“It was fine, but not stellar”

The Westin Edmonton
Ranked #21 of 93 Hotels in Edmonton
GreenLeadersBronze level
Banff National Park, Canada
“It was fine, but not stellar”
Reviewed November 23, 2012

The location for my business needs was the best part of staying at the Westin. I had a 1/2 block walk to my meetings. For me that was important, but the other aspects of the hotel were not outstanding. I did get a very good deal on the room so was very happy with the value. It's looking a bit worn down - marked up walls in hallways, etc. The room had up-to-date furnishings and was clean and bedding was lovely. Pool area old and small. Restaurant appeared to be overpriced considering very average reviews (on urbanspoon). Decided to go to outside restaurant. I lwould stay again if the price was right.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (204)
Yellowknife, Canada
Reviewed November 16, 2012

I stayed here again (despite my disappointing review from my last stay) because a good friend of mine insisted I give it another chance as it is one of her favourite hotels in the world, and she took it rather personally that I didn't enjoy my stay!

This visit was much better than the last and solely because of the staff. The two front desk staff who I dealt with were friendly and efficient. They gave me a room on the opposite side of the hotel as the front entrance was being dug up and was very noisy, but they had a very positive attitude about it and from my room I didn't hear a thing. Housekeeping staff were quick to respond to my request (I needed more soap).

I had a vehicle and couldn't find anywhere to park nearby so I finally gave up and paid the $25 for hotel parking which seems a bit steep.

I would stay here again, and probably will as I'm in Edmonton fairly often (although when they close the City Centre Airport that will change) and I hope the staff will remain as friendly as they were on this visit.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
LE_Westin-ExecOffice, Executive Assistant at The Westin Edmonton, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
Dear greatslave,

Thank you for giving us a second chance. I am very pleased to hear that this experience was better than your last. Our associates do take pride in taking care of our guests and I am pleased to hear that, even during our driveway construction, they took care of you and made you feel special.
We look forward to hosting you again.

Be well,
Campbell River, Canada
Reviewed November 13, 2012 via mobile

This hotel is very average except for the prices which are out of this world. Front staff are cool. Wait staff in bar are very nice and very slow. Food and beverage prices are unbelievable considering that the food really is mediocre and very little selection. The hotel location is very convenient but one can do better for less.

Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank hutchx
LE_Westin-ExecOffice, Executive Assistant at The Westin Edmonton, responded to this review, November 23, 2012
Dear hutchx,
Thank you for posting your comments. We take all feedback seriously. Your comments will allow us to review our services and work on making improvements.
Please connect with our team at WestinEdmonton.01079@westin.com if you would like to discuss further.
Hartford, Connecticut
Reviewed November 12, 2012

I stayed at the Westin on a recent trip to Edmonton. For what you get it is a bit pricey but acceptable if you are going to be in downtown for a few days. My room was fine, clean and comfortable. The facilities were mixed. The workout facilities were OK if you were the only person there but crowded and limited otherwise, The food was fine but pricey. The breakfast buffet was good but should open earlier. I ate in the bar a few nights, the food was good but with few choices.

Dear CT_Traveler_Sport,
I am pleased to hear that overall you enjoyed your stay. Our culinary team reviews and changes our menu regularly. The team would embrace the challenge of creating new menu items for the next menu refresh and we would love to hear your feedback about these changes during your next stay.
Reviewed November 8, 2012

Rooms, like the entire hotel, are average and spartan. This does not come close to either Westin expectations or the prices charged. This is also another hotel that believes that it can submarine guests with $10.00/day (more if you want something equivalent to what airports and fast food outlets give you for FREE). Parking is $30/ day and the valet service is like the Keystone Cops.
The hotel unfortunately is located in a difficult location to access by car. Because of one way streets and no left hand turn rules getting into the hotel is difficult. Overall this is a nice clean Holiday Inn miss labeled as a Westin. The other issue is that the rooms are noisy from sounds in the hallways and streets. This again is the sign of a budget hotel.

Room Tip: Try another hotel
1 Thank dbowman3
Dear dbowman3,
It is disappointing to hear that you did not enjoy your recent stay with us. To ensure value for price paid, The Westin Edmonton is constantly assessing our competitive pricing for incidentals within 4 diamond city center hotels across Canada. We are also in the planning stages of renovations for our rooms. Any renovation is a big undertaking and will impact our guests. We are working to ensure that this process has the least impact possible to our guests. It is our hope that, once the renovations are complete, our guests will notice a difference in their stays.
Thank you for your feedback.
Toronto
Reviewed November 6, 2012

I am staying at the Westin Edmonton on business. The staff are very friendly and helpful. The hotel is very clean but is in dire need of a makeover. It looks like the hotel has not been updated since the 90's. The carpets are tired, the bathroom is outdated, there are issues with the locks that others I am traveling with have also experienced. In addition to the outdated decor, the lighting is horrible throughout the room. Especially if you are a woman trying to apply makeup properly.

I was expecting much more for a Westin. I have stayed at much nicer Comfort Suites than this hotel and am quite disappointed. If I have business in Edmonton again I look into what other options are available.

1 Thank TOAdventureGirl
Dear TOAdventureGirl,
Thank you for your comments. I am pleased to hear that our associates delivered the experience that the Westin Edmonton is proud of and that they were a highlight for your stay.
Our Engineering team is working toward reducing our energy consumption at the hotel but still making improvements. The lighting that you refer to is part of this project. We are changing out all our lightbulbs in the entire hotel to high efficiency bulbs. This will improve our consumption and offer more light in our guest rooms and common areas. We are also planning renovations to the hotel including guestrooms and common areas such as the carpeting in the halls. Please bear with us as we move from the planning stage to the action stage. We want to ensure that these much needed improvements have the least impact on our guests as possible.
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback.
Ottawa
Reviewed November 6, 2012

Hotel is in a good location, and main lobby/restaurant/bar are very modern and bright. Staff are all excellent.

As noted by many other reviewers, the rooms are in need of a refresh. Carpet frayed, wallpaper peeling, ceilings stained. But, as you can always count on with Westin -> the beds are comfortable, and the showers have lots of water pressure.

If you plan on entertaining for hours at a time in your room, find something fancier. If you're just using your room to sleep/shower - then this place is great.