The Westin Edmonton
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Union Bank Inn(Edmonton)
1,384 results
All reviewsheavenly bedcity hallthe shaw conference centreroom servicecentral locationvalet parkingheart of downtownfront desk staffchecking inbusiness tripspgcitadelgymdoormanconventionparkadelrt
FilterAll languages
Reviewed September 7, 2012

First off, one staff member to check in a long line of people was not the best way to start off my stay after working all day and then driving 4 hours to Edmonton. After more than 20 minutes in line, we had room keys and a parking pass for the Hotel`s expensive underground parkade. WHAT PARKING? we were unable to find a parking spot even though we just paid $26 to park at the hotel!!! I could not walk without medical crutches (recent sport injury) so there was no way I could drive around Downtown Edmonton looking for other parking, so we ended up parking illegally in the parkade driveway and in front of and blocking a pile of heavy construction materials for the lobby that's being redone praying that we wouldn't get a ticket, towed or our car damaged. We didn't talk to the staff about it because seeing as there was one person and another long line, at this point we just wanted to relax in the room.

The rooms are nice, spacious and updated. We had expensive prepared food that we put in the fridge in the room but unfortunately it all spoiled because the fridge wasn't working. The windows were grimy. There was no complimentary city map in the room. Only one of the heavenly shower heads worked and when used, there was concurrently more water pouring out of the bath tap than the shower head.

Morning checkout presented another ridiculously long line to check out and was served yet again by only one staff member at the desk. I really wanted to voice my displeasure about our whole ridiculous and poor experience at the hotel but I really saw no level of care from any staff while there and just wanted to get the hell away from there so we deposited our room keys in the Express Checkout and was thankful to leave!

This hotel puts the Westin chain to shame. I often seek Westins or their sister chain, Sheratons when I travel and have stayed at many but the poor service, expensive parking with non existent parking spots is just not up to respectable Westin standards on any level. The one savior, the heavenly beds and a clean room. Otherwise I would be rating this 1/5 and would have found another hotel to stay at.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jandavie
LE_Westin-ExecOffice, Executive Assistant at The Westin Edmonton, responded to this reviewResponded September 20, 2012

Dear jandavie,

Thank you for your recent review. We regret to hear that we did not meet the expectations that previous Starwood Hotels have provided. I have shared your comments with our management team and we offer our sincerest apologies. Your feedback provided us with valuable information so that we can improve our services. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again.

For a better you....
Louise

Reviewed September 6, 2012

I stayed at the Westin for a convention in mid-August. I had asked for a room with 2 beds as I was sharing with another delegate arriving later, and we were given a room with one king-size bed and the option for a hide-a-bed and I was told I could move the next day. We elected to stay put rather than move our belongings during the conference.

Finding the hotel entrance with all of the construction going on in downtown Edmonton was awful, and the hotel construction around the lobby made it difficult for anyone with mobility issues to get around, as there were stairs everywhere. However, there was always staff by the entrance to help as needed. To further complicate our stay, the taxi drivers went on strike and spent hours picketing in front of our hotel.

We weren't told by the hotel or the conference organizers that parking would cost $27 per day, or several of us would have left our vehicles at friends' houses for the duration of the convention.

The room was nice enough, loved the twin shower heads. The bed was very comfortable, and amenities were what you expect at a higher end downtown hotel. We thought we would do the environmentally helpful thing by putting out the card that we thought meant we didn't need the sheets changed every day, in exchange for which you get a $5 credit for the restaurant. Turns out, you don't get any housekeeping at all when you do that - for only $5? You can still ask for fresh towels or extra shampoo, but no one sets foot in your room. For $170 a night, I want my bed made, thank you.

Aside from the construction, taxi strike, misunderstanding about housekeeping, and not getting the room we asked for, everything was great. The staff were friendly, the downtown location was ideal, and I'm sure when all the work is done, it will be a superior place to stay.

I rated the hotel as less than excellent only because the temporary stuff made my specific experience somewhat less than excellent. I'm sure that when things are back to normal, this will be one of the best places to stay in downtown Edmotnon.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed August 31, 2012

What I like the most at Westin Edmonton is the continuos efforts towards improvement customer experience. Also, the hotel being positioned in Edmonton's heart downtown, it is a real advantage to have most of business offices at a few minutes walk away. My last stay was very good, enjoying an overall great service and a restfull sleep. I have found the room fresh and cool, very welcoming after a long drive. Keep it up the good work Westin!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed August 27, 2012

We got a great rate of $109 per night to stay 2 nights last weekend. In addition to that, we had to pay $30 per night for valet parking - a little steep for a very dead and depressed Edmonton. When we arrived, we were surprised to see that the main front entry way was under renovations so they routed everyone though a side street entrance - not very convenient or nice way to enter such a grand hotel. Staff were unfriendly and actually looked away when walking by. We were amazed that we could walk from our room to the outside, pass 3-4 employees and not one would greet us. The worst person was the first and last person we saw daily - the concierge/bellhop/valet person/doorman named Coinoath. Not too sure why he works in this position as he's unfriendly and unhelpful and borderline rude. When asked where to go for Breakfast, all he could recommend was Ricky's. Luckily we found the Blue Plate Diner which was great. When we went back to the hotel, we told him about this place and that this is where he should recommend. He said he knew it but most people didn't want to walk more than a block (it was 4 blocks and on a cool trendy street). Really Coinoath - we are young and with a dog, do you really think we want to dine at Ricky's or that we couldn't walk a few more blocks. Pathetic service from him and he never acted like he really cared - he didn't even help with lifting bags out of cars or opening doors. He pointed to where I needed to put my bag. Very poor.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
LE_Westin-ExecOffice, Executive Assistant at The Westin Edmonton, responded to this reviewResponded August 30, 2012

Dear Luvs2travel889,

Thank you for your feedback. As a guest at the Westin Edmonton, you have every right to expect the highest level of accommodation and service. I do apologize that this was not the case.

I would like to thank you for your patience and understanding about our driveway improvements. Our apologies that this impacted your stay but it is our hope that this transformation will enhance your future stays with us.

The behavior you describe of our Front Door associate is not reflective of the Westin culture. We have addressed your concerns and have followed up appropriately. We take pride in our hotel, and do our best to prevent problems from recurring.

I am grateful to you for taking the time to detail your concerns and do sincerely hope you will permit us an opportunity to regain your confidence in our services. I would be happy to discuss your recent experience with you personally. Please feel free to contact me directly at WestinEdmonton.01079@westin.com.

Thank you for your candor and your feedback. We appreciate the opportunity to improve.

Be Well
Louise

Reviewed August 16, 2012

Right in the heart of downtown, without the fear of not being able to park. The parkade fills up fast, but weekend street parking is free. If you get stuck, you can pay the extra few dollars and get valet. The hotel is slightly out dated. But not enough to waste and renovate. The staff is so nice and helpful. They talked to the kids, and even sent them up popcorn, juice, and cookies as a treat. Such a nice surprise. We normally stay at hotels in this price range, and the Westin was definatly the best quality.

Room Tip: We had a high floor and had a great veiw of the city, the other windows in the hall, you could see the river.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family