“Great Hotel - Not a fan of the extra charges though”

The Westin Edmonton
Ranked #20 of 93 Hotels in Edmonton
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed August 5, 2010

I really liked my hotel room and it's amenities. The shower had a double showerhead which is handy and the AC was easy to work in the room. The room was a perfect size for what I needed. My only suggestions would be more lighting in the bathroom as it was very dark when I took my shower and I had all the lights on. As well, need to change the location of the TV as it was next to my bed and not in front and you tend to get neck strain if you're staying up watching late night TV (which I don't do at home!).

My biggest beef would have to be the extra charges upon checkout. I didn't notice it until after I did it but even a local call costs $2 with a per minute charge. Internet cost $11 a day which should be free as even the cheap hotels have it for free. Parking is $26 a night which I'm sure is standard for that area but it seemed to add a little more pain to the bill. Perhaps it would have been nice to be told that when booking but I got this hotel through Hotwire so I have no idea who's fault that would be. I would only not recommend this hotel to my friends as they wouldn't want to pay extra for all I listed above (maybe parking).

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled solo
Kat_Westin, Executive Office at The Westin Edmonton, responded to this reviewResponded August 9, 2010

Thank you for taking the time to submit a review of your recent stay.

To ensure value for price paid, The Westin Edmonton is constantly assessing our competitive pricing for incidentals within 4 diamond city center hotels across Canada.

If you would like discuss our pricing structures, please send an email to WestinEdmonton.01079@westin.com so we may respond to you in detail.

There are newer reviews for The Westin Edmonton

Reviewed July 30, 2010

Westins are known for their comfort and service, and we did experience this on our stay. The staff was very helpful, gave good directions to places and transit. THe hotel is showing it's age though and our room had a "funk" of a smell to it. As if it had been a smoking room 10 years ago and the carpets weren't quite willing to let the smell go!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with friends
Kat_Westin, Executive Office at The Westin Edmonton, responded to this reviewResponded August 3, 2010

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments.

I am sorry that we did not live up to the expectations that you had of our rooms.

If you would like to discuss your experience with a member of our team please send an email to westinedmonton.01079@westin.com so we may address these issues with you directly.

Reviewed July 28, 2010

Stayed for business with family. Kids had a great time. They have a kids club which came us a free kids movie rental and fruit and milk each night. One day the pool was being serviced and they gave us passes to a nearby hotel. Great stay. Parking is a bit overpriced though!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business

Our associates work hard to ensure all of our valued guests receive the Westin welcome that we are known for.

Thank you for taking the time to recognize them.

I hope you and your family enjoyed the rest of your summer vacation.

Be well

Reviewed July 26, 2010

Nothing special here. A decent hotel right downtown with nothing to recommend it. The lobby/bar/restaurant makes you feel like you are in purgatory, and the rooms are truly anonymous. If you are looking for a place to sleep fine - if you get a good rate. But there absolutely nothing memorable about this hotel, and you'll forget it the second you check out.

Parking is steep by Edmonton standards. the best thing about it is probably the Sherlock pub half a block away, or a surprisingly decent Japanese steakhouse across the street.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank NXN1
Kat_Westin, Executive Office at The Westin Edmonton, responded to this reviewResponded July 27, 2010

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments.

I am sorry that we did not live up to the expectations that you had of our property.

If you would like to discuss your recent experience with us further, please feel free to contact westinedmonton.01079@westin.com

Reviewed July 21, 2010

This hotel is a gem! If you need to stay in Edmonton for any reason I strongly recommend this hotel. Valet your car, it is worth every penny!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with friends

Thank you for being a guest of The Westin Edmonton and leaving valuable comments on the remarkable service you received during your stay with us.

Thank you again for providing the gift of feedback and we look forward to providing you with another inspiring and memorable visit.

Be well,

Reviewed July 18, 2010

Stayed at Westin Edmonton last week:
- excellent customer service...everyone I encountered provided great service, well done.
- room was outstanding...clean, comfortable, great amenities.
- hotel itself close to fabulous restaurants, business centers, points of interest.
- breakfast buffet outstanding...I wish I was still there.
- fairly priced for a downtown hotel in a major Canadian city.
- very much enjoyed the Starbucks coffee and later in the day, iced tea in the main lobby.
- thouroughly enjoyed watching the Montreal Alouettes team members cruising about, although they beat my BC Lions several days ago.

Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Kat_Westin, Executive Office at The Westin Edmonton, responded to this reviewResponded July 20, 2010

Thank you for taking the time to submit a review of your recent stay.

I am delighted to read that you found the hotel stylish and comfortable and that you had the chance to experience renewal in one of our rooms.

We look forward to hosting you again in the future.

Reviewed July 14, 2010

We have just spent three nights in Edmonton at the Westin and have had a wonderful experience. We have family living in Edmonton now and will be returning to visit often. The hotel was in a very central location. The room was very comfortable and the bed was as advertised - heavenly. We also appreciated the coffee bar centrally located in the lobby as well as the hot towels and mint tea available in the afternoon. The staff was also friendly and the breakfast menu delicious.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple