that we entered the lobby the staff were sitting in a small room off to the right of the front desk. You would think they would see you coming on their cameras and take their post at the counter, but no. You walk up to the counter and call out to them for service. They saunter up, seemingly unimpressed that you've interrupted their conversation. Made our way up to our room. As with the breakfast room, our suite is fashioned from old rooms. Perk - there were two bathrooms and the cleaning ladies were all too happy to restock the shampoo and conditioner, even when full ones were still on the counter. My husband goes down to get the luggage as I get the boys in the PJ's...it's very late & we've been on the road for 6hrs. ICK there's a cockroach in the garbabe in the bedroom!! Quick, everyone take refuge in the other room. Daddy arrives and informs me it's just a beetle. Great, a big black dead bug in our room. Of course I have him rip apart the bed searching for other little critters. Phew, none. Kids go down in the queen size bed and we watch some TV. Pull out the sofa bed and again I'm shocked at the lack of quality. No way am I sleeping on this and we move the kids. Next day our children have an awesome pattern in their back of the springs and we head to breakfast. No hot waffles here like in many other hotels but it was a nice spread and clean and the lady was friendly. Night two we attempted the pool. So cold. Seriously, so very cold. Wake up morning 2 and the springs have actually bruised a pattern into my older son's upper back. Stop at front desk on our way out for the day to ask for a new mattress. Late return and kids say bed is comfy so off they go to la la land. Morning 3 back is worse and we discover they put a crappy thin piece of foam on it. Our garbages now have bags in them, first time in 3 days. Nice considering we had diapers. Imagine what's been in those garbages and your kids fingers have probably touched them! EWwww. We did not attempt the pool again and the beds sucked. With the exception of our last morning the hotel was quiet but probably because it was pretty empty. Last morning about a dozen young men decided 5:30-6am was a good time to meet, curse, shout in the hallway. Nice of whoever was watching the camera monitors downstairs to make a trek up and ask them to keep it down. No worries, I told them, as did my husband, and WE made the trek to the front desk to ask them to say something. They didn't and we left the hotel. Upon our departure I opened up the drapes to let the sun shine in. I was greated by several tiny black bugs and a decent patch of black mold on the window sill. Needless to say we will not be back, we do not recommend this hotel and once I find the manager's card that I requested at check-out I will be sending them an e-mail. FYI, stayed the next night at the Raddisson which is litterally right across from the Travelodge and it was clean and sooo nice inside. King bed (sleep by numbers bed) queen size pull out couch, 42" flat screen TV, balcony, quiet & clean and under $100. Didn't have 2 bathrooms or a microwave but I didn't care. Dear Travelodge, I'm going back to my trusted family hotel, Holiday Inn Express!

Room Tip: Anywhere but here is an upgrade.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank ArcticExplorer
Reviewed July 29, 2011

Title says it all. This facility is in dire need of a major reno. At the very least an extensive and thorough cleaning. We were just passing thru Edmonton and needed a inexpensive place to stay, well we found it. So if your traveling on a budget this place will work. Dont expect much. Staff was pleasant enough they even watch how much breakfast you eat.

Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed July 15, 2011

Arrived at 10 pm to be given a smoking room beside a pot smoking party next to us. When I asked to be moved I didn't even get a "sorry we will deal with that right away". They charged an extra $5 to have a two bed room. It's old and dirty. It's also our last stay here thankfully!

• Stayed: July 2011
Reviewed May 28, 2011

As an oilpatch consultant, I am in Edmonton on business at least a few times a week and now full-time during the week. I require a good quality, updated hotel to stay at. This past week I decided to try the South Travelodge - and how disappointing - it used to be a great place. At the check-in desk, the smell of chlorine from the pool is overpowering. In the room, the carpet is very worn, stained and outdated - and who likes carpet anymore anyway? Cramped little rooms. I was unhappy with my first room so I requested a more current updated room. The young fellow at the front desk gave me another room just like the other one, only this one had a sofa and fairly-new mini fridge in it. I decided to take the second room seeing as I had already paid for three nights stay and I could use the fridge and microwave. I noticed later, the mattress was stained - yecht! There was a soft spot in the carpet where I was afraid to step in case I fell through to the first floor. It is a long way from many of the rooms back to the reservation desk - when the room key doesn't work. Unfortunately I will not stay there again and I cannot recommend anyone else does.

Room Tip: it appears they don't have any good rooms
Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed May 2, 2011

This hotel has very good management awesome gues services, rooms are clean,overall very good environment to be in

• Stayed: May 2011