“Worst Hotel I ever stay in.”

The Westin Edmonton
Ranked #18 of 93 Hotels in Edmonton
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed September 3, 2010

Worst Hotel I ever stay in.
I rent over 100 of Hotel room in my life. For business and pleasure.
But this experience was one and only one with a veray bad experience.

First of all the front Hotel boy direct me to park my car in a privet parking lot.

The price of the room giving to me at the front desk, was one of the most expensive one on the Hotel web site. (I find that out later) There was lots of chipper room the clerk could have suggest me. The clerk give me a price just to find out the next day on my invoice that the price was almost 10% more including all the surcharge & tax Ect.. I tool the front desk that I had a car and a small camper behind it. I also toll the clerk that the front boy toll me to park my car & trailer in the back beside the hotel. She never suggest me a parking space The next day I find a $75.00 parking ticket on my window. The clerk know I had a car and never toll me there was a extra cost to park a vehicle on the Hotel parking lot. Can you believe it, you rent a hotel room and they do not supply a parking space for your car at lees you pay to have one. I was just ignore by the manager the next day.
By the way the television is not too clear and the internet, you could not see it because it look so snowed.
Ho ya! I almost forget. There was only a quarter of toilet paper roll in the hole room. Had to call front desk to have more.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Pom0

Reviewed August 18, 2010

I chose the Westin for our wedding night thinking it would be upscale because of the price and website. I was so wrong. I should have checked the ratings here beforehand! I booked the room several weeks before and called the day before the wedding to be sure everything was set to go. We asked to get our room earlier in the day so the wedding party could get ready. (We were married across the street at the Citadel.) When we arrived at the hotel, the clerk refused to let us into the room unless we paid for the entire stay up front. My in-laws had already put the room on their credit card as part of their gift. Supposedly it was because their name had been put on the reservation, not ours. (Although I was in the room when they booked the night, and they specifically explained that it was for us and they were paying as a gift.) One of my bridesmaids ended up paying for it since we had just spent everything on our wedding! (of course with definite plans to pay her back) We paid for parking in the Westin parkade, found a spot, but the elevators were out of service. We searched around for a stairwell, made it all the way to the main floor only to find the doors didn't have handles! (It was a one way from the ballroom lobby) We had to go all the way back down and find a way around to the front of the hotel, dress and everything in tow.

The room was well laid out with a den, two TVs, a couch, and other things but on further inspection, it was very disappointing. One of the doors of the TV cupboard was broken and hanging open, the bathroom was dirty and smelled like mold, the sheets looked like they had been slept in (we found some interesting stains, to say the least - AFTER sleeping in the bed UGH! and, no, it was not us.), the coffee and other toiletries had been used, and after getting my dress on and getting ready to leave, we discovered dog hair all over the train! My bridesmaids had it on their dresses as well after sitting on the couch. Unfortunately, we were already running late and needed to get to the ceremony so we didn't have a chance to ask to have the room cleaned before we came back. When we did come back, there was no parking left in the parkade, even though we had registered our license plate, and we were forced to pay another $23 for parking down the street.

We wanted to eat at the restaurant but the prices were way too high for the simple menu and lack of service. We went to use the pool but it was emptied and the changing rooms were disgusting and needed updating. (funny that there wasn't a sign at the front desk about the pool.) The fitness room was alright but seemed like it hadn't been checked for some time (few towels, a bit messy). It was around 3 am when we were woken up by an automated message from the hotel on the phone welcoming us to the Westin. When we woke up the next morning to a 5 am alarm we didn't set, I found bites on my feet. Normally, I don't complain about service but that sent me right down to the front desk.

The plus? When we arrived back at the room, we found a card from the staff, a bottle of champagne, and chocolate covered strawberries to congratulate us. The morning clerk was friendly and helpful and removed some items from our bill (parking included). I called the head office the next day and complained about the bites on my feet, etc., and they completely refunded our entire stay.

I'm glad they refunded our stay but we didn't have a honeymoon, and this made for a horrible, horrible substitute.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 17, 2010

I spend about 20 days per year at the westin edmonton.
Pros: friendly staff and good housekeeping
upgraded lobby is refreshing and stylish.
Complimentry starbucks coffee and scented wash cloths in the lobby.
Close to LRT if you have business (trade show) at northlands. Very convenient.

Cons: expensive parking for edmonton, check your bill ..front desk people are very friendly but always seem to have errors on my bill that gets corrected quickly when pointed out.

TIP: The parking lot directly behind the hotel (behind ruth chris steakhouse) always has spots available and is $9.00 for parking until 6am or $15.00 to park until 9am. This is cheap compared to the approx $30.00 to park in the hotel.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed August 13, 2010

The first thing you need to know is this hotel is geared for the business man. If your not on an expense account, expect to pay big bucks here. They have there own parking but if you don't know where to find it, you will end up in the Library parkade which is at the front of the hotel. A night there will set you back $30. If you allow the Westin to park your vehicle, it will only cost you $24....plus the tip! We had a king size room but it was the oddest set up. The tv was to the side of the bed so you couldn't lay in bed and watch tv. The room had a small table but only one chair. It had a big business desk with a high back chair so if you are into working for the night, this place is for you. We had a door for an adjoining room, which I hate because there is never a security latch and you can always hear the other rooms tv. The rest of the room was nothing special. The only bright spot was the bed. It was quite comfortable. You had to keep the fan on in the room to drown out the traffic noise. They had some finger foods at the lobby cafe and I think it was free but there was no signage and nobody manning the plates. We checked the menus at the cafe and it was way out of our range. We had made a prepaid reservation on THEIR website but when we tried to check in they had no record of it. Fortunately, I had a printed copy of my confirmation so they honored it. Without that, they were going to make me pay again. Even if I was traveling on business, I would not stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 13, 2010

We were touched by the thoughtfulness, extravagance, and courtesies gifted to us. We had never stayed at any Starwood properties prior to this stay, but we sure will in the future. The champagne and chocolate covered strawberries were awesome, not to mention the view from the 20th floor! The bar has been set very high for us by The Westin Edmonton, thank you to Management & Staff for making our Anniversary more than special and very memorable, we look forward to staying with you again !

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 12, 2010

This hotel's service has improved immensely from my first stay over a year ago. I was at this hotel for about 3 weeks for business in July and enjoyed my stay. The staff will go out of their way to make your stay enjoyable. The room service menu is great and I never had a bad meal. There are some fantastic restaurants within walking distance of the hotel, notably The Creperie.
Be aware of staying on the side of the hotel that faces the bars on the weekends (starting Thursday) in the summer due to noise from music on the patios.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed August 11, 2010

We enjoy staying at the Westin when we visit Edmonton. We always feel so special when greeted by the Bellman/valet. They even washed our vehicle for us. Thanks Miles! They exceed our service exceptions and go above and beyond. Very professional.

We left our room early Saturday morning and didn't return until 4pm to get ready for dinner. At 4pm, our room still had not been cleaned. When they did find the time to clean our room, they didn't leave us any amenities, only two towels, and no toilet paper. (We later found a roll of toilet paper in the back of the closet?? Thank God!) We called and asked to have some amenities brought up, but they never arrived. Terrible service for a Westin.

We had a very difficult time getting the internet to work in our room. It is $12.00 per day and parking is $36.00 per day. (Although other hotels were $2.00 per day on Sundays) We feel we overpaid.

Friday night there was also excessive noise. A party going on in our hallways with lots of doors being slammed. The room was clean at check in. We had a great sleep the second night and we are able to bring our dog. But there is a different crowd in the hotel on the weekends. There was no hot tub and screaming kids in the pool at 10pm at night with no supervision. Not every elegant on the weekend.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business