“SUPERB ACCOMODATION & STAFF”

Holiday Inn Express Edmonton Downtown
Ranked #44 of 93 Hotels in Edmonton
Reviewed May 31, 2010

I stayed here in 2009 as I was in Edmonton for a job interview.

I specifically selected this hotel, after much reasearch on the internet for the following reasons: LOCATION, BREAKFAST, FACILITIES AND HOTEL BRAND

The hotel is centrally located just off the main avenue of the DOWNTOWN area and so traffic etc, is not an issue. In fact, I found the area around the hotel quiet.
Taxi's are available outside, but this hotel is within walking distance of a majority of pubs, restaurants and local points of interest.
On arrival, I found the staff extremely helpful and courteous and welcoming. My room was a suite and so I had a tremendously comfortable bed and pillows, telephone (which also included FREE LOCAL CALLS), internet access, coffee maker, desk, TV etc.
Personally, I was highly impressed with the room.
I used the swimming pool on several occasions and the gym, but the gym do with an upgrade.
Breafast comprises cereals, bagels, bacon, eggs etc with an abundance of juice and coffee, alongwith coffee cups you can fill and take with you!!
My colleagues stayed in other hotels in the area who did not offer breakfast, local calls etc. On visiting me they were impressed with the rooms, and facilities there and they were staying in more expensive hotels closeby.

My stay of 9 days was faultless and the breakfast bar and recption staff always happy with a smile and a 'GOOD MORNING SIR'

I would highly recommend this hotel would stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Express Edmonton Downtown

Reviewed May 10, 2010

The best thing was the staff. Always helpful, always cheerful, always friendly. We saw many instances of going beyond what was expected.
The pool and spa were in very good shape, the breakfast bar had a wide selection, the fridge and microwave in our "feature" room were very useful, the free business centre was a nice touch, as was the free internet.
The central location is good, within walking distance of the art gallery, the theaters and the library, with a great grocery store a block away.
If we go back to Edmonton, we'll definitely stay here.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed March 10, 2010

I take OHS courses downtown Edmonton so I decided to stay here. It was a perfect walk in the morning and in the afternoon, could have even been a bit longer. The hotel staff were very helpful, the continental type breakfast was great!
Iv always thought the beds here were the best! And... they still are. I love em! Unfortunately, my room was located right behind one of the elevators... so that didnt help. But hey, someones bound to get that room! Other than that, it was great! Had a nice view, nice clean room, not to mention, the toilettries (?) they provide. Even Neutrogena Chapstick! That was awesome!

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed November 17, 2009

Hotel has good location, its downtown and its where Red Arrow station is. Comfortable room and bed. Breakfast is not the standard you would find anywhere else. On top of the scramble eggs, bacons and toast, it has cranberry juice, hot cinnamon buns, and a wide selection of coffee and teas.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 25, 2009

I found this a very reasonably priced hotel in downtown Edmonton. The continental breakfast is good and the dining area is kept very clean. Lots of tables are available and an efficient staff to clear dishes away. The soundproofing between the rooms is not great - I could hear conversations next door. If you have a noisy neighbour you might have to shift rooms. Looks like the rooms have been recently renovated and the decor is quite pleasant. Appreciated having desk, high speed internet, a microwave and small fridge. Would be a good idea to have network cable available in the desk - I had to buy one. The hotel lacks air conditioning during spring and fall. Balcony door doesn't seem very secure - but I guess you would have to be "spiderman" to scale the outside of building. A bar at bottom would provide added security. The elevators have card control security measures - but the elevators appear worn. It would be helpful to offer maps of downtown - and transit information - to guests at check-in. Edmonton was a pleasant surprise. West Edmonton Mall is a must see. Taxis approximately $21 +/- fee there from hotel - one way.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed October 13, 2009

Right in the heart of downtown and recently renovated. Don’t expect any frills here. There are trolleys at the entrance….be careful….they are a VERY tight fit in the elevator! The carpets and beds were new. We appreciated the patio . There was no bathroom exhaust fan. There was a nice large fridge in our room which we received by upgrading for $10 an night. The one BIG problem was that the hotel has turned off the A/C for the winter. At midnight the room was still excessively hot with no way to cool it off except to open the patio door. This cooled off the room of course BUT the traffic noise made it impossible to sleep with the door open. So……Too Hot or Too Noisy….pick how you want to lay awake! While we were complaining at the front desk about the lack of climate control. the couple beside us were checking out and also complaining about the same thing. If it were not for the fact that we had too busy a day planned, we did not have any spare time to relocate to another hotel so we gave them a second nights try. They sent up maintenance to see if they can make our room cooler the second night. They obviously allow pets here as we found dog hair on our carpet. The beds were very comfy….we know we laid awake in it all night. The towels were a little rough. The hot and cold continental breakfast filled the gap….sort of. Got home from our afternoon out and the room had been cleaned BUT there was no Kleenex to replace the empty box and no toilet paper to replace the empty roll....even after leaving a housekeeping tip! Sound travels TERRIBLY in and around the hotel. You can hear people on the street on their cell phones from our 8th floor room.
No Air made the room HOT to sleep in and we have to leave the patio door open slightly to get some cool air in. Thank goodness we were not having a Chinook at the time!! These people that run the Hotel should learn the hot air rises. Don't expect to communicate with the staff to well unless you speak some language other than english or french.!

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
TimCEdmonton, Rooms Division Manager at Holiday Inn Express Edmonton Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded November 29, 2009

I would first like to thank this guest, for taking the time to write this review. Feedback of any kind is appreciated.; even ones that aren’t as glowing as most. They help keep us on our toes and identify areas where we may need to improve.

Our two-pipe heat/AC system provides heat in the winter and air conditioning in the summer but not both at the same time, which is not uncommon in a number of buildings. During the transition between winter and summer, it can sometimes be a challenge to get the temperature just right, depending on what Mother Nature sends our way. As stated on a notice attached to the balcony door, we don’t recommend keeping it open, as this depressurizes the room and tends to draw heat in through the ducts. We have available and are happy to deliver portable heaters or fans to help nudge the temperature into your personal comfort zone, as is stated on the sticker above the thermostat.

The bathrooms are vented via a central system. The fan is on the roof of the Hotel and is therefore inaudible in the bathroom, but it is always working.

The housekeeping issues have been passed on to the Housekeeper for review and action.
We wish to thank the guest again for this notification, as it is by feedback such as this, that we can continue to improve the hotel and it’s services.

The multicultural makeup of our little family at the Holiday Inn Express is something of which we are very proud. As we entertain guests from all over the world, our diversity has been a real blessing. While it may be a second language for some, English is spoken and understood by everyone here. If this particular guest was having difficulty communicating her message, there would have been any number of people she could have turned to. I, for instance, am considered quite fluent in the language and would have been happy to assist.

We are glad to hear that this guest enjoyed our pillowtop beds, complimentary hot breakfast and the fridge and microwave in the room. We are also pleased that this guest noticed some of our many recent upgrades, including the new carpet. Our journey of Continuous Improvement will see many more updates, some of which have already taken place, since they departed.
We invite them back to see for themselves.

Reviewed August 16, 2009

I stay in Edmonton a lot. And this is my hotel when there. It is the nicest. No. The cheapest. No. The most services and luxuries? No.

But, his hotel is a good Holiday Inn in terms of room. Large, modern and clean. All have a balcony. Good beds.

The location is great in terms of being central and connected to the Red Arrow. Great.

Location is bad in terms of some shady characters across the street.

But, the manager of this hotel has decided to make this little Holiday Inn the best hotel in the world. His commitment, and the commitment of all the staff, shows in spades.

Nothing can't be done. From directions to ridiculous (really) printing and copying requests. Done. Now. No charge. Wow.

Drinks and snacks on Wednesday nights. Why? Don't know. But I also don't know the last time a hotel manager (especially a Holiday Inn Express) handed me a glass of free wine, shook my hand and said, "thank you for staying here. Is there anything else I can do for you?"

First class check in. EVERY member of the staff asks me if I need anything else.

If you want a fancier hotel, there are other places. But if you want a hotel where you know you'll show up, get a good room at a good price, and EVERYTHING you legitimately need will be looked after to the very best of the staff's ability. This is the place. For me, though I could afford to stay at a place with more stars. I won't. This is my home away from home. Well done.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled on business