“only the best at the Westin Edmonton”

The Westin Edmonton
Ranked #20 of 93 Hotels in Edmonton
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed September 28, 2011

Full disclosure. I spend about 60-70 nights a year at the Westin Edmonton and have for 4 years, so clearly I'm a happy client...or a very easy going one.... I find often good service goes overlooked and only a negative experience merrits any comment or posting on tripadvisor etc...I'm guilty in a sense since this is the first such posting I've ever made and it isn't because of a lack of amazing service being offered to me by the staff at this hotel. This week though deserves extra special mention because of the incredible lengths to which the front office team went to on my behalf. From Nick to Nella to Taylor and Young Woo, each and every one of the client experience team rose to the occasion as I found myself scrambling to prepare for some important meetings upon my arrival. It's not to end the list with these 4 but to begin the list with them and encourage that you opt to stay at the Westin Edmonton for your business travel and add to that list your own set of names, each one representing an amazingly hard-working, detail oriented expert at making your stays comfortable, enjoyable and nothing short of exceptional! Again, this team can't be beat! Brendan Lisk, Regina, SK

3  Thank Brendan L
There are newer reviews for The Westin Edmonton

Reviewed September 28, 2011

Upon reflection together, we thought it about time we wrote a review abour our favourite hotel! We find it hard to stay anywhere else when travelling and stay here together or singularly probably 20 times a year on business and pleasure and have done so for over 25 years. We travel with "Fidget" and this quiet toy black pomeranian loves the attention and pampering which is appreciated with a woof! We love Starwood properties anyway, and always reserve SPG when in other cities. BUT the Westin Edmonton is by far the best! Customer service is beyond and above the call of duty. We have to be careful not to voice "another whim" to Nella Mirante, GEM or to Cody Mattson, GSM because whatever it is, it appears or happens. They truly are the best in the industry anywhere and we travel in North America and the UK a fair bit. Customer service and a "welcome back", whether by Ken and Eric greeting us at the door giving assistance with our car, or Hui and Don as bellmen (thanks for the bananas, newspapers and water), Front Desk staff, Taylor, Christina, Stanley, Paulina or Lisa - those we know best - these are some of the people who "make it happen!" We cannot forget the Chef(s), and Don and Eddie in "Share." Fabulous food and great service - always. We believe this hotel has risen to one of the best in the industry because of the people serving its guests in all departments in the customer service they give with a smile - always. It is a visibly happy staff. In our opinion, the coaching and support from Kathryn MacDonald, General Manager and her staff these last two years has truly made a difference at this downtown property in Edmonton. Congratulations to everyone! And thank you. The W's.

Room Tip: Every room at this property that we have ever stayed in is lovely. Our only issue is other guests...
3  Thank Dr LJ and Colle... W
Reviewed September 26, 2011

We had the pleasure of attending my cousin’s wedding in Edmonton over this past weekend and as the reception was being held in at “The Westin”, it made sense that we would seek accommodation at this facility.

The experience seemed to start off okay. We arrived a bit later Friday evening. Upon pulling up at the hotel, we removed our bags on to a cart. A man pulled up behind us and stepped out of vehicle stating. I paid 26 dollars to “park yourself” and there isn’t a single parking space to be had at either of the locations you mentioned. He was told by the valet “It’s first come, first serve sir – if you pay the extra 4 dollars, it’s our problem”. REALLY? At this hour it only makes sense to get Valet Parking so it becomes their problem and not ours.

Me to the Valet: How much to park? (to verify) $30 dollars sir.. Me: per night? For the duration of your stay sir.

Sounds good to me. I proceeded to hand him my keys and check in – that part went quite smoothly. We checked in to the room and went to bed.

The next morning after getting up – I went into the washroom and noted it smelled “musty”. I went to shower. Please review the attached pictures. Seriously? Mould in the shower on the edge of the tub, shower curtain and along the base boards by the door!

Clearly the cleaning staff here leave a lot to be desired.

We stayed two nights (I didn’t not shower the 2nd day and instead opted for showering upon my return home), and we received the bill slipped under our door. As I’m sure many travelers have become accustomed to this practice, for those uninitiated, this is meant to help speed up your check out. If you agree to the invoice – you can slip your room cards in to the box in the lobby as you leave.

I always read my invoices and noticed that our bill was substantially higher than I had anticipated. There was a 120 dollar charge – closer inspection revealed 4 separate 30 dollar parking charges.

I went to the front desk where I was greeted by a somewhat “indifferent” clerk. I explained – I’ve been here for two nights, there appears to be 4 separate 30 dollar parking charges on my invoice. I was told by your valet that parking was “$30.00 dollars for the duration of my stay.” I was then told – what was the name of your valet sir? Me: I didn’t ask…. He was dressed in a valet uniform and was one of two working here last night. The Tall one. Sorry sir, unless you get his name… WHAT?

So I asked again – what does $30 dollars for the DURATION of your stay mean to you. He actually said – Per night sir. As if I was lying. Let’s be straight – 30 dollars for parking a night is NOT considered standard in the city – and self park for 26 dollars a night is not standard in the city. I don’t mind paying for anything if I’m told up front and agree to it. That way there are no surprises. I wouldn’t have voiced my concern HAD I KNOWN. But as it stood, I was told one thing and then was billed for another. And OVER BILLED AT THAT!

One more thing they don’t do – check the invoices before they put the bill under the door. How does one accidentally bill for 4 nights Valet parking on a 2 night stay? What about the poor people who don’t check their invoices carefully and just leave the hotel?

He did however remove the two over charges, and acted as though he was doing me a favour by doing it. Amazing.

Alright – lesson learned. When staying at the Westin in Edmonton, make sure you write down the name of every person you talk to – and then expect one thing to mean another.

I honestly had heard from a co-worker who stayed there recently that her bathroom was disgusting – and I didn’t believe it because I had stayed there before for work and the place was fantastic. Clearly their standards have dropped.

I will not stay at The Westin again – for any reason. I will take my month long business stays down the street. The old saying “Lipstick on a Pig” applies here. At first glance all looks quite nice, but when you really look closely – you can see a worn and sub par facility.

There are better to be had in this city – which also include Free Parking and Free Internet. The Westin is happy to charge you 12.00 dollars per night for their internet. My business stay cost me 60 dollars for internet.

But hey – this is “The Westin” – one of Edmonton’s finest right? If they claim this – they should live up to it – from the miss-information from the valet – the disgusting room and the indifference from the desk clerk – I can say this is the worst stay in Edmonton I’ve had to date and will never return to this facility. Don’t believe me though – I do recommend you stay yourself and pay close attention…..

Room Tip: Select a different hotel
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank chemicle
Reviewed September 24, 2011

I was in Edmonton last week for a conference and stayed at this hotel. The room was very spacious, super clean and set up very nicely. The bed was simply the best I have had in a hotel stay. Super quiet inside as well.

The gym was under repair it was not perfect, in fact a little small but it did the trick. The pool area was very nice and the lobby was as well.

This hotel was recommended to me by someone who worked there (Joe in Finance) and I was very happy I did pick it.

The rating of 4 out of 5 was due to the gym condition. Otherwise, 5 out of 5.

1  Thank flyersfan16
Reviewed September 23, 2011

Our room was very large. It was a night we were driving through Edmonton on our way home. Close to downtown attractions and restaurants.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 23, 2011

While I have lost my Gold SPG status, they still gave us a high floor room on the SPG level so we had very nice views. The rooms were good sized and of course, who can complain about the heavenly bed! The hotel is pretty central near the Churchill Square and the subway.

The workout room was decent and they had a nice indoor pool.

Since our departing flight was relatively early on Sunday, we also had breakfast at the hotel. The food was good and only a little more expensive than the local breakfast places around the hotel. We were there over the holiday weekend and got a really good rate to boot!

The nice thing about the Westin is that they have gotten really good at being consistent no matter where you go!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DAL504
Reviewed September 22, 2011

we only stay at the westin Edmonton when we are in town. I am very picky about hotels and the westin has and is always friendly and comfortable. It is classy without being snooty. They go out of their way to make youfeel comfortable and valued. We have kids and so the Westin kids club is fantastic!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family