“Older property with a commitment to service”

The Westin Edmonton
Ranked #20 of 93 Hotels in Edmonton
GreenLeadersBronze level
Houston, Texas
“Older property with a commitment to service”
Reviewed June 16, 2014

The Westin Edmonton is an older property where renovations are just beginning, but the staff and management were able to show an excellent commitment to service after a few failures. The later sections highlight what occurred, but it seemed best to highlight why this hotel receives a good rating despite some service failures - something I very rarely see but impresses me a great deal.

Suffice it to say that while this is an older property that is just starting renovation, I would recommend it for its location and responsive staff!

WHAT IS GOOD ABOUT THE WESTIN EDMONTON?
- The beds are VERY comfortable and easy to get a great night sleep!
- The hotel staff are very responsive, particularly the late night and early morning staff.
- Room attendants cleaned the rooms at appropriate times efficiently and unobtrusively.
- The valet deserves special recognition for their responsiveness to have vehicles ready when requested and quickly move them to keep the entry area clear (despite the taxis doing their best to the opposite)
- Hotel management is very responsive to any service issues and will correct what few may occur very quickly and professionally.
- Banquet facilities are first-rate and would be appropriate for any 5-star property with an excellent configuration and staff that are polite, efficient and responsive.
- A location that is very difficult to beat with easy access to many fine restaurants and performing arts facilities, most of which can be accessed through the city tunnel systems from the hotel should the weather be inclement.
- Room safes are spacious and easy to use.

WHAT NEEDS IMPROVEMENT?
- The hotel is an older property in need of renovations, which are now under way.
- The suites have bath tubs only and no separate shower; the tubs are standard tubs rather than larger soaking tubs.
- Furniture and wallpaper appear to have seen too many days.
- The room temperature is difficult make ideal with heavy curtains blocking the main HVAC outlets.

WHAT HAPPENED AT MY STAY: THE SERVICE FAILURES
We checked into the hotel around 6pm on a Saturday and the hotel staff advised they had upgraded my stay from a 1 bedroom suite to a more spacious suite; I had booked the one bedroom based on past experience since they are excellent suites with a spacious bedroom and a nice parlor. The upgrade was to their Royal Suite, which is very spacious and accompanied by an excellent view of the river valley. The upgrade was nice, but the front desk only provided a key to the bedroom and note the parlor; about 15 minutes later housekeeping checked the parlor but did not have a key. We were attending an event so we went to the front desk to try to get the parlor key so we could have a pleasant morning despite different sleep patterns. Unfortunately, when we returned to the room, the key was not correct; fortunately a key for the parlor was under the door so we opened it up and the adjoining doors - only to find it was configured for a meeting with the dining table out of place, stacks of chairs and a white board. This was unacceptable and I called the front desk. The response was quick by the night manager who just arrived at the hotel and came to the room before settling into the hotel, along with one of the security guards. This is when the Westin showed their strength!

The night manager left to see what had happened while the security guard took it upon himself, without any direction or prompting, to correct the room by fixing the dining table, moving out the whiteboard and chairs, the arranging the furniture more suitably. The night manager did an excellent follow-up and contacted the hotel General Manager who phoned me the next at (at an appropriate time of course). Many apologies were offered, along with several gifts which I declined; my feedback was to help the identify the service failures and correct them These were well received as noticed the next afternoon when a tasteful gift and personal note were delivered to the room. This left a lasting impression on me, clearly demonstrating the commitment of this hotel to service and how capable they are of recovering from any service failures.

I would definitely recommend this hotel!

Room Tip: Ask for a higher room with a river valley view if you want a treat from the window! The one-bedroom...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
WestinMelissa, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin Edmonton, responded to this review, June 19, 2014
Dear DerekG-TX,

Wow. Thank you so much for all your feedback and comments. It is input like yours that really allow us to know where our oppertunities and success are. I will be sharing your comments with the leadership here in the hotel, so again thank you. I am glad although there were some upsets in your stay that our staff was able to correct the situation, making your stay memorable. I am also delighted to share that we have some room renovations scheduled to happen soon which will address some of your property comments as well. If there is anything I can do for you during your next stay please connect with me at westinedmonton.01079@westin.com. Thank you again for your loyalty. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Melissa.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (205)
Winnipeg
Reviewed June 16, 2014

Very conveniently locate downtown. Most of the stay was fine, room was adequate, but would have preferred a view of something other than the opposite tower, but did not ask for a change as I did not plan to spend much time in the room. As with most Westin's anything extra is pricy ($14.00 to have a beer delivered to my room - delivery, tip and taxes on the bill) but there are plenty of other choices if you prefer (I was being lazy). The room was spacious for one person (in fact we had cocktails for six in the identical room on a different floor) the bed was comfortable, and the atmosphere peaceful. I was on business and this was where I was booked, but often the price drives me to seek other accommodations. but I am by no means disappointed nor did I expect this to be a "bargain" accommodation as their reputation is well-deserved. If I could change anything it would be to have a fridge that actually worked, as opposed to a cooler (per the label) that did not, if I were going to be there for any length of time and the fact that they are still charging for Wi-Fi when most other chains (high and low) are no longer doing so would have helped to make the pricing a little easier to accept. As mentioned earlier, dining here is not for the faint of heart as far as the pocket book is concerned as $26.00 + tip & taxes for a full hot breakfast, made me look elsewhere for sustenance. It is inconvenient having to use your room key to select your floor everytime you use the elevator, but it does provide extra security. The staff was excellent, very friendly and helpful, as well as quick to respond to any request either face to face or by phone.

Room Tip: ask for a room with a view unless you don't mind looking at the opposite tower. There is a view...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Dear travlinclan,
Thank you for taking the time to write out your comments regarding your recent stay at the Westin Edmonton. I would like to send your comments on to the right departments to look after your fridge, would you mind sending me your room number to me by email westinedmonton.01079@westin.com. Thank you again and if there is anything I can do to make your next stay with us better please connect with me at the above email address. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Melissa
Calgary
Reviewed June 15, 2014

We stayed at this overpriced, small roomed, marginally furnished hotel due to a large event that was hosted at the facility.
Due to a last minute family addition, I called their only supplied phone number to request a slight room change. The barely English speaking person on the other end of the line told me the hotel was fully booked so could not accommodate my request, but she finally gave me the direct line to the hotel. The hotel easily accommodated my request.
After a lengthy check in process (the expected large group was checking in but only one of the four check in stations was in use.) I was directed to the underground parking ($29) which when I drove around to it, was full. Back to the lobby where I was then directed to an open public parking lot. There I was greeted by the scariest looking homeless person I have seen in some time.
The room was small, the supplies were for 1 person (shampoo etc) or two (morning coffee) when we had specifically requested a room for three. The shower was tepid at best, and there was no bathroom fan so everything was damp and odorous.
There was a significant charge for internet!
But the beds were comfortable and the staff was friendly.
Poor value.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Dear Conrad N,
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay. Comments like yours really help us to know where our oppertunities are. I am so sorry your expectations of us were not met. Please connect with me at westinedmonton.01079@westin.com to see if there is anything we can do to make your next stay with us more enjoyable.
Melissa.

Travelers are raving about these Edmonton hotels

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Reviewed June 9, 2014

I stayed at the Westin Edmonton for business for 2 nights recently. I was able to get a high floor with a good view. This Westin property is located in a great location downtown with easy walking access to several downtown restaurants and businesses. It's also very close to the riverfront and the concierge will provide a walking/jogging route for those looking to get some outdoor exercises along the river. Warning for the uninitiated: the steps up/down to the riverfront are killer!

The in-house restaurant was quite good and the breakfast buffet was decent as well. If you're looking to stay central to the downtown business district, this is a great spot.

Room Tip: Choose a high floor with a river view.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Sojoerner
WestinMelissa, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin Edmonton, responded to this review, June 11, 2014
Dear Sojoerner,
Thank you so much for your great comments. I am so glad you enjoyed the location of the hotel as much as I do. The river valley is a wonderful feature of our downtown location, but yes, beware the stairs. We hope to welcome you back again soon.
Melissa
Reviewed June 7, 2014

We were celebrating our anniversary and asked for a room with a king sized bed. When we arrived, they wished us a happy anniversary and were totally surprised with a top floor room with a river valley view!!!! Thank you so much! We would definitely stay again and highly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
WestinMelissa, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin Edmonton, responded to this review, June 10, 2014
Dear Cordelia27,
Thank you so much for taking the time to write out your comments. I am thrilled that we were able to make your stay so special. Happy Anniversary.
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed June 3, 2014

We were looking for a family friendly hotel with an indoor pool. When we checked in, we expected to find a crip for our toddler but instead found she had a rollaway bed. She was happy to have her own mini-bed and it was far more comfortable than any crib. The staff were professional and extraordinarily friendly. They even offered us complimentary fresh fruit or cookies and milk before our daughter's bed time. We all enjoyed our stay here and took advantage of the indoor pool.

We had fantastic views of downtown and found we were just a short walk to a number of restaurants on Jasper Ave, Edmonton City Centre and a large mall. I even snuck away for a couple pints on my own at Craft which is a 30 second walk from the hotel. Would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: I'd definitely recommend upgrading to the king bed, great value.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Dear RobWHughes,
Thank you so much for your comments and the pictures you posted. I am so glad we could make your family stay in our hotel memorable. We hope to welcome you and your family back again soon.
Alberta
Reviewed June 2, 2014

Fantastic service from the valet to the guy in the gift shop! Decided to stay over in Edmonton last minute and struggled to find rooms as there were a lot of sporting provincials going on that weekend. Finally was able to book into the Westin and was very glad that is were I ended up!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Dear sanaly,
Thank you so much for taking the time for comments; we love hearing from our guests. I am also very glad this is where you ended up and hope to welcome you back again soon for another "best sleep ever!"