“Beautiful historic hotel”

Ranked #25 of 93 Hotels in Edmonton
Edmonton, Canada
“Beautiful historic hotel”
Reviewed August 8, 2013 via mobile

We stayed a night here because we attended a wedding in the ballroom, the hotel staff are very polite, helpful, well trained & professional. The entire facility is Immaculately clean. Our only complaint was being charged $2 each for additional coffee for our room coffee maker, this seems very petty, we each like 2 cups in the morning and we've never been charged extra in any other hotel we've ever stayed at, ever. Also there is an extra fee for parking :(

• Stayed August 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Budapest, Hungary
Reviewed August 3, 2013

This quaint hotel features the best staff I have experienced in a long while. They greet you by name and are exceptional in every way. Although now the hotel is in the middle of the construction zone in the center city, with subway repair and making Jasper Avenue more pedestrian friendly (thankfully for them that will wrap up in October), I found the hotel along with the accompanying restaurant (Madison Grille) to be a delight.

The front desk staff was warm and friendly, each day addressing me by name. They were helpful in recommending places to walk, dine and shop.

My room was well appointed and the afternoon wine and cheese, delivered to my door, was also something I enjoyed. Breakfast at Madison Grille was the best I have had in quite a while, and my server, Jose, was amazing. I was met each morning by name and with a smile.

I will definitely stay at the Union Bank Inn the next time I am in Edmonton.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank David C
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed July 21, 2013

Union Bank Inn is a centrally located out inure hotel in Edmonton. I enjoy staying here as the staff are very friendly & welcoming. There is a wonderful breakfast included in the room rate, ordered a la carte. Each evening you have a choice of complimentary water or wine with a cheese plate.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Marlene H
Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
Reviewed June 24, 2013

To Union Bank Inn Management,

This was my third stay at your establishment and I must say the service your employees offers is by far the best I’ve seen in the business. I do a lot of travelling throughout Canada and I’m always happy to see the friendliness and smiles from hotel employees. However, for some reason, the service at Union Bank Inn is always above anywhere else. Before working for the Federal Government I had a long career (18 years) in management within the hotel and restaurant industry. I’ve seen poor service, good service, terrific service and in a league of their own “Union Bank Inn” service. Having said that, there are 2 of your staff I would like to personally thank:

To Patrick Best:

I can tell that you have a special place in your heart for serving people and it shows in the way you treat them, look at them with kindness and how you anticipate their needs and wants. It’s a real art to serve people the way you do. So I would say you are the “Rembrandt” of front desk service 

To Geeta:

I’m going to let you in on a little secret. I never have breakfast when I travel, or even when I’m home (unless it’s the weekend). But the reason I decided to try out your restaurant for the first time (almost 3 years ago) is because I was drawn by your friendly smile. The extra attention you give your customers should be captured on video/CD and shown to everyone interested in seeing how “It’s should to be done”. Your calm nature is something I envy and hope to achieve one day LOL!

Patrick and Geeta – thank you very much for making me feel like I belong with you and making me feel so welcomed at Union Bank Inn. I will not stay anywhere else when visiting your beautiful city. And management has both of you to thank for that!

Patrick Pelletier

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank 280PPelletier
Sherwood Park, Canada
Reviewed June 15, 2013

Stayed one night at Inn after an event at the Shaw Conference Centre. Great location, easy 5 minute walk from the Shaw. Bend over backward service at front desk, then up to our small, but very comfortable room and find a nice wine and cheese plate awaiting us. Price included full a la carte breakfast. We would go "back in a heartbeat"

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Derek P
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Reviewed June 5, 2013

We just celebrated a good friend's wedding at the Union Bank Inn and spent the night afterwards. The hospitality at the front desk was excellent and we had a beautiful room in the Heritage Wing. My wife loved the way the room was decorated and the cheese plate was a welcoming touch.

The wait staff at the wedding were friendly and Ken the bartender upgraded my paralyzer order to a Root Beer paralyzer - a new favourite and highly recommended.

We had breakfast at Madison's the next morning and the Egg's Benedict were as delicious as promised.

Great boutique hotel and all the value for the money.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Ryan A
Burlingame, California
Reviewed May 13, 2013

Some historic hotels have that grandmotherly, tchotchke filled, antiquated ambiance - not this one. Union Bank Inn manages to bring you back in time with tastefully appointed, elegant, regal, upscale decor without stuffiness/pretense thanks to good old fashioned personable, attentive and very competent front desk staff. MANY THANKS to Joseph, Patrick (and Alexa) who likely needed a drink after I departed - day/night shift managed to answer my interrogation of questions and fulfill multiple, sometimes challenging requests, always with a smile. I viewed (3) different rooms on Heritage wing, all equally beautiful - each one unique. Also viewed the Contemporary wing, best described as maintaining historical feel, toned down from Heritage Wing with understated elegance. I (single person/personal travel) chose Heritage wing but either wing would be appropriate for business or pleasure depending on your preference. All rooms have luxury linens, fireplace, flat screen TV, desk, amenities. The full a la carte complimentary breakfast and evening delivery of (small) cheese/cracker/wine was an added bonus. Restaurant is beautiful, gourmet level menu. Hotel feautures small Business Center (one-person office) on 3rd Floor, single computer w/fast speed Internet access, printer, small table, phone for local outgoing calls. The downtown location was ideal, rail and bus stations are literally out the front door, did not need to rent a car for duration of stay. Purpose of travel was to attend concert at Rexall Stadium, a mere 2 rail stops away from hotel, VERY convenient for late night return. For high end Edmonton hotel options, I would rank Union Bank Inn 2nd next to Fairmont McDonald (within easy walking distance to each other) however I would favor intimate, boutique style Union Bank Inn. After in person touring (6) hotels in downtown Edmonton prior to selecting, no regrets with choosing Union Bank Inn. If there is a next trip to Edmonton, no question will stay here again.

Room Tip: As a single traveler, the size of Premier room was adequate (although admittedly very small), recomm...