“October 14/13 wedding”
Review of Union Bank Inn

Union Bank Inn
Ranked #28 of 93 Hotels in Edmonton
Reviewed October 29, 2013

Hats off to all the banquet staff at the Union Bank Inn! Our small Thanksgiving ceremony and brunch reception was beautiful. All my guests were so impressed with the food, service, and how beautiful the room was. The banquet staff made everyone feel special.

Received a discount for staying at the hotel night before and night of the wedding. Room was beautiful.

Jasper Ave and hotel park construction was a bit disappointing but out of hotel's control.

Would recommend the Union Bank Inn to anyone looking for a classy wedding venue. All worth the money.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank M B
There are newer reviews for Union Bank Inn

Reviewed September 13, 2013

I can not believe anyone could give the hotel a negative review.
all staff were exceptional, they were always talking to use they made us feel right at home. the restaurant was great. the heritage rooms are small but very cozy.
We will defiantly go back. its in a great location.
I have two complaints. its very hard to get to especially with construction. parking is more expensive than quoted $30 and its just an open city parking lot no security, this I was not impressed with.

Room Tip: if you want bigger room go with the contemporary rooms.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 9, 2013

Loved the proximity to the beautiful trails on the river's edge, at the same time as three short blocks to great shopping, and lots of interesting restaurants.

There was two weddings taking place the weekend I was there, staying on the 4th floor I did not hear a peep. Was able to sleep in a bit, which is normally impossible for me in hotel rooms.

Tired of repeat big box hotels? Enjoy a first class experience at a middle class price in the heart of Edmonton!

Room Tip: Stay on 4th or 5th floor.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank John G
Reviewed August 30, 2013

My hubby and I stayed here a night for a friend's wedding taking place there. Wedding was lovely but our stay was something else...
When we first arrived, parking was terrible and we were greeted by workers smoking in the parking lot. Gross. Then we were told that we didn't get the wedding discount because we booked through Expedia. I suggested that to make up, they give us free parking ($20/night!), which I was refused. Then we went up to the from which looked nice enough, but when I went to take a bath, I noticed a ring of soap scum all around. Gross!!! So I called up the maid and showed her and she looked totally clueless and then did a little wipe down and thought that was ok. I showed her with my finger all the dirt still there but then got frustrated and just said forget it. I complained to the front desk and all they did was offer another room, which I didn't have time to do anymore. They didn't give us any discount or anything. NEVER STAYING THERE AGAIN! Westin hotel never disappoints.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Redhotbohemian
UBI-Management, Director of Sales at Union Bank Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 3, 2013

Dear Redhotbohemian,

Thank you for your review I am happy to hear you had a lovely experience at the wedding you attended here at Union Bank Inn. However I am disappointed to hear that the room quality was not up to ours or your expectation. Please rest assured that I have addresses this with our team to avoid such concerns in the future. This is certainly not up to our standard and your comments have been taken very seriously. We would be pleased to discussed this with you in person and invite you to contact me personally at sales (at) unionbankinn.com. Thank you again for bringing these concerns to our attention and I look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed August 26, 2013 via mobile

Couple of suggestions if staying over a weekend:

1. Check if there are weddings happening at the hotel, if so do not stay in the contemporary wing on the third floor (directly above the ball room)

2. If you are booked on third floor then request the heritage wing.

We ended up not staying the night though the management was very accommodating in trying to find a better room in an otherwise sold out hotel.

The service is great, but I would have liked to see better beds for the price (again, we didn't spend the night so I can only comment from sitting on the bed).

None related: if visiting Edmonton for pleasure please note that it seems like the entire core is under construction. Mainly the tourist attractions. Check before heading out that what you plan on visiting isn't scaffolded.

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank Anna F
UBI-Management, Director of Sales at Union Bank Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2013

Dear Anna F,

Thank you for your review as we do consider all feedback very helpful! I am happy to hear our management team was accommodating to your concerns and did all they could on a very busy evening. The downtown core is currently under construction but we are happy to announce that the completion is expected to be hopefully November which will make our property much more accessible as well as other areas around downtown. Adjustments always come along with revitalization and we are very optimistic as to what a great update this will bring to our neighborhood. I would be pleased to discussed this with you in person and invite you to contact me personally at sales (at) unionbankinn.com. Thank you again for bringing these concerns to our attention and I look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed August 24, 2013

This is a wonderful hotel with good service and amenities (including in room fireplaces) located near the business district and public transit. The only down side - the rooms above the banquet hall are very noisy when there is an event going on. I recommend avoiding the 3rd floor rooms in the contemporary wing above the banquet hall if at all possible. I changed rooms to the heritage side which was much quieter.

Room Tip: Choose rooms that are not above the banquet hall
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank cblackst

Dear cblackst,

Thank you for your review and I am pleased to receive your great feedback on our service and amenities here at Union Bank Inn. I agree the fireplaces are a great unique feature that all of our guestrooms do boast. However I do want to apologize for the noise you experienced and we will take precautions moving forward when assigning guestrooms. Please rest assured that I have addresses this with our team to avoid such concerns in the future. We would be pleased to discussed this with you in person and invite you to contact me personally at sales (at) unionbankinn.com. Thank you again for bringing these concerns to our attention and I look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed August 13, 2013

I live in Edmonton, and have been curious to stay at this hotel for years. I heard that the rooms are very neat and differ - so it's like staying somewhere new every time. So, I decided we would stay there for my husbands birthday.

The check-in process was great. Very polite. We went to the restaurant (Madisons Grill) for dinner and breakfast - both the food and service was fantastic. The room we had was small. My bedroom at home was bigger. I don't think a king size bed would have fit in the room. It was cozy though - with a gas fireplace. The TV seemed in an odd spot, but it was fine for as little as we watched.

Then, it came to check out time. There was an issue with our bill that the fellow couldn't explain. His computer said we owed a different amount (about $150 higher) than we did. He couldn't get it to print it correctly. So, instead of dealing with the issue and providing us with our total, he asked us if we could come back and check out later. When we said no, he said that he would sort it out and send us an invoice - of course, our credit card would be charged that amount and if we didn't like the invoice, we could come back and chat to someone. I found that to be pretty pathetic service for a higher end hotel. He should have simply determined what our bill should have been using an old fashioned calculator, we could have agreed to that amount and then he could have sent us an official invoice in the mail once he made it work correctly on his computer. But, to leave, without an understanding of our bill was not a very good ending to our stay. And, to be asked to come back later to resolve it was even less acceptable.

We did receive the invoice - it was higher then we expected (by about $20), but at that point I was done with it. There was no apology note in the invoice for the inconvenience - just an invoice. It left a bitter taste in my mouth - regardless of the character of the hotel - I would not stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank gotta_travel40

Dear gotta_travel40,

I am happy to hear you chose Union Bank Inn to celebrate your husband’s birthday at. Madison’s Grill does provide exceptional food and service so I am pleased that both your dinner and breakfast were quite enjoyable. My sincere apologies that you had such complications with the check out procedure and your final invoice being incorrect. This is certainly not up to our standard and your comments have been taken very seriously. We would be pleased to discussed this with you in person and invite you to contact me personally at sales (at) unionbankinn.com. Thank you again for bringing these concerns to our attention and I look forward to hearing from you.