“Great place to stay”

Hampton Inn by Hilton Edmonton/South
Ranked #14 of 93 Hotels in Edmonton
Reviewed April 28, 2011

We were in Edmonton just before Easter to do some shopping and visit West Edmonton Mall. This hotel is situated on the edge of the city just as you arrive. Though it seems like it could be a remote location it was actually perfect. We were about 3 minutes away from south Edmonton Commons and if you take Anthony Henday drive about 15 minutes from West Ed. The rooms were spacious and clean and the beds were very comfortable. Our only concern in the room was how hot the water was if you weren't careful about how you turned the tap. Could be a bonus for some but with a 3 year old it was a bit concerning if she tried to turn the tap on herself. We found the hotel nice and quiet, staff was very friendly. Great continental breakfast with lots to choose from. We would go down for breakfast around 9am and it always seemed like the food was fresh and had just been put in the warmers. Waffles were amazing! Pool was nice and clean if a bit cold. Great place to stay and we will definitely be back.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank beachfan1975

Reviewed April 18, 2011

I was so impressed by the level of comfort I felt at this hotel. It is a newer hotel, so it is very clean and all of the furnishings are very comfortable and up to date. The bed was a dream and the washroom had a tub (which seems to not happen in the newer hotels). I had a suite and it was very spacious feeling....with a large desk area which was great for working. It also had a fridge/microwave/bar area which was nice. My only complaints are that there seemed to be a lack of waste baskets where needed (bar area/vanity) and the room didn't have a folding luggage rack.
The breakfast was perfect - the fresh fruit salad made this hotel stand apart from others in its class.
I did have some concerns about the way my reservation was handled by the evening staff, but Jo-Ann (hope I have the name right) who was on in the morning was absolutely fabulous in addressing my concerns and letting me know how to ensure the issues do not arise again. Her service in itself will create a lifetime Hampton Edmonton South guest out of me - which says a lot as I visit the Region quarterly. Thanks!

Room Tip: Suites are all near elevators...noisier.
Reviewed April 16, 2011

This hotel is on the top of my places to stay. My husband was in the Grey Nuns hospital for 5 days and rather than have family drive me from north edmonton to south edmonton every morning at 7 am I decided to stay in a hotel much closer. Right from reservation to checkout the service was excellent. I explained that I wasn't sure what day he was being released and they said that wasn't a problem and were very understanding. The rooms were spotless and they even found me a fridge and microwave for the room. They have a direct line to the Co-op Taxi line and they also offered excellent service. The hotel was quiet even with all of the construction going on. The breakfast downstairs was really a bonus and delicious. I can't thank them enough for the service and cleanliness. What a fantastic new hotel.

Room Tip: All great rooms I think
Reviewed April 6, 2011

I really like this hotel (and Hampton Inns) because of the affordable price, cleanliness, free breakfast and wifi. The service was great - I got in late and accidentally left my headlights on - the front desk called and saved me from a dead battery in the morning. I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for an even-numbered room (quietest)
2  Thank laurenj2727
Reviewed April 4, 2011

When I looked into booking a room and compared five or six hotel booking websites, all said $129 CDN for a room with one king sized bed. The hotel website said "for our best rates, call the hotel reservation number. So, I decided to call the number. When I telephoned I was told that the best rate was $129 CDN - I told the reservation clerk that I might as well have booked it through one of the hotel reservation sites because their rates were the same. I asked if there was a corporate rate because we had to travel to Edmonton to pick up my husband's permanent resident card at the Canadian Immigration office and he had already had to take two days off work to travel to Edmonton in order to do that. I was told that if I had an AAA card that I would receive a better rate. I said that we had a CAA card - I was then told that this particular hotel did not have CAA rates only AAA. I booked a room with one king sized bed for $139 CDN. When I returned to the hotel website, I saw the CAA card symbol that both AAA/CAA cards were recognized. When we arrived at the hotel, we asked again about the CAA card and the front desk clerk said, yes, they did accept CAA cards that the reservation clerk was wrong and that we would be given the rate of $129, again the same rate that the travel sites were booking at without a CAA card.

We were in the room about twenty minutes before the noise started - it sounded as though we were below a gym or bowling alley. When we telephoned to complain of the noise, the noise coming from the room above got worse. We telephoned the room above ourselves and they denied that they were making any noise. The quality of soundproofing between ceiling and floors is extremely poor!!! We then telephoned again to complain to hotel staff. We asked if we could be moved. We were told that we could only be moved to a room with two queen beds. When asked if we would have a reduced rate for this room because we had booked a room with one king sized bed, we were told "no, because "out of the goodness of their hearts, we had already received a complimentary upgrade to the room with the king sized bed". I said "what complimentary upgrade, we booked a room with one king sized bed and we were not willing to move to a room that was less than we booked without some reduction in room rate". She kept repeating that we got a complimentary upgrade to this room and I kept telling her that it was not an upgrade because that's the type of room we booked. I asked to speak to the manager and she told me that she was the manager for that shift. What could you have done to exceed our expectations - we could have accepted moving to a lesser type room if we had been given a significantly reduced rate for our inconvenience. All we got instead was excuses - that it wasn't their fault that teams were staying at the hotel, that they were full and couldn't move us anywhere else, and that out of the goodness of their hearts we were already getting a complimentary upgrade (which wasn't an upgrade or reduction in price, at all), etc. We ended up only staying at this hotel for an hour and a half and leaving, very disatisfied and frustrated that . We will not stay there again and we will not be recommending it to anyone that we know because the sound proofing between floors is non-existant and because your staff did not deal with the tenants above effectively in the first place, as well as not compromising on a reduced rate if we were the ones having to move to a room of lesser quality than we booked. I used to work at a motel and we never booked teams anywhere other than the ground floor where they wouldn't disturb other guests below them. As a hotel for business guests, this hotel rates very low due to the poor sound proofing qualities.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
4  Thank Snowflake3939
Reviewed March 22, 2011

Let me get the worst/confusing part over first. I booked the room for my husband and I and our 3 teenage children, it was clearly stated that 5 of us were sharing a two queen bed room. We arrive at the hotel, and find out that not only were there no cots left, but apparently letting us have a cot in the room is against fire code. (what??) I assured him that I had put in a request on Expedia when booked to say I needed a cot but that part was cut off on his screen. Anyways...when it comes down to it, if you book 5 people into a room there, that's fine, but you're supposed to share two queen beds.

Now for the parts I liked. The hotel is new and clean, beds were comfortable (and they did provide some extra bedding for my kid who had to sleep on the floor..). The free breakfast had a little of everything available and my kids LOVED it. Saved us a ton of cash too.

I have no idea what the pool was like as we didn't try it but it looked decent and clean , if slightly on the smaller side.

There is construction in the immediate area and a train but we weren't bothered by any of it.

Overall it was a nice hotel with nice rooms and beds, as long as you don't have 5 people to a room ;)

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed March 20, 2011

We just stayed here and it was ok, but obviously not like the other reviews. There were some teams staying here and we could hear everything all night. We needed extra pillows and blankets and when we asked for them the front desk guy said he was too busy to bring them up. A friend was in the lobby at that time and I asked what he was doing and she said he was standing there not doing anything. The parking was also hard to find because of construction going on and not any room. When we checked out we told the girl what we thought and were pretty much shot down because they cater to business men and its a self serve hotel. Not sure where that was written but we will be staying in the best western across the street for now on, much better service and nicer people at the front, and a waterslide.

• Stayed: April 2010