“STAY SOMEWHERE ELSE !”

Edmonton Inn and Conference Centre
Ranked #80 of 93 Hotels in Edmonton
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed November 24, 2010

Check in process was very slow. The room I had in the East tower was filthy, the carpets were covered in stains. The couch looked like it had been there since the 70's. Pretty much matched the decor of the whole hotel. I've travelled a lot and can honestly say this was the dirtiest hotel I've stayed in. I don't think I walked down my hallway once without seeing room service trays littering the floor. My standards are fairly low but this hotel didn't meet even my minimum requirements. I had to crank the heat just to keep warm at night, the sheet and thin bedspread certainly didn't do the job. Do yourself a favour and stay elsewhere.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business
Manager2009, Manager at Edmonton Inn and Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded December 2, 2010

Thank-you for your review of our hotel. I appreciate positive or negative feedback as this becomes a tool we can use to continually improve our product and service. Our hotel did receive approximately $10 million in renovations in 2008 which may not have included the floor you were checked into, I apologize it was not to your liking, it is troubling to me to hear that there were room service trays left in the hallways as it is our standard to have them picked up twice daily, I will certainly review with my restaurant manager. The triple sheeting system is a Ramada and I apologize it was not comfortable for you, we do offer extra blankets upon request.

Yours Truly,

Reviewed November 19, 2010

Stayed here for a conference, everybody was extremely disappointed. Starting with extreme slow check in, old carpet, old furniture and dirty bathroom. Wifi is very slow. Only had breakfast which was okay, restaurant decor is outdated.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business

Thank-you for your review of our hotel. I appreciate positive or negative feedback as this becomes a tool we can use to continually improve our product and service. Our hotel did receive approximately $10 million in renovations in 2008 which included our botaniCa restaurant, I apologize it was not to your liking, it is troubling to me to hear that you felt the cleanliness of the bathroom was not up to your standards, I will certainly review with my housekeeping manager. We are planning a major overhaul of our wifi system and should address any speed issues.

Yours Truly,

Reviewed November 10, 2010

The rooms were really nice. I had a "suite" that had two beds but it was set up so each bed was in it's own part of the room with the bathroom between. It made it a little more tolerable to stay with the in laws! The staff was helpful and upgraded me with no hassle. Rooms clean and plenty of supplies.

• Stayed: October 2010
1  Thank angel_up_north
Manager2009, Manager at Edmonton Inn and Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded November 13, 2010

Angel_up_north

Thank-you for your feed back on our guestrooms we are happy to provide you a comfortable place to stay while attending the Royal Alex hospital. We take great pride in our long standing practice of offering medical rates to assist travelers attending the Royal Alex.

Reviewed November 10, 2010

The food at the brunch buffet was really wonderful. There is so much variety! We were vegetarian and they had a lot of choice. You can also order from the back kitchen. We had stir fry, pasta, the best hashbrowns ever, waffles, pancakes, fresh fruit, a variety of salads, deserts galore (the chocolate cheesecake is amazing!). I would highly recommend visiting even if it's just for the food!

Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple

Sugarcube1r

I was very pleased to see you enjoyed our Sunday Brunch. Our Chef personally plans and oversees our brunch every weekend to ensure we provide the very best at an exceptional value. It is nice to hear from our guests that our culinary team’s hard work is appreciated. Hope to see you soon.

Reviewed November 4, 2010

The room was clean, quiet and comfortable. The staff was friendly and accommodating. The location is excellent - handy to downtown and other amenities. The price was very reasonable, and I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business

elainecWabasca

Thank-you for your feedback on our hotel, we work hard to provide a clean safe and memorable experience for all of our guests. We would agree with you that the location is great and the value we offer is exceptional.

Reviewed October 28, 2010

I have stayed with hotel many times due to its location to the Glenrose Hospital and their rate for a doctor appointment. To begin I called 4 hours before arriving into Edmonton using their 1-800 number I requested a smoking room. (Please keep in mind there are not many hotels that allow smoking so this is why we chose this hotel). As there are may more that dont have smoking but are alot nicer. If we were told prior to that smoking was not available we would of choosen another hotel. We arrived to find out that we could not have the room we booked (smoking room). It is now 1am and I am not driving all over the place looking for another hotel, management offered us $20 dollars off our rate. So we headed to our room I have never had issue with cleanliness until this time. We were put in the west tower (never stay on this side) 5 minutes to get hot water and the bathroom had hair in the tub, shower curtain rod was broken and the sound of the elevator to get to the 6th floor sounds like it won't make it. We went to get a drink from the vending machine but the vending machine now takes tokens. So back down to the lobby to get tokens but the token machine is broken, we go to the front desk and they dont have tokens either. Front desk said go to the games room. Front desk changed my loonies to twoonies then found out the games room does not take twoonies. Due to the poor reservation prep I have recieved twice now i have choosen to cancel the rest of my reservations for the year and i will find another hotel. If you don't need anything specific for your stay and you are someone who just needs a place to stay then this hotel is for you.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple

BeenThereAlberta

I appreciate the feedback on your stay with us as this allows us to improve for the future. I apologize that we did not have a smoking room for you when you arrived, you are correct that not many hotels offer smoking rooms and we do have a certain allocation of rooms for that. Cleanliness is one of our main focuses in the hotel and was surprised to read your comments on the state of the room, in fact our housekeeping team was just awarded the 2011 Alberta Hotel and Lodging Association Housekeeping award. With regard to the vending machines you are correct that the machines only accept tokens. We offer tokens from a vending machine run by Coca Cola and at our front desk. I would welcome the opportunity to discuss your stay in more detail at your convenience. My email address is jsaad@silverbirchhotels.com.

Reviewed October 22, 2010

I didn't book this hotel. My reservation at another hotel didn't appear on that system, so they arranged to pay for one-night's stay at the Ramada. This review is based on if I had to pay the rack rate.

It looks like this hotel had an overhaul recently. The lobby looked bright. There looks to be some sort of oasis-type lounge next to it, but I didn't see it. There is a Sports Bar attached to the hotel, as well as a restaurant that serves a complimentary hot breakfast.

There is a fitness room that looked reasonable, but I didn't see a pool.

The hotel looks like one of the older-style motels when all the rooms had its entrance from the outside, but renovated so that you now enter from an inside hallway. However there is still a door leading to an outside balcony.

The rooms are reasonable. Some parts looked renovated, like the bathroom counter. The bathtub looked a bit older, but had an updated shower head. There is a floor unit for heat/cold, but it is controlled by a wall unit. The armoire and drawers looked older, as did the bed. The headboard was a bit loose from the rest of the bed.

There is free high-speed internet. When I first checked in I coudl access it, but later that night it wouldn't connect. I didn't call down for technical advice.

I didn't try walking around the area. There is a Canadian Tire across the street, and from what I could tell from the cab ride, a starbucks was also within walking distance. I didn't happen to see many restaurants around there. They advertsied a mall was close by but it seemed kind of far when looking from the cab.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
Manager2009, Manager at Edmonton Inn and Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded October 28, 2010

peacefrogdog

Thank you for taking the time to write a comment on your stay with us. I am glad to hear that we were able to help you with your accommodation. I appreciate the fact based feedback on our hotel, while I agree we have some aging furniture we strive to maintain them the best we can and are constantly doing renovations to improve for our guests. We do have a very popular and busy shopping mall (Kingsway garden mall) which is approximately a 5 min cab ride from our hotel. We hope that in the future when your travels bring you back to Edmonton we can welcome you at our hotel again.