“Disappointing from the Start”

The Westin Edmonton
Ranked #21 of 93 Hotels in Edmonton
GreenLeadersBronze level
Beijing, China
“Disappointing from the Start”
Reviewed July 13, 2014 via mobile

I have stayed at this downtown Edmonton property in the past and enjoyed a 5* experience. Unfortunately this was not one of those visits. I came in from a very long drive and drove in to the Westin to find a valet. I was greeted by a man in a green tshirt. Westin is supporting the street performance festival and the staff are wearing green shirts. I'm a theatre professional so I admire the effort but this casual uniform is inappropriate. Part of my trip here is to see the festival and I still say, "yuck". This valet is taking my car and I'm looking as this shirt wondering if I'm handing my car to a con man. He was gracious and I figured out what was happening eventually. He took my bags to checkin where things fell apart. The girl at the desk was a disaster, rude, sharp, made me stress out that my reservation was lost, had me on the phone with my travel agent, and then shoved keys at me with no instructions whatsoever as to hotel amenities, never mind any normal 5* services like dinner recommendations or etc. Last week I stayed at Varscona and I wish I was there right now. The room is the same or nicer there, but the service is far superior there. Here, the wait staff even seem annoyed. The hallway on 7th floor is scarred and shabby. The room is blah. I'm watching the hotel channel boast their service. Not today, and not here Starwood!

Stayed July 2014
WestinMelissa, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin Edmonton, responded to this review, July 17, 2014
Dear KarieJean,
Thank you very much for taking the time to let us know how your last stay with us went. I am so sorry to hear that your experience did not meet your 5* expectations - expectations that I know we can meet. Please connect with me at westinedmonton.01079@westin.com, I would like to know more about what we could have done to make your stay a true 5* experience. I look forward to hearing from you. For a better you. Melissa.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (214)
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed July 13, 2014 via mobile

The Westin is just off of Jasper Ave in the downtown core. The hotel looks very stylish from the outside and the lobby area has a nice appearance.

The rooms are quite large and include black out drapes, coffee maker, etc and I have to say.....an extremely comfortable bed. The decor is very drab though which makes the room look like it is old and tired and very average. Some splashes of bright colours would add so much.

Though the staff in the restaurant were very good and efficient, the food was fairly mediocre and pricey like most hotels.

I didn't get a chance to use the pool or gym which was the main reason I went with the Westin this time over my usual hotel choice. So much for that.

The Westin is fine, it won't wow you in any way - but some of their extra costs might ow you. Such as the Wifi at $10 per day, and a LOCAL phone call that cost me $7.60 (apparently local calls are $1.49 for the first hour, then $.15 per minute after that) Wish I had known, I would have hung up part way through and dialled again.

If you are a Starwood member the wifi is free, but the local calls obviously are not.

Would I stay again? It wouldn't be my first choice out of the other 4 star hotels in the area but if the price was right and I wanted a pool....yes.

Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Dear Vansportsfan,
Thank you very much for your review of our hotel. We are entering a season of renovations and refreshing of the hallways and wing rooms. I am excited for you to see the changes that it makes for the feel of the hotel. Please connect with me before your next stay at westinedmonton.01079@westin.com. We love hearing ways we can continue to improve our service from our guests. Thank you again. For a better you. Melissa.
Victoria Capital Regional District, Canada
Reviewed July 11, 2014

Booked on Hotwire. Hotwire said parking was $16/night but turns out it was over $30/night TO PARK YOURSELF! Insanity!

Line up to get into the hotel had one couple ahead of me and one person at check in. Still took 10 minutes to get checked in. There was more staff at the valet and the elevator than the check in desk.

When I did check in, the guy was super friendly (made up for the 10 minute wait)

Rooms were clean.

No fan in the bathroom.

Excellent view of the river from the 16th floor.

Very great location.

The bed was the comfiest bed I have ever slept in.

Room Tip: high floors!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear KFavulous,
Thank you so much for taking the time to let us know how your recent stay with us was. I will look in the parking price discrepancy on Hotwire - that would not be a happy surprise. I am very happy to hear that the rest of your stay went well. Please connect with me at westinedmonton.01079@westin.com if there is anything else I can help you with and thank you again. For a better you. Melissa.
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed July 10, 2014

The Westin is in a good location. The rooms are clean. The beds are comfortable. The fitness facility is good.

After that things go downhill. Carpets are beginning to wear and have marks and stains; wallpaper has tears; paint is chipped; the 1970s electrical doesn't accommodate today's electronics so there are cords everywhere; I could hear my neighbour on the phone; bathroom faucets were loose; my sink tap leaked; my tv didn't work.

Definitely not up to the Westin standard I expected. It's time for some renos.

Dear GVancouver,
Thank you for taking the time to review your Westin Edmonton experience. I am happy to announce that renovations are in progress including hallway refreshing and complete renovations of our wing rooms. In order for us to investigate and address the specific issues you had with your room would you please connect with me by email westinedmonton.01079@westin.com and let me know which room you were staying in? I look forward to hearing from you. For a better you. Melissa.
Montesson, France
Reviewed July 10, 2014

I spend a week in this hotel in Edmonton Down town... ...the receptionist was quite cold at my arrival he spoke so fast that i had to ask him to repeat slowly
rooms are quite expansive there is no button to turn on or off the light you must do it to each light...the mini bar is empty... no laundry service... breakfast buffet at 35$ a joke not even fresh
Well this hotel is to be avoided

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
WestinMelissa, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin Edmonton, responded to this review, July 14, 2014
Dear jpierra,
I am so sorry your experience at the Westin Edmonton was not an exceptional one. Thank you though for reaching out online to let us know your thoughts. Would you be able to also connect with me by email westinedmonton.01079@westin.com so that I might get a better idea of how we could have exceeded your expectations. Feed back is vital to our success. Thank you again. For a better you. Melissa.
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed July 9, 2014

The Westin Edmonton had the hallmarks of a Westin hotel: a comfortable and clean bed that did not trigger my allergies, and inoffensive, contemporary decor. The customer service at the front desk and in the restaurant were also good.

The problems were the location and the extra fees. The City Centre neighbourhood is rather empty at all times. Though there is a large mall a couple of blocks away, once the mall closed, the only nearby retail option is the convenience store in the hotel lobby. The Premium Internet, which cost $10 a night, was unreliable. The parking was $30 a night, which is almost a given expense since it is difficult to navigate Edmonton without a car. The hotel is well priced, which is probably the reason for all the extra charges.

In the hotel room, there was no easy access to electrical outlets for electronic devices. The washroom featured limited toiletry options.

If all you want is a good night's sleep, then this hotel is perfect for you.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear ding88,
I am sorry to hear that your stay here at the Westin Edmonton did not exceed your expectations. The next time you come to Edmonton please connect with me by email westinedmonton.01079@westin.com if I can help you with anything hotel or Edmonton related. I am very glad that you got a good night's sleep and enjoyed our Heavenly Beds. Thank you very much for taking the time to review our hotel and we hope to welcome you back soon. For a better you. Melissa.
Saskatoon, Canada
Reviewed July 9, 2014

This hotel was chosen as the host hotel for a National physique competition. When I made the reservation I was assured there was a fridge in the room and a microwave could be arranged. I phoned again a week before check in to confirm reservation and make sure I had what I needed to keep and prepare food, since my diet is very strict up to competition. I have to have the ability to keep food cold and warm it up. This is crucial. When we checked in we were told there was neither of those items in the room and that the best that could be done was a 'cooler' in the room and they were setting up microwaves in communal rooms for us. I was livid. Had I known this was the case, I could have brought the necessary items with me or been more prepared. Room was average at best. Not what you would expect from a Westin or the price. This place needs a major overhaul. Walls are scuffed. Rooms have outdated decor. I also opted to not pay the CBBF rate and chose what I thought would be a nicer room for the extra cost. It was not what I expected at all. I felt like I was cheated and lied to and I will never stay there again. The staff were great, but the hotel itself was horrible.

Dear k9lover1993,
Thank you so much for your feedback regarding your recent stay at our hotel. I am sorry that we did not have a fridge or microwave available for you and that you felt the hotel was deceitful. Please accept our sincere apology for the inconvenience that we caused you. I will follow up with our reservation team to ensure we correct the information that was provided. Each room has a mini-bar, but it does not cool food. We are continually working on ways that we can better communicate to special groups such as the CBBF regarding specific needs and requests. I am excited to announce that we are starting a much needed refresh of our 72 deluxe wing rooms. To address the valued feedback we have been receiving from guests such as yourself. Thank you again for taking the time to reach out to us on TripAdvisor. Please connect with me by email westinedmonton.01079@westin.com if there is anything else I can do for you. We would really wish to welcome you back and offer you a better experience. I hope your competition went well. For a better you. Melissa.