The Westin Edmonton is an older property where renovations are just beginning, but the staff and management were able to show an excellent commitment to service after a few failures. The later sections highlight what occurred, but it seemed best to highlight why this hotel receives a good rating despite some service failures - something I very rarely see but impresses me a great deal.
Suffice it to say that while this is an older property that is just starting renovation, I would recommend it for its location and responsive staff!
WHAT IS GOOD ABOUT THE WESTIN EDMONTON?
- The beds are VERY comfortable and easy to get a great night sleep!
- The hotel staff are very responsive, particularly the late night and early morning staff.
- Room attendants cleaned the rooms at appropriate times efficiently and unobtrusively.
- The valet deserves special recognition for their responsiveness to have vehicles ready when requested and quickly move them to keep the entry area clear (despite the taxis doing their best to the opposite)
- Hotel management is very responsive to any service issues and will correct what few may occur very quickly and professionally.
- Banquet facilities are first-rate and would be appropriate for any 5-star property with an excellent configuration and staff that are polite, efficient and responsive.
- A location that is very difficult to beat with easy access to many fine restaurants and performing arts facilities, most of which can be accessed through the city tunnel systems from the hotel should the weather be inclement.
- Room safes are spacious and easy to use.
WHAT NEEDS IMPROVEMENT?
- The hotel is an older property in need of renovations, which are now under way.
- The suites have bath tubs only and no separate shower; the tubs are standard tubs rather than larger soaking tubs.
- Furniture and wallpaper appear to have seen too many days.
- The room temperature is difficult make ideal with heavy curtains blocking the main HVAC outlets.
WHAT HAPPENED AT MY STAY: THE SERVICE FAILURES
We checked into the hotel around 6pm on a Saturday and the hotel staff advised they had upgraded my stay from a 1 bedroom suite to a more spacious suite; I had booked the one bedroom based on past experience since they are excellent suites with a spacious bedroom and a nice parlor. The upgrade was to their Royal Suite, which is very spacious and accompanied by an excellent view of the river valley. The upgrade was nice, but the front desk only provided a key to the bedroom and note the parlor; about 15 minutes later housekeeping checked the parlor but did not have a key. We were attending an event so we went to the front desk to try to get the parlor key so we could have a pleasant morning despite different sleep patterns. Unfortunately, when we returned to the room, the key was not correct; fortunately a key for the parlor was under the door so we opened it up and the adjoining doors - only to find it was configured for a meeting with the dining table out of place, stacks of chairs and a white board. This was unacceptable and I called the front desk. The response was quick by the night manager who just arrived at the hotel and came to the room before settling into the hotel, along with one of the security guards. This is when the Westin showed their strength!
The night manager left to see what had happened while the security guard took it upon himself, without any direction or prompting, to correct the room by fixing the dining table, moving out the whiteboard and chairs, the arranging the furniture more suitably. The night manager did an excellent follow-up and contacted the hotel General Manager who phoned me the next at (at an appropriate time of course). Many apologies were offered, along with several gifts which I declined; my feedback was to help the identify the service failures and correct them These were well received as noticed the next afternoon when a tasteful gift and personal note were delivered to the room. This left a lasting impression on me, clearly demonstrating the commitment of this hotel to service and how capable they are of recovering from any service failures.
I would definitely recommend this hotel!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Situated in the heart of downtown, a few steps away from the beautiful North Saskatchewan River Valley Park system. We are within a 10 minute walking distance of the Shaw Conference Center, Roger's Place Arena, and the City Centre Mall. Staying at The Westin Edmonton means you are moments from the best shopping, dining, arts and entertainment Edmonton has to offer. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Priceline, Hotwire, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your The Westin Edmonton reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Westin Edmonton Hotel Edmonton
- Westin Edmonton
- Edmonton Westin
- The Westin Edmonton Alberta