WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Union Bank Inn

Union Bank Inn
Ranked #28 of 95 Hotels in Edmonton
Edmonton, Canada
“Good choice in central Edmonton”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2013

The Union Bank Inn has a fabulous location, although the rooms do not generally have notable views. Very helpful desk and cleaning staff. Good restaurant, but service can be eccentric. Rooms are well appointed and plenty big enough.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank wsw23

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2013

Stayed here last summer with my husband. Actually used a Groupon to do so, for the second time in prob 18 mos or so. We live here in the city. We had such a great time the first stay we thought "Heck yes!" for a second stay.

Beds = comfortable. Yes really! Lovely plush comforters. Linens are higher-end as well. There's a fireplace in the rooms. We've stayed in the heritage wing ("classic decor") and in the executive ("modern decor") and both are equally well-equipped.

UNFORTUNATELY I would not recommend Madison's for anything but an included breakfast as the prices sadly don't justify the meals in both portion and taste. There are ten trillion other restaurants within walking distance of Union Bank that are much better!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Yasdnilelis
Lloydminster, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

I expected much more from this hotel based on the pictures on the website. It is very basic stuff. I liked the location and I enjoyed the gas fireplace. The front end staff very nice and the wine and cheese/grapes that were waiting for us when we checked in was a really nice surprise... But the room was very plain, the bedding and bed very used (needs to be updated badly), the description says "down bedding" but it is so thin it couldn't really be considered "down bedding" I think most of the warmth came from the duvet cover. The bed also was old and needed to be replaced. Also for the price I expect the towels to be a little more luxurious, the bath towel was very small and rough.... I don't think I will spend the money to stay here again.

Room Tip: I would ask about the bedding/beds...... the pictures on the website must be their best rooms as our...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Lareese G
Lethbridge, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

Stayed Jan 30 and 31st. The front desk staff was super friendly!
Myself and a collegue stayed here and dined at the Madison Grill attached to the Hotel: breakfasts were included (fantastic- with great options). Top class! We were in a rush to leave our last morning and a waitress packed us a quick breakfast to go- how sweet.

The rooms were very comfortable. They left a snack for us everyday: wine, cheese, grapes and saltines in our room- what a great touch! Looking foward to coming back here for future trips. In the past I was always so hesitant to stay here, as I typically choose the Holiday Inn, Matrix, Westin, etc. But my trip was so memorable I would not hesitate to go back!

It is one of the one of those places you want to take special people for a memorable experience!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank sunnyday_traveler
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2013

Although i didn't stay the night at the hotel, the staff were incredibly helpful while I was there getting ready for my friend's wedding. We discovered at the last minute that our shawls were a little bit on the larger side and we needed a quick fix. After trying a few things, we figured out that sewing was our only option.
The manager and the front desk staff member pulled out a sewing kit and took over the sewing duties (they were much better than us). It truly saved the day for us bridesmaids!

Thank you Union Bank staff members for your extra help on that day!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Brittany143
Morgantown, West Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2013

It started well. A friendly and cheerful receptionist at check-in even late at night. The staff worked hard to accommodate me since my luggage was lost for 3 days. The wine and cheese plate made the end of my work day so much more cheerful! Unfortunately, the whole experience was sullied, by check-out. I had an early morning flight which I had informed them of a few days prior. At 4am when I went down to check-out, the front desk clerk swiped my card a few times and started frantically pressing buttons and calling phone numbers. I asked what was going on, but he just shrugged and whispered in to the phone. 30 minutes later, I demanded that he return my card so I could leave without missing my flight. He said it was impossible. I almost left my card there just so I wouldn't be stuck in Edmonton for another day because of his incompetence, but eventually, I pried it out of his hands. I'm still not sure what the issue was. I think a broken credit card machine. I certainly understand these types of issues happen, but don't ruin my trip because your equipment doesn't work. They already had a pre-authorization. It was obvious I was there on business. I just wanted to make my flight - not skip out on a bill. Please learn to put customers first!

Room Tip: I chose a heritage room and was very happy with the unique character of the room and the fireplace!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank crazymugal
UBI-Management, Manager at Union Bank Inn, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Dear Crazymugal,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback! We are so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your check in experience and the service you received prior to check out. I am however very disappointed to hear about your experience at check out and would like to extend our utmost apologies for this incident. This is truly not up to our standards and I would like to assure you we will find out what occurred here and make sure this does not happen again.

Thank you again for expressing your comments and we sincerely hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future to have you experience exceptional service for the entirety of your stay.

Yours in hospitality,
UBI Customer Service Team
Calgary
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2013

Had a one night stay booked by organisation I was meeting with. Very convenient location for the offices I tend to visit for meetings downtown. Attentive, helpful friendly desk person Joseph helped me to find the mysterious access to the parking lot for the first time. jasper Avenue was dug up and access is from laneway between Telus Plaza parking entrance and McEwan /Alberta College I was there right at check in time and managed a parking spot outdoors but well lit and CCTV'd. Joseph checked me in, met and greeted by Geeta the Maitre'd as I went to the elevator. The heritage wing Sheffield room is of European size but very comfortable and well equipped. Quiet room. Opening windows are a god idea for summer. Thermostat worked well. Tub shower was one of those fibreglass all in one combos. Fairly standard bath amenities, safe, ironing board, iron, Shower was fine, I am used to ducking in most hotel showers at 6'6' lots of hot water. Towels and washcloths were nice and thick, one larger bath sheet towel would be a welcome addition. The fleecey bathrobe fit nicely this linebacker sized frame; which I must say is a first for me in any hotel in the world. Bed comfortable, pillow selection limited to two quite standard pillows with a plethora of uber frou frou decorated pillows. Would prefer a duvet and a bigger top sheet over the brocaded tapestry bed cover thingie. Light box for TV on left and big screen alarm clock ipod dock cast an inescapable distracting blue glow and both had to be covered with magazines to avoid it. Curtains are heavy lined and would have nicely blacked out the room save the blue glow above. Dinner service was friendly and prompt. Beet root salad w/Stilton was nice. Nice dining room contempo-retro in the main former banking room. Arctic Char entree was very nicely done. fresh and well presented. Not a cheap menu by any means. With two glasses of tasty house Malbec at 14 bucks per I thought I was in Norway for a minute. add a good tip and we arrive at 100 bucks for one person. Which means the daily food budget as set out for in expenses was exceeded by a good 40%. For 14 bucks a glass we need "the farmer pour." Keurig did not want to stay lit so went down at 0700 for brekky but Saturday they open at 0800 mentioned Keurig failure they Janna made a note and the security women said we organize a big coffee to last you until 0800. A la Carte brekky is complementary and very good menu it is; accompanied by smiles and happy service a lovely omelette, real pan fries, artisanal toast, jams, a pot of coffee and a big tumbler of orange juice. I will go back, all in still less than the Mac or Westin.

Room Tip: Sheffield on third floor was nice.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business