“Pretty good”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Winnipeg
“Pretty good”
Reviewed April 19, 2013

Overall the hotel was good, rooms had been renovated but bathrooms are way too dark. TV's are on the side of the bed so that was a bit strange. Room service was fast and good, lounge was so so for service.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Joumana G, General Manager at The Westin Edmonton, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
Dear pace34,

Thank you for your feedback. I am pleased to hear that overall you had an enjoyable experience. The room that you were in is one of only a handful that is configured with the TV to the side of the bed. For future stays we would be delighted to try and accomodate you in one of our other rooms. Please just ask.

I would be interested to hear how your lounge service disappointed you. Please send us an email to WestinEdmonton.01079@westin.com with the details so that we can look into this further.

Joumana

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (205)
Reviewed April 19, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for a week and was quite happy. They moved me to a different room with no problem because I wanted to be near co-workers. The deluxe room on the 6th floor of the newer add-on was great. Very large and comfortable. The bed was heavenly and the shower had good water pressure. The wi-fi was great except you had to pay. Also parking is not free but a premium in most cities in downtown. Overall great stay and I will return for sure. Also I went to the restaurant a few times, great food. Only suggestions I would make is they really need to change the doors to make them more sound proof. As well the doors and door handles of closet and bathrooms are from the 60's. They do not go well with such nice renovated rooms. Also there was rips in my desk chair. Overall I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed April 2013
Missoula, Montana
Reviewed April 19, 2013

This hotel is represented as a four star by a bidding website but its not even close. It is a very average hotel that charges 26 dollars a night for self parking or 30 for valet. They also charge 10 dollars a day for wi fi, which seems outragous when you can get free wi fi at most coffee shops and even fast food restaurants.

Room Tip: We requested a quiet room and they put us on the 19th floor which was fairly quiet.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear montanajosh,

We appreciate your feedback as it is a direct source to vital information which shows us what we are doing right and areas in which improvements are necessary. Your comments are greatly appreciated and we do hope that you will consider The Westin Edmonton on your next visit to the area.

Should you wish to discuss your experience with us further, please connect with us directly at WestinEdmonton.01079@westin.com.

Kelowna, Canada
Reviewed April 17, 2013

I have stayed here every week for months on end and have been subjective to 2 ' upgrades'. The Internet upgrade is now awesome , but it took weeks for me to log in without issues. I have stayed 3 weeks now since the upgrade to digital tv and have not been able to watch fox tv in 3 weeks. I will not be in Edmonton for 3 weeks, but if the issue is not resolved upon my return, I will not return to the westin Edmonton.

This is very sad. I would suggest rolling out new technology to a floor or two at a time, offer upgrades, or freebies, if it gets wrong. I am a PM, I would never roll out something in this haphazard way. I love SPG, not loving Westin Edmonton right now.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Ladymacbeth1962,

Thank you for sharing your comments. I am very pleased to hear that you are happy with the internet upgrade. We have had many positive comments about this and we are glad that it increased your experience.

We did just recently upgrade to HGTV and through the upgrade we found that some, not all of our TVs were not HG compatible. We have ordered replacements that should be here shortly that will remedy this situation.

We look forward to welcoming you back for your next trip.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed April 16, 2013

I've been staying at the Westin Edmonton for 3 or 4 nights a week for 6 weeks now on business. The hotel could be good if the GM and staff cared enough, but it seems that the hotel is often full as it is the only SPG hotel in downtown Edmonton so they don't bother to try.

Here are my observations:
1) Cleanliness of the rooms is poor – un-emptied garbage bins when checking into a room, dirty bathrooms.
2) Toiletries are often missing.
3) Towels frequently have holes in them and are far from the kind of soft and fluffy towels you would expect.
4) The bed does not appear to be a Westin Heavenly bed. The shower is certainly not the double-head shower described on the website.
5) TV reception/picture quality is bad.
6) Internet can be slow.
7) Housekeeping is terrible – it is hard to tell if they’ve been into the room or not – the bed looks like it’s been made by my three year old.
8) Newspapers only get delivered to the room about half the time.
9) The decor and furniture is tired and needs replacing.
10) The food is poor - steaks are always overcooked and the burger is almost inedibly bad. The fish seems ok.
11) Room service is eye-wateringly expensive - about $45 for a dry croissant, juice and a coffee! Even on expenses I can’t justify spending this so go without.
12) They are always out of items shown on the menu (food items, beers and wines).
13) The gym is in poor condition (leaking air conditioner, no TV connection to the screens on the runners).
14) The pool is generally unappealing, the changing rooms are unpleasant and the sauna is cold.
15) Upgrades are never given at Gold, or even now at Platinum level. Supposedly because the hotel is full, although on a number of occasions I’ve checked online and better rooms have been available.

I realize none of these things are terrible in themselves but in a supposedly good hotel it’s the details that count and the Westin Edmonton gets almost all of them wrong. This property should really be a Four Points or at best a Sheraton. Certainly it isn’t up to the standard of any other Westin I’ve stayed in, all of which have been very good and some have been amazing (Westin Palace Madrid as the best example). Now that I’ve qualified for Platinum SPG by staying here I’m going to be moving to an alternative hotel chain next door. This is a shame as I’m a loyal SPG member and usually a vocal supporter of the Starwood chain.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Joumana G, General Manager at The Westin Edmonton, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Dear Alex77_13,

I am saddened to hear that you have encountered so many issues over your last few stays. This is certainly not the standard that we strive for at the Westin Edmonton. I would be delighted to discuss these issues in depth with you so that we can rectify these issues. Please contact me directly at WestinEdmonton.01079@westin.com.

Joumana

Travelers are raving about these Edmonton hotels

Reviewed April 14, 2013

Stayed there last Saturday when visiting friends in Edmonton. Booked online on Saturday afternoon. Was allocated a room on the 19th floor, superb room with two oversize double beds and a well stocked mini bar. Service in the lobby bar was a little slow and there was an impersonal feel about the place. Woke up to a swim and workout and all for the exceptional value price of $99 plus tax.

• Stayed April 2013
southern california
Reviewed April 7, 2013

I stayed here two nights while on business in Edmonton. I had a quiet room on the 6th floor (room 614). The room was very spacious with good amenities including a robe, thick towels, and a strong shower. However i was expecting the classic Westin Heavenly Bed and what I got was an ordinary mattress on the bed, not the Westin mattress. I like those heavenly beds so much that I recently purchased one for my house so I am very familiar with the product. The mattress I slept on was definitely NOT the heavenly bed. It had a rather mundane pillow top and it was OK but not the famous heavenly bed. If you are staying here specifically for the bed then be warned they may not give you the special bed. This was not a huge hardship for me because I chose the property for many reasons not specifically the bed, although a heavenly bed would have been nice.

One Westin amenity I did make use of is the gym clothing. I traveled without gym shoes so I asked if they could loan me some - within half an hour a pair of New Balance shoes and socks were delivered to my room. The shoes were almost new and the socks were brand new and both fit perfectly. I appreciated having those for the workout.

The gym is nice, not huge but decent. Two ellipticals, several treadmills, some free weights, and stacked weights. The gym is next to the pool so it get a bit of humidity from the pool but also has its own AC system.

Service in the lobby restaurant is slow and understaffed (as I found the last time I stayed here) but otherwise the service seems quite good. The bell people are plentiful and helpful.

The place is right next to Ruth Chris steakhouse. We ate there one night with Jon Bon Jovi in a nearby booth. Pretty cool.
My room was paid for by U Alberta so I have no idea whether it was a good value. The internet was included in the room rate.

Room Tip: Perhaps ask them if they have rooms specifically with the Westin Heavenly Bed.
Dear businesstraveller2,

I am so pleased to hear that overall you had an enjoyable stay. All of our beds are The Heavenly Bed product that you have come to enjoy. We are in the process of changing out some of the older matresses and it would seem that your room is one that is on our list. I truly hope that this did not negatively impact your stay. Our associates would be delighted to ensure your comfort during your upcoming stays. Please just ask.

Getting to dine at Ruths Chris with Bon Jovi there also must have made for a memorable stay. It must have been the highlight of your trip.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

For a better you...