“Nice stay”

The Westin Edmonton
Ranked #20 of 93 Hotels in Edmonton
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed September 17, 2012

I love the Westin but I have to say its the staff that keep me coming back not the hotel itself.

I feel the Westin needs to re-evaluate their pricing. When you can go to Starbucks, Tim Hortons, and even McDonalds and spend $5 and get free Wi-Fi how does the Westin not feel embarassed charging $13 to use the internet.

I also feel $32.50 for valet parking is crazy but I pay since I dont want to deal with the frustration of luggage, rounding up the children and finding a place to park.

I love the Westin and the one in Vancouver is my favorite but I really feel that sometimes you are paying for the name and not getting the value. I now will not stay at this hotel unless I get a great deal when they are having a special because I just cannot justify paying $250 a night plus wi-fi plus parking and Edmonton Westin does not even have a hot tub or a decent gym. (A few tread mills, stepper and free weights is not a gym)

I have paid $250 a night in Vancouver but I had a great room with a balcony.

All in all a nice stay and a quick walk to the river.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for The Westin Edmonton

Reviewed September 13, 2012

My husband and I stayed here during a recent weekend trip to visit family. First impression - I wish we had been advised of the construction on the hotel front entrance! Valet attendants were great, and the construction wasn't disruptive to our stay but a bit of a forewarning would have been nice.

Our room was located on the 10th floor. Upon entrance the first thing we noticed was the dust! It appeared the room had not been cleaned recently. A letter on the desk advising of servicing on August 27th confirmed that - we checked in on September 7th which meant the letter had been sitting there for a week. We then started noticing little things like the bedroom lamps - one was totally askew (does housekeeping not know that lampshades should be straight?), The bathroom door hook fell off entirely as soon as I hung a towel on it and the shower curtain hooks were kind of a mess.

The gym and pool were good. Perfect for a good morning workout and swim. Guest services was attentive when we requested a few extra coffee packages and some cream/sugar. Definitely on the ball. Guest services surpassed my expectations when I realized I had left a piece of jewelry in the room safe. They had it safe and sound and I picked it up on the way to the airport. they also printed out an airport coupon for me.

All in all, we'll for sure stay here again as the overall service was great and the staff and guest services were awesome. the 3 point score is due mostly because of the cleanliness of the room.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
LE_Westin-ExecOffice, Executive Assistant at The Westin Edmonton, responded to this reviewResponded September 20, 2012

Dear Wendy M,

Thank you for your recent review. Our sincere apologies that we did not live up to the expectations you had of our product and services.

I would like to thank you for your patience and understanding about our driveway improvements. Our apologies that this impacted your stay but it is our hope that this transformation will enhance your future stays with us.

I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed our Westin Workout facilities. Our guests have embraced our renovated facilities. I'm also pleased to hear that our Guest Services took good care of you during your stay.

I have shared your comments with our housekeeping team so they can take this opportunity to coach and retrain our associates and so that we can improve our services.

Thank you for taking the time to detail your experience. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again.

For a better you...
Louise

Reviewed September 11, 2012

The best beds and linens these beds are uber comfortable. Room service is super expensive 38 dollars for a sandwich and latte which was half a cup size Parking is 26 dollars per day or 30 Valet. Restaurant is pricy with a limited menu the two meals I had were very nice with excellent service. Breakfast buffet lots of good choices is 26 dollars but 25% off if you are a star alliance member. The location is very central but with the ongoing construction downtown and the revamping of the front lobby it is somewhat difficult to get in and there is no elevator to the front lobby at the moment.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor facing the river valley
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank 10000elle
Reviewed September 10, 2012

Even with the construction in front that makes you use a side entrance, this is a great hotel--I've tried several in Edmonton on my annual business trips here.

Good things:
1. Prompt check in. I arrived late at night after a long flight from Toronto. The person ahead of me was having a complicated problem that was keeping the desk person occupied, so presto, someone appeared from the back room to check me in quickly, which I really appreciated.
2. Super comfortable bed in a clean, modern room. Westin beds are some of the best.
3. Good wi-fi access. Pricey, but the same as comparable hotels.
4. Bar is small but service is great and friendly.
5. Front desk staff are knowledgeable about the area when you ask about restaurant options and the nearest Tim Horton's.

Bad things:
1. Bathroom is too chic and modern. The fancy lighting doesn't illuminate the mirror at all, so I had trouble seeing myself while shaving in the morning and had to shave by the mirror over the desk in my room.
2. Coffee machine water reservoir was full of dust and old grime. Had to clean it out myself to use it. On the plus side, they replenished the coffee and tea supplies that I used while I was gone for the day; lots of places don't. And most places don't have very clean coffee machines for some reason.

Room Tip: Room 1804 is close to the elevator and has a nice view. But it's right across from the ice machi...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 7, 2012

First off, one staff member to check in a long line of people was not the best way to start off my stay after working all day and then driving 4 hours to Edmonton. After more than 20 minutes in line, we had room keys and a parking pass for the Hotel`s expensive underground parkade. WHAT PARKING? we were unable to find a parking spot even though we just paid $26 to park at the hotel!!! I could not walk without medical crutches (recent sport injury) so there was no way I could drive around Downtown Edmonton looking for other parking, so we ended up parking illegally in the parkade driveway and in front of and blocking a pile of heavy construction materials for the lobby that's being redone praying that we wouldn't get a ticket, towed or our car damaged. We didn't talk to the staff about it because seeing as there was one person and another long line, at this point we just wanted to relax in the room.

The rooms are nice, spacious and updated. We had expensive prepared food that we put in the fridge in the room but unfortunately it all spoiled because the fridge wasn't working. The windows were grimy. There was no complimentary city map in the room. Only one of the heavenly shower heads worked and when used, there was concurrently more water pouring out of the bath tap than the shower head.

Morning checkout presented another ridiculously long line to check out and was served yet again by only one staff member at the desk. I really wanted to voice my displeasure about our whole ridiculous and poor experience at the hotel but I really saw no level of care from any staff while there and just wanted to get the hell away from there so we deposited our room keys in the Express Checkout and was thankful to leave!

This hotel puts the Westin chain to shame. I often seek Westins or their sister chain, Sheratons when I travel and have stayed at many but the poor service, expensive parking with non existent parking spots is just not up to respectable Westin standards on any level. The one savior, the heavenly beds and a clean room. Otherwise I would be rating this 1/5 and would have found another hotel to stay at.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jandavie

Dear jandavie,

Thank you for your recent review. We regret to hear that we did not meet the expectations that previous Starwood Hotels have provided. I have shared your comments with our management team and we offer our sincerest apologies. Your feedback provided us with valuable information so that we can improve our services. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again.

For a better you....
Louise

Reviewed September 6, 2012

I stayed at the Westin for a convention in mid-August. I had asked for a room with 2 beds as I was sharing with another delegate arriving later, and we were given a room with one king-size bed and the option for a hide-a-bed and I was told I could move the next day. We elected to stay put rather than move our belongings during the conference.

Finding the hotel entrance with all of the construction going on in downtown Edmonton was awful, and the hotel construction around the lobby made it difficult for anyone with mobility issues to get around, as there were stairs everywhere. However, there was always staff by the entrance to help as needed. To further complicate our stay, the taxi drivers went on strike and spent hours picketing in front of our hotel.

We weren't told by the hotel or the conference organizers that parking would cost $27 per day, or several of us would have left our vehicles at friends' houses for the duration of the convention.

The room was nice enough, loved the twin shower heads. The bed was very comfortable, and amenities were what you expect at a higher end downtown hotel. We thought we would do the environmentally helpful thing by putting out the card that we thought meant we didn't need the sheets changed every day, in exchange for which you get a $5 credit for the restaurant. Turns out, you don't get any housekeeping at all when you do that - for only $5? You can still ask for fresh towels or extra shampoo, but no one sets foot in your room. For $170 a night, I want my bed made, thank you.

Aside from the construction, taxi strike, misunderstanding about housekeeping, and not getting the room we asked for, everything was great. The staff were friendly, the downtown location was ideal, and I'm sure when all the work is done, it will be a superior place to stay.

I rated the hotel as less than excellent only because the temporary stuff made my specific experience somewhat less than excellent. I'm sure that when things are back to normal, this will be one of the best places to stay in downtown Edmotnon.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed August 31, 2012

What I like the most at Westin Edmonton is the continuos efforts towards improvement customer experience. Also, the hotel being positioned in Edmonton's heart downtown, it is a real advantage to have most of business offices at a few minutes walk away. My last stay was very good, enjoying an overall great service and a restfull sleep. I have found the room fresh and cool, very welcoming after a long drive. Keep it up the good work Westin!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business