“Neglect to tell little details”

The Westin Edmonton
Ranked #19 of 93 Hotels in Edmonton
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed December 30, 2008

When we booked this hotel, we called in and asked about the fitness center, as we wanted a hotel with a decent work out room. The girl on the phone told us all the great things about it, such as, it was sponsered by Reebok, when we checked in to our room, we went to the fitness center to check it out and found it that it was closed from 9am-5pm our entire stay, they were fixing the pool. Therefore, we could not sleep in if we wanted to get our workouts in. As far as I am concerned, we should have been told about this when we called to book the room, as we were told about the pool being closed.
When we booked we were told our room would $139 + taxes, which wasn't bad. When we got there, we were told that there would be a charge of $24/night for parking, not valet!! There were only a few spots underground that would fit our vehicle, if those spots were taken we had to park outside without plug ins, not good for a diesel truck. We still had to pay the $24/night if we parked outside.
Most of the staff was friendly, there were the odd ones that seemed like you were bothering them.
Our bill for 3 nights was well over $550!! I would not stay at this hotel again!!!

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Holidayer27

Reviewed December 19, 2008

While looking through the internet for accommodations in Edmonton, my husband and I thought wow, that's a good looking hotel (from the photos), and when we looked at the room description we thought wow, that's pretty good for the price of the room. We booked a room with a king bed and heavenly this and that sort of thing. The parking was a problem so we just went with the valet service. The staff were friendly upon arriving. The key cards to be used for the elevator were sort of annoying as it was a bit difficult to use. When we first looked at our room we thought, wow, looks amazing. Then we settled in a little bit, and that's when we noticed that the ice bucket was dusty, the mirrors in the bathroom had water spots on them, and we only had one face cloth.
We were looking at the room service menu and oh my God! The prices of the food here are just way overpriced! a glass of juice for $6.50, coffee $6.50 (not a pot but a cup!), a glass of milk for $4.50.
Well, we decided to just get some dessert, I got a warm chocolate brownie for $11.00 and my husband got a strawberry labomba cake for $10.00, when they came up and gave us the bill, it was $29.36! Just unbelievable. The internet is $10.95 plus tax, a local phone call cost $1.49 plus $0.15 cents a minute after the first 60 minutes, even toll free calls cost money. This hotel is just too expensive! And to top it off, my nieces were in a hurry to eat their supper so they could go swimming....Surprise, surprise! There was no water on the pool! There was this paper on the door to the entrance of the pool that it was closed for maintenance for two weeks! An absolute waste of time, and money! We should have just stayed at a travelodge, a howard johnson, or a ramada where there is ample parking, free wireless internet and local calls, a working pool, and free breakfast! *** For a 4 star hotel, you would think that they have first class service and star quality but just one disappointment after another! ***

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank EJCSAF
Reviewed December 5, 2008

I stayed at this hotel because my usual hotel was fully booked. The good: rooms have been upgraded to typical Westin decor, the bed comfortable, room clean. The bad: a few little problems. For example: at checkin, there was no record of a package that had been shipped ahead for me, and that had been confirmed delivered to the hotel that morning; parking valet service is non-existent after 11 pm – good luck finding anyone, let alone a front desk clerk at that time of the night; room service breakfast was not as ordered; business center out of supplies and all cupboards locked; housekeeping loudly talking and banging on doors at 8:00 am despite door tag requesting privacy. While by themselves they are little things, they add up to some overall dissatisfaction.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed November 24, 2008

I travel to Edmonton every single week for work. I used to stay at the Westin but ended up cancelling a year's worth of bookings because I was fed up with the service.

The hotel is alright, the beds are comfortable, the fitness room is decent. The fitness room has personalized televisions and sometimes they have disposable headphones. They also leave a bowl of apples to munch on.

If you leave for work every morning like me you can get around the horrendous valet charge by parking yourself and buying a ticket from the machine - even though the tickets expire at 6 am, they don't check until after 7 am - I'm always gone by then.

Where the hotel fails is staff training. The checkin is amazingly slow - at peak hours they will only have one person checking people in while the rest of the staff run back and forth between the back room and the front with no apparent purpose.

There's a giant pillar blocking the view from the checkin desk - perhaps they just don't see the line up.

Here's why I gave up on the hotel:
1. Numerous stays when I was given a room key for an occupied room - and yes, I have walked in on THAT.
2. Returned back to the hotel many times for my second night only to discover that my room key had been deactivated. Would wait for 20 -30 minutes for someone to correct this (after waiting for the elevator up, and then back down again).
3. Continuous Voice messageing "beep" on the phone that would wake me up at 11:30 pm - it was an automated "Welcome to the Westin" message that they felt necessary to send while I was sleeping.
4. Double tips on my hotel room bill - it's a scam in their restaurant. If someone is on business they tack on an "accidental" extra tip. Most travellers on expense accounts can't be bothered to wait for the hour to two hours to get a $5 bill error cleared. The answer - never ever charge your restaurant meal to your room. Once you do, you've already agreed to pay whatever they put on there.
5. And the big reason that I finally cancelled it all was the day they refused to allow me access to a room when I was loaded down with luggage. They wanted to see my corporate ID. It was in the car. I asked them to let me put my luggage in the room and then I would get the ID from the car - they had my credit card, they had my driver's licence, I had stayed at the hotel every single week. The desk clerk refused to allow me to leave my luggage in a room. I had to haul it to the outside lot around the corner in the dark to get the ID. When I showed it to him and requested to speak to the manager he said "what's the matter with you? You are trying to commit fraud and I am trying to prevent it."

I had been umbelievably patient with their overcharges and crappy service and that idiot's comment took the cake. I don't give them my business ever and I never will again. My company spent tens of thousands of dollars in that hotel every year and now we spend it elsewhere.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank CalgaryAnna
Reviewed November 20, 2008

Several times over the past year, when visiting my daughter at the U of A in Edmonton, I have stayed at the Westin. I have always found the staff to professional, pleasant and helpful. What is most important to me is having an exceptionally comfortable bed and a quiet room and I have never been disappointed. The location is perfect - close to shops, restaurants and just a short drive to the University area.

It's a great hotel and continues to be my first choice when visiting Edmonton.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 3, 2008

The hotel is well situated in the centre of town. Easy access to shops and night life. However the service is poor.

Check in took in excess of 15 minutes, not to mention the wait of another 15 minutes to get up the elevators. Rooms are poorly insulated and therefore conversations in the hall, phones ringing in next door rooms can all be heard.

The garage can only handle small cars and therefore I was forced to park in a public car park behind the hotel (managed by the hotel). I checked my car in at the front desk, paying $24/day for the priviledge and guess what I was given a ticket!!!

The safe in my room was locked and I requested someone to open it on both the Friday and Saturday, needless to say when I left on Sunday it was still firmly locked.

I was in a deluxe 'upgraded' room, God only knows what a "non-upgraded' room looks like. The rooms are dated with mis matched furniture and the bathrooms are acceptable for a mid class 3* hotel, just ignore the hairs on the floor and in the bathroom, I certainly do not have long black hair!!!!

Would I stay here again? If the company was paying yes, on my own card, not likely!

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled solo
1  Thank Max_scot1976
Reviewed September 26, 2008

My stay at the Westin Edmonton was disappointing. The room doors were poorly insulated for sound and all hallway noise filtered in throughout day and night. The hotel also charged $10.95 per day for internet access, (per computer) e.g. if you have a personal and a business computer you will have to pay $22 per day for the privilege of using the internet. While the staff were generally friendly I do not find that they were willing to go the extra mile that should be expected in a 4 star establishment. The room appointments were modern but show wear (pilled bedspread, scuffed furniture). Cleanliness was also below par (spotted mirrors, dirty bathroom taps). Many good alternatives available, I'd check them out instead.

• Stayed: September 2008