1,450 results
All reviewsheavenly bedcity hallthe shaw conference centreroom servicecentral locationheart of downtownvalet parkingfront desk staffbusiness tripchecking inspggymcitadeldoormanconventionparkadelrt
Reviewed May 14, 2012

We stayed at the Westin for one night. The room was nice but air conditioning did not work the greatest. The room stayed warm even when turned down to 18 degrees. The parking is expensive at 26 dollars a night and this did not get you guaranteed underground parking. There was a wedding and visitors came and were not staying at the hotel,but we're able to take all of the underground parking stalls. These should be saved for the people staying at the hotel. The hotel is situated in a seedy part of the city and when walking around downtown there were a lot of street people very near. The workout area though small is nice and the equipment is nice. I have stayed here before and the restaurant was good, though expensive. The beds were comfortable and the bedding was of nice quality.

2  Thank Wondermouse
Reviewed May 13, 2012

Why should you stay here? Two reasons: location and service.

Having stayed here on many occasions for business and recreation, I keep coming back for the service. On every one of my visits I have found that all their staff try hard to meet any request you make. This property's location is excellent if you are wanting to do some activities downtown, and there are many restaurants and stores within easy walking distance. As this is a downtown property, parking can be a pain, so I always use the valet service here.

There are some excellent views from the upper floors, the rooms are spacious and clean. I have never had a room I disliked, nor have I ever had issues with housekeeping.

The food, overall, is decent. However unless you are limited in your mobility I would venture outside the hotel to one of the local restaurants. Room service is pricey, but when I have used it they have been exceptional - quick service and food still hot.

One reviewer stated that the executive floor has issues with noise. Sorry to disagree, but having stayed here at least 40 times I can state that ALL rooms can have a noise issue. This is normally a real problem for me sleepwise, however two things help at this hotel - the service and the beds. The beds (for me) are super comfortable and if you phone to the desk they will respond to your noise complaint. If you have a noisy neighbour (and let's face it, is this the hotel's fault?) you HAVE to phone to the front desk. If no one complains, the front desk does not know you have an issue. Be polite, but be firm - tell them which neighbour is bothering you and state you cannot sleep. They will begin by phoning the person. If the noise level does not decrease do not give up hope. It is hotel policy to start by phoning someone as they are also a paying guest. If the noise level does not decrease within 10 minutes phone back and advise the staff that the noise is still going on and ask the hotel to please send someone up to address this.

I cannot give this propery a 5 as the food is ok but not amazing, and as it is a little too easy to hear your neighbours if they speak loudly. But the location and always excellent service are 5 star quality. Very important - if you are staying here on a weekend and are looking for a get-away with your significant other, this is one block from the Shaw center and Citadel theater, so you could perhaps catch a show or some entertainment. However, phone the hotel and see if there is a wedding party occurring when you are planning your stay. In my experience, hockey groups and wedding parties have the loudest guests at a hotel. Though I have never seen a hockey group here (with good reason) I have stayed here when there are wedding receptions at the hotel and those have ALWAYS been the noisiest stays with wedding guests coming and going from rooms well into the evening. If there is a wedding reception planned for your stay, see if you can request a floor where no wedding guests are booked, unless you are a sound sleeper.

Room Tip: Don't stay here when there is a wedding reception
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 12, 2012

I stayed here recently with a girlfriend and we ate in the dining room three times. The service was outstanding and the food was good. Check-in was great and they hooked us up with Internet. Our room was clean, but there was only one robe and it was not clean, only one tea bag, only three towels. Three towels do not work for two people. The double beds were not comfortable, the pillows were lumpy, and the bottom sheets seemed too small. I've stayed here many times and in the king rooms the beds are amazing.
The spa in the lower level was quite an experience. Less than two hours for a pedicure and a facial! The pedicure area needs serious up-dating. If the pedicure chairs worked we weren't aware, and the foot rests kept falling down. Polish was left on toes and one of us was nicked. This was my first Aveda facial and it didn't start with removing my makeup! Very little product was used and my skin was painfully dry at the end. Most of the time was spent massaging my arms. I`ll pass on this spa in the future.
The hotel is centrally located close to the library, market, art gallery, shopping, theatres.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
LE_Westin-ExecOffice, Executive Assistant at The Westin Edmonton, responded to this reviewResponded June 6, 2012

Dear Kate M,

Thank you for posting your comments about your recent stay with us. While I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your dining experience, I am disappointed to hear that you experienced challenges with our rooms. Our housekeeping department will address the deficiencies.

I will also pass your comments onto the spa located downstairs. I know they will welcome the feedback.

We would welcome the opportunity to ensure that your next stay with us is the exceptional Westin experience you deserve.

For a better you...
Louise

Reviewed May 11, 2012

Excellent location if attending anything downtown. Walking diatance to great returaunts and the Shaw center. Easy acces to the bus if your want to go to the West Edmonton Mall.

Room Tip: Some room are located directleyacross from the ice machine.
Reviewed May 7, 2012

I booked 25 rooms at this hotel for a mining conference that started this Sunday. I will say that checkin was flawless. Things just have gone downhill from there.

Don't for a moment believe that the 'Executive Floor' with it's supposed extra special anythings is anything average. If that. The 'New Wing' apparently is built with nothing between the walls, or perhaps it's that there's just one layer of drywall and no studs or anything in between. I'm not willing to press on the wall to see what happens. The first night my neighbors had a party that started at 11pm. I called the front desk to ask at what time guests were supposed to quiet down even a little, since these guys and girls were seemingly right in the room with me. They offered to change my room the next afternoon, but didn't do anything about the noise or send anyone up to look into it. The next day I was assured those guests had checked out. Great! My new neighbors got back to their room at about the same time and, well, I can just say that she thinks he's very well endowed and was quite verbal about it and he apparently has great stamina. Or was bored, which I too got with hearing her screaming and moaning. I feel like I know them both so well, I should get their address and at the very least include them on next years Christmas list. I'm quite sure at least one child was conceived that evening, maybe I could send them a shower gift.

Food. First lunch in the dining room was awesome. And I should have stopped there. I ordered the exact same thing the next day and it was something completely different. An avocado dressing had turned into what seemed to be either butter or mayonnaise, I couldn't tell. Different ingredients and soggy and awful. I was told by the front desk "Oh no, you don't need to make reservations for the restaurant! There will be absolutely no problem getting in!". So, an hour later when my party of four tried to get in, they weren't seating anymore. I thought WOW! They're full already? And looked in. The restaurant was half empty. But we could wait two and a half hours, until 8:30, and try again. We stayed in the bar area for quite a while - and the restaurant stayed half empty. I was starting to this this was personal. The waitress suggested Sorrentino's, across the street, which was delightful. I suggest you go straight there rather than hope for consistency at the Westin.

Room Cleaning. Um, yea. They did this the first day. 2nd day I saw the girl in the hall, she said she'd be right in. At 5:00 she still hadn't come in. I called and they sent someone up while I was at dinner that straightened the bed, didn't change anything, and took the dirty towels without replacing them with fresh ones. Lovely. 3rd day I have a couple more towels, but if I want to shower in the morning, I'm going to have to call the front desk for soap. ::sigh::

I travel a lot for work and usually look forward to stays in Westin hotels. I recently stayed at the Westin Charlotte, in North Carolina, and it was everything I've known Westin hotels to be. This however seems more like a lower end Holiday Inn than the high-class, attention to detail, customer focused hotels that I've found Westins to be in the past. I'd wonder if it was a Canadian-laid-back thing, but I've done this show now in Vancouver, Toronto, and Montreal, and never had ANY issues with our hotels like I've had here.

Unfortunately, for anyone attending a convention here, the choices are slim for decent hotels. (I am not staying at the Marriott however if you want to know about their restaurant service and food, I'll be happy to share). I thought I was putting my team up in a place they could relax and feel spoiled in, and instead I have heard complaints and had issues since I got here.

The show we're here attending has pulled out of Edmonton until better accommodations can be found and they can better handle even this small show; I now know why. Starwood can keep their points for this stay, and I am checking out a day early tomorrow morning and going somewhere that values my business a bit more.

Room Tip: I would suggest a room in a different hotel would be a good start.
1  Thank evolistas
LE_Westin-ExecOffice, Executive Assistant at The Westin Edmonton, responded to this reviewResponded June 1, 2012

Dear evolistas,

Thank you for your feedback and taking the time to post your comments. As a guest at The Westin Edmonton, you had every right to expect the highest level of accomodation and service. I do apologize that this was not the case this time. If you would like to discuss your recent experience with us further, please feel free to contact us at westinedmonton.01079@westin.com.

For a better you...