“Hospital Stay at the Royal Alec”

Edmonton Inn and Conference Centre
Ranked #80 of 91 Hotels in Edmonton
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed November 8, 2012

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Gail B
John M, General Manager at Edmonton Inn and Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded November 19, 2012

A Wyndham traveler

Reviewed November 5, 2012

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank A Wyndham traveler

Reviewed October 31, 2012

My husband and I recently checked out of here, after staying for a week. The internet was terribly slow, at times not working at all. So if you are in school, or need internet for work, don't expect wifi at this location. I approached the front desk, and nothing was done to resolve the issue.

The gentle-man who worked a grave yard shift at the front desk was attempting to argue with me at 1 am when I was just going to pay for an additional night. He was very rude, and unprofessional. Seemed very sexist to say the least.

When checking out, I discovered that without signing anything, the front desk decided to take my security deposit, and use it to cover the room for the one night. Here I thought the Saturday night was covered since I experience all these problems with the internet, nope nothing done about it. The security deposit is not there to pay for the room, and therefore regardless, the front desk should have you sign before taking your cash, and using on the room fee. I found that obscure.

The hallways smelled bad of marijuana smoke, and just turned me right off. The in room dining was awful, when I ordered my meal up to the room, I waited an entire 90 minutes for my food, and the sad thing is, when i got the food, the food was brought up uncovered. I was promised a dessert for my long wait, instead the girl hands me over a ten percent off card, assuring me a discount for next time I decide to eat in the restaurant. Like really? My dinner was cold, I waited 90 minutes for it and she hands me a 10 percent off card.

Im very disgusted with the way things turned out. I stay here regularly, and in fact some of the girls whom have been working at the front desk long enough, know me by name. Its rather a huge disappointment that with the amount of business I have given to you guys, and that is how i get treated in return.

Perhaps, a 1 night stay to resolve this with complimentary breakfast and dinner. Im so disappointed as this was my husband and I's favorite spot!

Room Tip: Request East Tower
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your candid review of our hotel. I have brought these concerns to our guest service teams. We pride ourselves on producing great guest service, which in this instance we have not. Please accept our apologies.

John Mytz

Reviewed October 28, 2012

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed October 27, 2012

If you have to stay at this restaurant decline and run screaming from the building. As you walk in the lobby gives the appearance of a nice place, the staff seems to be very well appointed, but then you notice how dated it is, the wear in the carpet, the stains and the ever present group of beggars in the parking lot, needing money for a sick child.

If you enter from the back of the hotel you will notice the ever prevailing stench from what source I have not determined but no amount of spray fragrances will ever make this ok.

The room, well the bed is so hard I went to the mall down the street and purchased a foam mattress to sleep on, and with the stains on the bedding I thought perhaps a good idea would be to procure some bedding as well, I left these at the hotel. somewhat concerned about bringing them to my home.

The clothing I had with me and the suitcase came home with the prevailing odor of the building, and I was very sick the last two weeks I was there.

This was honestly the worst business trip I have ever had and would rather be unemployed than stay in this building again, I expressed this to my employer and was moved for my fourth week.

Room Tip: there are none
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
John M, General Manager at Edmonton Inn and Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded October 29, 2012

Thank you for your review. The matresses in the hotel were purchased in the last three years and the duvets were purchased in 2012. I will discuss your review with our Housekeeping department to address your concerns.

Regards,