“Much needed upkeep”

The Westin Edmonton
Ranked #18 of 93 Hotels in Edmonton
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed March 18, 2013

In checking into a Westin or other premium hotel brand, one comes to expect a certain level of upkeep and quality of rooms and furnishings.

On a recent trip, this hotel failed on all fronts - it is hard to understand how it maintains the Westin/Starwood brand designation.

Worn and unclean carpets, hallway walls that were marked up, worn furniture all led to a much darker and dim picture than what was painted online.

One shouldn't have to check out before actually checking in (yes, it was that bad) and guests shouldn't have to wonder about standards within the Starwood system.

Room Tip: Choose another property.
2  Thank TFKinPS
Joumana G, General Manager at The Westin Edmonton, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2013

Dear TFKinPS,

We appreciate guest feedback and want to thank you for taking the time to share your review with us. I have shared your comments with our Executive Committee so that we can use this information in the planning process of our next renovation. Should time allow, please contact us directly at westinedmonton.01079@westin.com so that we can learn more information regarding your stay. Thank you.

Joumana

Write a ReviewReviews (1,353)

Reviewed March 17, 2013

The place has a great location for anything downtown, especially conventions at the Shaw Conference Centre. If you can get the parking and internet package, it's a pretty good deal, as well. Room had a lot of space, great selection of bathroom items, although the soap gave my skin a temporary rash :-(. I found the room and bathroom to be quite dark, though. I've stayed in this hotel before without feeling that way, but this room seemed darker than usual.

Dear Dahla,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay overall. The lighting in the room you were staying in is being addressed through our energy reduction program. We are changing the lighbulbs in all our rooms to more energy efficient ones that also cast a brighter light.

We look forward to hosting you again soon.

Be Well,

Reviewed March 15, 2013

Had the pleasure of staying at the Westin Edmonton again and truly enjoy the comforts of the Brand. The rooms are a very good size and the bed is very comfortable. What I didn't appreciate was the $35 room service bill for a large pot of coffee and a bowl of granola and the $12.95 per day internet charge -- this when I get free wifi at the airport to write this review! I would recommend this hotel but bring extra cash!

Dear Terry F,

Thank you for your feedback. It is wonderful to hear that you enjoyed your return stay and that overall, your experience was a memorable one.

We have reviewed our menu pricing and will be rolling out a new menu with a new pricing tier that we feel will better meet our guests needs. I look forward to hosting you again and receiveing feedback about these changes.

For a better you...

Reviewed March 10, 2013

While in downtown Edmonton I like to stay at the Westin, the rooms are always clean and comfortable. The people at the front dest are curteous and friendly willing to please unfortunately the follow through is sometimes lacking. I called at the front desk asking for a package that was sent to the hotel and three hours later went to the front desk to inquire what was happening after having called them three times for updates. Person couldn't even see that it was there so took a note and finally had it delivered to my room about 45 minutes later.
On the other hand the service in the restaurants was great, unfortunately I don't remember her name but the hostess in the bar heard me sneeze and immediately brought some tissue which was very appreciated, all in all a good stay except for my package issue.

Room Tip: The tower rooms are more comfortable and a little bigger then the other rooms.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Ashley D, Manager at The Westin Edmonton, responded to this reviewResponded March 21, 2013

We appreciate your feedback as it is a direct source to vital information which shows us what we are doing right and areas in which improvements are necessary. Thank you for sharing your comments for our clean and well-appointed guestrooms. It is a delight to hear that our associates were very friendly and helpful during your stay. We apologize for the experience you encountered with your package and will look into additional training for how our team works with guests on send and receiving packages. Thank you for acknowledging our hardworking associates in our restaurant, I will be sure to share your feedback with them directly. Your comments are greatly appreciated and we do hope that you will consider The Westin Edmonton on your next visit to the area.

Reviewed March 8, 2013

I stayed at the Westin for three nights as part of a large group.

The hotel is conveniently located in downtown Edmonton. Inside, it’s a decent hotel, although feeling a bit old, with some musty smells here and there.

Check-in and check-out, and any other interactions with the front desk staff, get a mixed review. The staff were pleasant and professional, but the front desk seems understaffed. There was almost always a line-up of at least a couple of people, even at slower times; and at peak times, it was a bit of a problem.

The hotel just doesn’t seem to be equipped to handle being at capacity. The elevators were quite slow, and often jam-packed, causing a bit of waiting. Don’t be rushing at the last minute!

The room was fine. Beds, desk, bathroom, shower, TV, closet and drawer space, all OK.

On our last night there we had a banquet dinner for about 130 people. Food was standard but fine; service was good; banquet manager that evening was very helpful.

Having our group members be able to book their rooms online through a custom web link for our group was good. There were a couple of glitches with the billing, including a random charge (one half a night's stay; no reason whatsoever that should have happened) to my credit card a couple of weeks before we arrived (?!), but a phone call to the hotel's accounting department after the stay sorted things out.

Overall, a decent hotel with some weak points.

Reviewed March 6, 2013

Every year or so I end up in Edmonton for work and I mostly stay at the Westin. While the SPG points are not a big draw, having an SPG floor was a nice bonus. I've tried a few others but the Westin is still my preferred stay when I'm downtown in Edmonton - close to river valley, Shaw Conference Centre, Japser Ave, etc.

Reviewed March 2, 2013

I was booked for two stays at this hotel last month (Feb. 2013). My first visit was fine— great service, clean room, everything I needed. However, I noticed that any time I had to spend time in the lobby, whether checking in or waiting to meet a contact, I would start getting a headache, congestion, and scratchy throat.

When I finally figured out (as I was leaving) that it was a perfume pump spraying chemicals into the air, I wrote to the hotel and SPG corporate about my allergic reaction and got an immediate and supportive response. (I have had this problem with one other chain which simply blew me off when I shared my concerns with them). I was concerned that I was coming back to this hotel to speak at another conference and that the fragrance had a pretty strong, negative impact on my voice.

Instead of ignoring my concerns (or worse, giving me some weird enthusiastic pitch about "branding" their smell, as the other chain did), they offered to TURN THE MACHINES OFF for the duration of my stay. Seriously! I even got a personal email from the General Manager, Joumana Ghandour, inquiring if I would need special laundering treatment for the linens and towels in my room. (Not necessary. The lobby was the only place I had this problem.)

And when my taxi dropped me off around midnight on my second arrival to this property, there was no problem greeting me at the lobby door. This also meant that I did not get sick on this trip, did not have a headache and sore throat when I went off to speak, and could even eat in the lobby restaurant, which I did pretty much every morning.

During my stay, I had several people contact me to be sure everything was OK, including random visits from staff who saw me in the lobby or restaurant (and had no idea that I was a "special," high-maintenance guest.)

It gets better! Ms Ghandour was out of town until the morning I was leaving but as I was packing, she called and said she wanted to connect in person before I left. We met after I had checked out and was about to leave for the airport, but first she ran up to her office to get me a special gift, a beautiful souvenir from her trip to Orlando from which she had just returned! Amazing!!!

I can't say enough about the people at this hotel. I've been traveling for decades, some years spending close to 200 nights in hotels. In the thousands of properties at which I've stayed (on 5 continents), I have had some exceptional service. But I can't think of one instance in which the concern for my health, safety, and happiness were expressed by so many people with such respect and warmth. Absolutely awesome! This kind of customer service deserves not only my gratitude, but as much special recognition as I can provide.

1  Thank Jane B