“Fresh, newly renovated but still renovating hotel.”

Ramada Edmonton South
Ranked #63 of 91 Hotels in Edmonton
Reviewed November 11, 2010

Wow, this hotel is going to be beautiful once all of the renovations are complete. I realize that the hotel had closed their pool for renovations but we understood as that was not the only reason for our trip. The newly renovated rooms were great, it was nice to stay in an older hotel but with new rooms and such. The restaurant could use a little work but I wouldn't judge because of the restaurant as there were a few other restaurants that were close by. Can not wait to come back.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family
Opsmanager0, General Manager at Ramada Edmonton South, responded to this reviewResponded November 14, 2010

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We have gone through a major renovation to our hotel, and shoul dbe completed with in the next 6 months. All feed back is important, and it is always nice to hear that guests are appreciating the changes we have made to date. But we still have more improvements to come to serve all our customers better.

Marscine Pankewicz
Operatoins Manager

Reviewed November 9, 2010

Last month I ended up staying at this location because of price driven. Had tobe in Edmonton for work for a few days and got a really good deal. Was concerned at first with construction comments from in here, but was so surprised when I got to the hotel All I needed was a clean room, and good sleep. TO my surprise, the hotel lobby looks great, staff were friendly and pleasant, very helpful when I had to print some documents off They are still under renovations, but from what I could tell, there was very little disturbance at all during my stay. I would recommend this hotel to travellers. I had no issues at all and a very pleasant stay Hope the exercise room is completed when I go back in 3 weeks.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business

Thank you for taking the time to review our property, and we appreciate your feed back. We have done extensive renovations, but still do more improvements daily to be able to provide what our guests are looking for . Thank you again for taking time out of your busy schedule to send in this review.

Marscine Pankewicz
Operations Manager

Reviewed November 5, 2010

From start to finish this was an unbearable ordeal. I was travelling with collegues and client and my experience from day one was terrible. The time it took to make the reservation, check in, fill out the form for all the billing and then phone them 6 times to get it fixed afterwards because it was charged wrong... was a huge waste. I have dealt with may hotels in the past and this one is by far the worst with customer service! At least the rooms were clean.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank allisssson
Opsmanager0, Manager at Ramada Edmonton South, responded to this reviewResponded November 7, 2010

I would like to apologise to the guest for any inconvenience they may have had during check in time or check out, as this is not at all the kind of service we provide at the Ramada Edmonton south. I have emailed the guest directly so I can get more information to find out what the issues directly were in detail. My personal apologies again to this guest, as this is not the service we provide to our clients.

Reviewed August 16, 2010

My husband and I planned a trip to Alberta to attend a wedding and decided to stay at the Ramada Inn for the 2 nights we would be in Edmonton. With us we had brought our 5 year old and a 26 month old. After driving the 14 hours to Edmonton we finally found the Ramada Inn and signs displayed everywhere said "UNDER CONSTRUCTION". We decided we could deal with a little construction as we were too tired to think straight and 4 other rooms in the hotel were booked with other family members (all of whome wished to stay together).

Upon checking in we found the hotel staff very friendly but not overly knowledgable with reservations. All 5 hotel rooms were booked on one credit card and the hotel was told to charge all rooms to that 1 card however while checking in I was told we needed to leave our credit card info with them or pay upfront. I payed the $215.88 upfront which upon check out 2 days later they had to refund to my debit card since someone else was paying for the room.....strange.

There were 2 elevaters to go upstairs 1 of which was out of order and the other had glass on the inside held together by duct tape, panneling falling apart, had barely enough room to hold the 4 of us with our luggage and was incredibly slow. (This should definitely be addressed during the renos).

We opened our room and were definitely surprised. (Not in a good way) You could not have the airconditioner on while watching T.V unless you proped the t.v cabinet open with a suitcase. (Kept blowing shut.) The bathroom door wouldn't close all the way so even if it was locked you could still be walked in on. The coffee maker was apparentely only for decoration as the cord just hung over the table and there was no outlet to plug it into.....we ended up having to brew our morning coffee in the bathroom. (I guess there's a 1st for everything.) My husband was told he would be fined $500 if he smoked outside. The balcony's were completely closed in on the sides so the smoke wouldn't bother guests on the other sides of us....he had to go 6 stories down to the parking lot everytime he wanted to smoke. When he asked about this he was told we could switch to a smoking room. (We have to small children and didn't want to be in a smoking room we just wanted him to be able to smoke without having to go down 6 stories.) This hotel also allows siliciting!!! Everytime we left the room we would come back to a small stack of pamphlets shoved into our door. Having guests know about pizza places that deliver is a good idea however I would suggest leaving pamphlets for guests to grab at there own lesier down at the front desk.

We all had a wonderfull time at the Waterpark. The slides were great fun for our 2 little ones and climbing the stairs to the top over and over again ended up being a great work out for us. The water was nice and warm and the hotel supplied towels at the pool for guests which you leave at the pool. This was slightly irratatting as our 2 little ones froze on the way from the 2nd floor to the 6th floor. Maybe leave pool towels in the rooms so guests don't have to worry about catching a cold.

We understand that patience is required during renovations as things are constantly changing but if the quality of the hotel is going to go down that much perhaps closing during the reno's would be best. There were several rooms on our floor in the process of being renovated but come the weekend when reno's shut down the tools and construction equipment was left out in the hallway as apposed to placing it in one of the incomplete rooms. As a parent of 2 small children I constantly feared someone's child would eventually escape long enough to do some seriouse damage to themselves or the surrounding area. (Huge liability on the hotels part....)

Overall I was very dissapointed with the stay. Dispite the lack of reservation knowlege the staff was very friendly and the waterpark was fun which is great because at the moment it is all that this hotel has going for it. I would not recommend anyone stay here until all the reno's are complete. Perhaps then the Ramada Inn might have found a way to make the stay more pleasent.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
Opsmanager0, Manager at Ramada Edmonton South, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2010

I would like to appologise for the mix up on the reservations, and we did not meet your expectations. The hotel is over 65% complete with renovations, The exterior will be completed with in a month and rooms we are about 75% complete. Renovations are always a stressful time for guests and staff.

Reviewed March 15, 2010

My family and I had the displeasure of staying at this establishment this past weekend and would like to express our disappointment with the experience. We had stayed at the same hotel about 4 years ago and are amazed at how far the quality of both the hotel and its staff have fallen since then.

We drove approximately 12 hours to arrive at the hotel. Upon arriving we found that the hotel was under renovation...something I missed on the website. We also found that the waterpark didn't open unit 3pm. The comment from the desk clerk was the water park hours were on the website and since I booked online I should have seen them. Looking back at the website, what it says is "Swimming pool hours- Dec 24th pool closed at 7pm, Dec 25 Closed all day, New Years Day Pool opens at 3pm." By my calender, this past Friday wasn't new years day. Perhaps the desk clerk, like the hotel is reliving his past glory days. Despite the rude behavior we checked in and went to our room and got our second surprise of the evening. The room was disgusting. There was gunk stuck to the floors, unfinished drywall, the smell of smoke, and to cap it all off when we opened the cot we found something that looked like blood or feces on the blankets. I won't even mention the mystery stains on the chair and carpet. For an establishment that calls itself a 2.5 star hotel I would expect better, or at least less bodily fluid stains. At this point we went back to the desk and asked to move rooms, but were told there was nothing. We then canceled the next three nights of our reservation at this Ramada and an additional night at another. Thinking we could stomach the room for one night myself, my wife, two daughters and 7 week old son went to sleep. At approximately 4:30 am we hear a noise at our door and woke to discover that someone was trying to enter our room using a key. Thankfully I had set the door latch the night before and this prevented them from entering. This person had a working key to our room and had used it to try to open the door. When we informed the front desk of this, they told us it was impossible that he could have had a key unless we had lost ours. To this comment I placed both our keys on the desk.

Despite the fact that we were give 40% off the night we stayed, this in no way makes up for the way in which this establishment ruined our vacation. I will never set foot in any hotel which is in any way connected to this hotel chain and plan to make sure that others are prewarned to stay clear.

I have several pictures that are too large to upload, but I'll gladly email them to anyone who is interested.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family
3  Thank stubbslaughy
Opsmanager0, Manager at Ramada Edmonton South, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2010

I wish to respond to this review, first to appologise again for the inconvenience this guest felt during their stay, but to also inform every one, that a room key audit was taken, as I have informed the guest already, and the only record of a room key being used was when theguests room key entered the room. The security locks were checked and all was in working condition. If the front desk had been notified immediately of some one at their door, the security guard would have been up to their room immediately, but the guest did not call to the front desk. The guest was given a full refund for the one night stay, and it was misfortunate that we did not have another room of the same type to move them to at 1 in the morning, or they would have been moved immediately. The new PTAC heating airconditioner units were just a recent install, and no finish work around them had been completed yet. We have completed 2 floors with renovations, and working on the 3rd floor now. Once again it was a misfortunate event this guest experienced, however we are renovating the complete hotel, to be able to provide a better product to all our customers. We will also be renovating in the neat future the complete water park.

Reviewed February 7, 2010

Our older daughter wanted to have a birthday party at our house so asked if she could put us up in a hotel. She chose the Ramada South thinking that her brothers 11 and 13 would enjoy the waterslides. I have lived in Edmonton forever and have never stayed at the Ramada South, however, knew of it due to driving in on the Calgary Trail. I checked some reviews and was horrified. The place sounded like a dump! It was not bad at all. It is hugely budget friendly. The room, two queen beds, is small and basic, however CLEAN. The boys enjoyed the waterpark area. It is an older hotel, however, effort is being made to update it and it is BUDGET FRIENDLY. We were in room #451. I did help some kids in the hallway find the pool and I did see the opposite staircase on the 2nd floor. It did resemble something out of a "horror movie", however, that was the only occasion that I encountered that stairwell. Otherwise, some reviews are harsh....Our experience was a good one.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank selinam68
Opsmanager0, Manager at Ramada Edmonton South, responded to this reviewResponded February 9, 2010

Thank you for taking the time to enter your comments. We are definatly in the process of up grading the hotel, with out renovations which are in place now. Up grading all rooms is the process we are in now, and then we will be renovating the water park.
My door is always open to any guests who wish to discuss the hotel, renovations or any concerns they may have.

Reviewed January 5, 2010

I recently stayed at the Ramada in south Edmonton, AB. It was the worst hotel I have ever stayed in!!! Due to construction the signs for the Ramada are no where in sight. I missed the tiny sign underneath the HUGE Smittys sign. I should have kept on going. At check in my room was changed due to the fact that I had a small pet. First bad sign. Once I opended the room door I was completely grossed out! The carpet was so dirty and stained I refused to take my shoes off. The room was so outdated. The air conditioner was barely hanging on the wall. The tv remote didnt work. (I had 3 movie charges on my bill for the exact same movie) And the worst was the bathroom. The floor had visible crumbs (im assuming- I didnt want to look too closely, too scared!) also there was long strans of black hair around the sink. I have short blonde hair- definetly not mine! My boyfriend entered the room and couldnt believe I would even stay in such a dive. We toughed it out because it was last minute and not all hotels take pets. Never again will I stay here! We wanted to go on the waterslides but they were closed. We were informed that they would open the next day at 3pm! We had to check out before then. I was then informed I should have checked in sooner and used the waterslides then. Front desk staff are very inproffesional. I should have been tipped off by their work station. Disorganized and chaotic! All of this is nothing compared to when I checked my credit card bill. I was charged an additional $40 after my original bill. When I phoned to see what these charges were I was treated like a child. The staff memeber laughed at me when she told me there was an additional charge for pets. The charge is nowhere posted (as I was later told by the manager). The room alone is enough to never stay here again. I will even go as far as to look for another chain of hotels. But the way I was treated by the staff was what sealed the deal and made me write a review. I hope when they finish the renovations on the building, they also get new staff!

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank lindsey661
Opsmanager0, Manager at Ramada Edmonton South, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2010

The hotel has never adversited rates for pets, and all pets do go into designated rooms. We never force a guest to stay if they are unhappy, nor did they stop by the front desk at check out time and if they did I am not sure why this was not addressed at this time. The guest is unhappy about the fees of the pet, and all the staff member did was relay back that the fees are $25 and the fee amount is not advertised. The staff member is very upset that a person would write such a thing on a web site. I did call this guest back and had tl leave a voice mail. I asked for a phone call back, but never received one. Any guest who wishes not to stay due to the construction, we never make them stay. This guest had the option of leaving but still choice to stay. I do not believe the cleanliness of the room was the state suggested, but she was on a lower floor due to the pet designated room. All the hotel is under renovation, and all rooms will be renovated in the next 7 months