“Was this really a Westin?”

The Westin Edmonton
Ranked #19 of 93 Hotels in Edmonton
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed October 27, 2012

Frayed and dirty carptet, peeling wallpaper, scratched furniture in room, slow to check you in and slower to check you out, meeting rooms in bad shape. Very bad smell throughout hotel on first day. Bright spot was Laura Carter to assist with meeting room requirements; Laura was helpful and professional every step of the way. It took 4 days to get my folio for expense report purposes; be sure to get a hard copy don't fall for the "we will email it to you": took several calls/emails and utlimately it took a call to Westin main customer service number to finally get a response. Definetly would not stay at this hotel again. Number of recent poor and terrible reviews should give Westin idea of how far from Westin standards this property has strayed.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
LE_Westin-ExecOffice, Executive Assistant at The Westin Edmonton, responded to this reviewResponded November 9, 2012

Dear rdavis 122,

I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your recent experience with us. We are currently setting up plans for renovations. The entire hotel is in need of an upgrade and we are working diligently to complete this task but in such a way that our guests are not impacted by it.

Thanks to your feedback, we are looking into our procedures in the Front Office to ensure that all requests for folios are actioned. This is our standard.

I am pleased to hear that Laura Carter was a bright spot for your event. I know how dedicated she is to her job and to her clients.

We do hope you will give us another try to show you what we are truly made of. If you would like to dicuss your stay further, please connect with us by emailing westinEdmonton.01079@westin.com.

Thank you for your comments.

There are newer reviews for The Westin Edmonton

Reviewed October 26, 2012

Room was spacious and clean. Good size HDTV (with lousy controler system)
Front desk gratiously provided the use of a charger for the Blackberry that I forgot to pack.
Bottled water provided with Bar Fridge.

Matress very comfortable. Pricing excellent when member of Hotel Club...

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 25, 2012

My stay at the Westin Edmonton was for a 3-day business trip in late August, 2012. As a former Edmontonion, I had been quite familiar with the Westin and the neighborhood, but my-oh-my how times have changed. On the downside, there was so much construction work (or labour action) at and around the hotel that it was difficult just to get to the hotel and find the temporary entrance. The good news, obviously there is major upgrading underway and one hopes that the hotel can return to its former glory. The front desk staff were friendly and my room was clean and comfortable, but no where near the what I would expect for the cost. On the second day, I had no hot water and after a number of calls when I had been told that it was being repaired and I would have hot water soon, someone finally came to my room to replace part of the bathroom plumbing and told me that my room was an isolated problem, not a failure of the hotel's plumbing system. At the time of my stay, I never saw more than one or two people in the diningroom, I don't know why.

About the neighborhood, the Westin is very conveniently located, but what has happend to Rice Howard Way? What was once a lively block of restaurants and late night bistro's is now merely a lonely strip of shuttered and decaying buildings. I didn't feel very safe coming back to the hotel alone after dark - not a good thing.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank MagmamanCan
LE_Westin-ExecOffice, Executive Assistant at The Westin Edmonton, responded to this reviewResponded November 23, 2012

Dear MagmamanCan,
Thank you for your loyalty to our hotel. During your stay, we did experience two major challenges. We were undergoing a driveway upgrade that is now complete. This took about 2 months and impacted many of our guests. Our apologies but the work was necessary. We now have an upgraded driveway that, although looks much the same as before, drains water better therefore creating less ice during the winter and the curb has been changed to reduce issues that we had had in the past. Thank you for your patience during this upgrade.
The other issue that impacted the hotel was a Yellow Cab taxi strike. We did everything in our power to minimize our guests’ contact with the picket line, but in the end, it was a lawful strike and out of our control. It made for a very interesting time for our guests and our associates while the strike lasted. This is also done now and things are back to normal.
City council has many plans in place to revitalize the downtown core. Some have already started and others should be rolling out in the near future. It will be exciting to see the changes these plans will create.
We look forward to hosting you again. I would be grateful for your feedback about your next experience.

Reviewed October 22, 2012

Several major problems with this stay
1) room was not as described when I booked it by phone (not least, I booked for three people, and got one king bed in the "luxury" level room, with no folding bed in the sitting area as promised, but a torn chaise lounge instead)
2) the billing: check your bill! For a three night stay, I got a 7 page bill, with two subtotals charged to my card. I was double billed for two of my three nights (room charge and taxes appeared twice each day). When I pointed this out, I was treated as if I were being picky. The charges were not erased, but subtracted again at the end of the reprinted bill without any kind of annotation or explanation, which created a mess with my accounting department. I was told that "the Westin system won't let us correct it."
3) the business centre was closed (and located in a dim, unpopulated basement near a public parkade entrance), with a torn sign saying to ask the front desk to print boarding cards. They tried, but botched it so badly that I was locked out of the airline system and had to check in in person. This also meant that I had to pay $13 a day for wireless (which should be free anyway for the hotel rate, but especially if you have no business centre).
4) the pool was closed. I watched a family with 2 small children being told that "if it's a big problem" they could go in the -5 degree weather the four blocks to a different hotel and use their pool. No advance notice or signage on either the pool or business centre closure.
5) I paid to self park, but during my entire stay, the parkade was full and locked up because, "there's a big banquet tonight" or a wedding or whatever, and the unsecured overflow parking was also full. I was told to park in the public parkade across the street, but that I would not be reimbursed. If you sell the parking space it's sold--don't sell it several times over, since everyone who paid will want to use it at night.

I usually like Westins, but this was beyond the pale.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank 2012conferencetravel

Dear 2012conferencetravel,
I am sorry that your stay was marred by so many challenges. Our team works hard to ensure a seamless experience for our guests and it is disappointing to see that we did not succeed this time. Please accept my sincere apologies.
Our billing system is a challenge for us and we have been working on a new way to ensure bills are clear and concise. Our accounting team would be delighted to connect with you to produce something much simpler for your expense submission.
During your stay, our business center was closed due to some work that we had done to our driveway. The centre is once again open for our guess, allowing them to control their business needs during their stay.
The pool was closed due to unforeseen issues. To ensure the health and safety of our guests, it was necessary to close it until we had addressed the problem. Our team responded quickly to this issue and opened the pool as soon as it was safe once again.
We would welcome the opportunity to discuss your comments with you personally. Please connect with our team at WestinEdmonton.01079@westin.com.

Reviewed October 18, 2012

Very worn down and tired . But so far it is the best hotel I have stayed at in Edmonton. Hotel desperately needs renovating. However staff are very friendly and helpful and the hotel is well situated in the downtown.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business

Dear Denfor17,
Thank you for the compliments. Our associates strive to create memorable guest experiences. We are planning renovations to both our guest rooms and our public spaces. Please check back with us to see the upgrades.

Reviewed October 18, 2012

The Westin in Edmonton is getting older. But,.. location is right downtown, close to the restaurants, shopping.

Rooms are well looked after, comfortable and clean. The staff is very nice and pleasant. I had breakfast twice and both times the service was excellent(thanks Megan). Staff at the door is very friendly and helpful. Thank You!

Reviewed October 18, 2012

I’ve stayed at this hotel many times for Teachers’ Conventions so I am familiar with it. It is close to the Shaw Conference centre, City Hall, live theatre, and downtown shopping. We have stayed at many other Westin hotels over the years and have come to expect the excellent service they normally offer. This Westin has a new modern look which you will notice as soon as you enter the lobby. The hotel was very busy when we arrived, with the beginning of our large conference, and the staff at the front desk were somewhat stressed trying to get everyone into their rooms. We were not reminded about our preferred status or the amenities that come with that. We were not asked if would like help getting our luggage. Our room on the 15th floor had a nice view, but it was as cold as the air outside. Turning on the “heat” only made it colder. A call to the front desk brought us a repairman within 15 minutes, and he tore the heater apart and fixed the problem. Within moments the room warmed up and I was able to finally take off my coat and boots. However, the heat never adjusted itself and it got extremely HOT. Even set down at 18 degrees it still ran flat-out hot. We had to turn it off altogether stopping all air movement in the room. We never did get it fixed, making for a difficult time sleeping. It was always either too cold or unbearably hot. We talked to others who had the same trouble. The room itself is well appointed and fairly large as hotel rooms go. Unfortunately there is no full-length mirror, just a basic bathroom mirror and a mirror over the desk. The desk has been modernized, the top is glass laying over wood, and a perfect place for grunge to become lodged between the wood and the glass. As you work at the desk you get to see that grunge all the time. Obviously some well paid company simply did not think about things like this during the remodelling. The rooms are fairly sound proof unless, like us, you can’t run the heater or A.C. or air exchange (whatever you call it) which normally covers excess noise. Without that you can hear absolutely every noise that a hotel can make, and there are many, especially from the air vents and from the loud television in the next room. The best aspect of the room was the shower, which is a signature item that the Westin hotel line is known for. Another perk of the room is that they have added light filtering blinds, which you can see through but others in high buildings across from you can not. Also added is a truly BLACK blind that makes the room almost light proof. You no longer have to struggle to get the drapes pulled and in the exact place to keep out the morning light. Self parking is $26/day, and basic internet is $10/day or you can get a “deal” by asking for them both in a package for ONLY $30/day. As for the on-site restaurant, called “Share”, the meals are delicious and you are treated like royalty. However, with coffee at $5.50 a cup, you can easily imagine how expensive the meals are. Even the breakfast buffet, held in the open concept lounge, is pricey, and yes -- coffee remains $5.50 a cup. The conference banquet was delicious and extremely well done. My feeling is that this Edmonton Westin hotel believes its proximity to downtown allows it to offer ordinary service for an extraordinary price. If someone else is paying for your stay, you may not mind that.

Room Tip: Try to get a room away from the ice machine which works all night long.