“Overrated and overpriced”

The Westin Edmonton
Ranked #17 of 91 Hotels in Edmonton
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed February 18, 2012

I stayed for two nights at the Westin for a conference. I booked it at the conference "special" rate, which was $209 for a king deluxe room. The check in was quick, but then again, it was a Wednesday night. I was not offered any help to take my luggage up to room; not a big deal since I only had one suitcase. The elevators were very slow. My room was in a separate wing, I guess quieter than the rest of the hotel. Room was quite large, with a king bed, large work desk, chaise lounge, large dresser, small flat screen tv. Bathroom was ordinary and quite small. The first thing I noticed was the frayed edge of the carpet between the bathroom and entryway. Next were the brown stains in the toilet bowl, and the grimy tub. Wasn't sure it had been cleaned, but the toiletries were all new. Bed was nice, with a fluffy duvet and crisp sheets, but nothing was tucked in and it looked rumpled. Again, had the room been properly cleaned? Ordered room service and it took 40 minutes and cost $53 for a chicken panini, fries, a glass of wine and a bowl of "seasonal" berries (mostly blueberries). I had to pay for wireless Internet -$9.95 a day, and the found out it was only good in my room and the main areas of hotel. When I needed Internet at the conference, I had to pay an extra $12.95! Parking was $26 if you parked yourself and $30 for valet. Got the valet since I wasn't going to be driving anywhere. Someone else at the conference said they got a package for $30 which included parking and Internet. This was never offered to me. I took the offer of 500 SPG points in return for no housekeeping, but Then I only had coffee for one morning. My bill for two nights totaled $650! Bottom line is this is an overpriced, overrated hotel that rests on the fact that it is a great downtown location. To compare - I paid $180 a night for the Bellagio in Vegas, which is a 5 star luxury hotel. Come on, Westin, get off your high horse and start charging prices that fit with your a actual status.

• Stayed: February 2012
Write a ReviewReviews (1,324)

Reviewed February 13, 2012

A short story to explain why the Westin Hotel is my first choice in Edmonton. The hotel is the top tier accomodation in Edmonton. Around Jan 25 and I was having a challenge finding a room for myself and a colleague form the Eastern Canada. Called the Westin day of our trip, was put on the wait list and within a couple of hours they called advising that they had two rooms at my companies corporate rate. Was my colleague ever impressed. The front desk staff who found the room plus Starwood Coordinator greeted us at check in and welcomed me back.I received a complimentry brunch at the hotel as well.

Funny the next day my colleague said he will choose the Westin on his next visit, versus his hotel chain!

Room Tip: Platinum Members, majority of the time will be upgarded rooms 41-46 are top level rooms
Reviewed February 12, 2012

This is my absolute favourite hotel in Edmonton, and I can usually find really good rates by booking ahead online! The rooms are all renovated and just awesome, and you have to love the double shower heads! The beds are super comfy too and they have the nice duvets! Also, their breakfast buffet is really good, but quite expensive!

Would reccomend this hotel over and over again~

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 8, 2012

Note: the following review is regarding a meeting room booking at the Westin. I did not have the opportunity to stay is the guestrooms myself, but my clients seemed to be happy with the service, etc.

I had to book a meeting room at the Westin on very short notice. The staff was very helpful (and fast) in coordinating the event, arranging catering, setting up a corporate account etc. The meeting room we booked was clean, well-maintained, and the catering (breakfast) was a big hit! I would highly recommend ordering the blueberry scones with the apple butter for your clients - they flew off the table (very tasty). Our assigned banquet server (Danny) was fantastic, and accommodating, ensuring that we didn't need anything else before he left the room.

It's hard to find a meeting venue in Edmonton that can arrange things so seamlessly. I would highly recommend giving the Westin a try.

Reviewed February 5, 2012

I stayed here for a conference and it was great. The front desk staff were so friendly. The pool is open 24 hours! We had sparkling water and chocolates in our room with a personalized message which was a nice touch. I hate staying downtown because of parking, but i paid for valet so it was much easier. All staff i interacted with were helpful and great. The bed was sooo comfy. Overall, a fantastic stay - i will be back for sure.

• Stayed: February 2012
Reviewed January 30, 2012

The Westin Edmonton absolutely knows what customer service means. I continually travel, and this hotel consistently goes over and above to make each stay great. The staff is wonderful, from the restaurant to the front desk, as well as their Guest Experience Manager, Nella, always goes the extra mile to make each stay enjoyable. Highly recommended and I wouldn't stay anywhere else in Edmonton.

1  Thank bkamph
Reviewed January 30, 2012

Only stayed one night at this property on a business trip on my way to Calgary. It was a nice stay, check-in was quick and efficient. I had breakfast at the restaurant onsite and found it quite average. They charged +$3 for the coffee at the restaurant but the hotel supplies the same starbucks coffee for free right by the elevator/check-in at no charge! Overall it was a good place to stay.

Room Tip: Request a higher floor to get nice views of the city!
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo