“No air conditioning not clean”

The Westin Edmonton
Ranked #19 of 93 Hotels in Edmonton
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed June 26, 2013

Stayed for a function being held at the hotel. Upon check in I was told the air conditioner was not working (great!, especially since I am 7.5 months pregnant!). A fan was provided in the room but not sufficient to be comfortable. The housekeeping was terrible, The toilet had a previous guests urine still down the front which made me question the cleanliness of the bathroom(eww!) and the thick cover on the bed had "staining" (eww!) I pretty much threw everything off the bed besides a few pillows, the undersheet was not even a fitted kind and very thin. The room lighting is very dim and made it very hard to "get ready" in the morning with lack of lighting. The bed faced the window and the tv was far off to the side which made it very uncomfortable to watch tv in bed.

1  Thank mercedy
Joumana G, General Manager at The Westin Edmonton, responded to this reviewResponded July 2, 2013

Dear mercedy,

I am disappointed to hear of the challenges you experienced during your stay with us. The repairs to our air conditioning were unexpected and extensive. The repair work is now completed and the air conditioning is working once again.

I am grateful to you for taking the time to detail your concerns and do sincerely hope you will permit us an opportunity to regain your confidence in our services. I would be happy to discuss your recent experience with you personally, especially your challenges with your room. Please feel free to contact me directly at WestinEdmonton.01079@westin.com.

Thank you for your candor and your feedback. We appreciate the opportunity to improve.

Joumana

Reviewed June 26, 2013

Very centrally located, the only positive for this hotel. Though the front of house staff are pleasant. Our executive twin room has nothing more than a standard twin room. The air conditioning has been broken for over a month, yet when you check in they make it sound as though its a recent thing and to compensate they give you free bottles of water. I doubt it will be fixed until they carry out their renovations.
The rooms are dimly lit, the bathroom also, you need to know exactly where you have placed everything before you step into the shower as finding it in the dark isnt easy. The housekeeping service is basic, they do not replenish the complimentary toiletries on a daily basis. Neither do they provide enough tea / coffee / milk for two or to even have more than one a day.
I don't see what exactly is 4* about this hotel. Or why they need to charge for wifi.
Valet parking is extortionate at $30 a day but worth having. I wouldnt stay here again unless theyimproved to provide real 4* value

Room Tip: Only ask for standard rooms unless getting free upgrade as no benefit
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank disappointed190740

Dear dissapointed1907,

Thank you for sharing your comments. I am dissapointed to hear that we did not live up to the expectations you had of our products and services.

I am grateful to you for taking the time to detail your concerns and do sincerely hope you will permit us an opportunity to regain your confidence in our services. I would be happy to discuss your recent experience with you personally. Please feel free to contact me directly at WestinEdmonton.01079@westin.com.

Joumana

Reviewed June 22, 2013

THE BAD
- As others have noted, way back in May, the air conditioning was 'broken', and it remained broken by my end of June visit!?!
- It took three calls to housekeeping to have a request fulfilled - this was frustrating.
- The gym area is very small and was crowded each morning.
- The rooms are very dimly lit and even with every lamp on is still a bit dark feeling.
- The TV's are small at 26" and can be difficult to see from the King bed across the room
- A little pricey for what you are getting, but there don't seem to be any other options in the city that are better

THE GOOD
- The service at the front desk and the bell staff was excellent - truly exceptional.
- The bed!! So nice - white crisp linens and feather pillows.
- Free bottled water in the room, however I thought that was compensation for the broken air conditioning
- Great free Starbucks coffee in the lobby in the morning which switches to infused water and iced tea in the afternoon
- Great proximity to the Shaw Conference Centre and to a mall with some decent stores

Room Tip: Rooms away from the elevator are very quiet but its a long trek.
1  Thank AJCM
Reviewed June 17, 2013

I am here for 2 days on a business trip and I hate it here, this is my second night. The room is 26.5 degrees and when I called shortly after arrival to find out why I was told the air conditioner is broken with no idea when it will be fixed. Upon reviewing trip advisor I find out this has been a problem for over a month. I was not told about this problem on check in. Further, there are other issues. First, the room is set up weirdly with the bed facing the window. This means to watch tv I have to turn my neck to the side. I now have a pain in my neck that hurts. Another issue is trying to get a TV guide. I usually use the Internet, plug in the hotel postal code and name of provider and can locate a TV guide for the hotel i am in. I can't do this here, I can't find a guide that matches what channels are on the tv. When I called the front desk to inquire I was told that they have a new cable provider and they cannot provide any kind of tv listing guide. Terrible. I just can't wait to leave this hotel. I am sweating, grouchy and my neck hurts. Don't stay here.

• Stayed: June 2013
3  Thank barbara m
Reviewed June 12, 2013

One night stay while on business trip. Was well received at registration, room had a great view of river valley and south Edmonton in the distance, excellent room/bed size and features, very restful sleep, checkout was great. Overall a great recommended place to stay.

Reviewed June 8, 2013

I utilized an online web-rate, which was the lesser of the comparable hotels in the area. I was lucky to enjoy the heavenly sleep bed which was amazing. The hotel is centrally located and as expected by the Westin the service was just as I wanted.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank AllaninWanderland
Reviewed June 4, 2013

as others have mentioned, air conditioner was broken for at least a week, with only a continental breakfast offered in return. Even conference rooms were not provided with fans to help cool things down.

I have to say, not the service or quality in general that I expect from a Westin. Convenient location, but amenities were not great, rooms were very basic.

Pros:

Free bottled water in rooms
Post-its instead of note pads in rooms
Free iced tea at table near check in

Cons:

No air conditioning
Scary fridges in room that didn’t keep things cold
Charge for even local phone calls
Water not provided at tables in conference rooms
Hallways look beat up, paint scratched etc
Main number slow to answer calls for room service or wake up
One phone in room didn’t work

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business