“Could have been great...”
Review of Union Bank Inn

Union Bank Inn
Ranked #28 of 91 Hotels in Edmonton
Reviewed February 11, 2013

It started well. A friendly and cheerful receptionist at check-in even late at night. The staff worked hard to accommodate me since my luggage was lost for 3 days. The wine and cheese plate made the end of my work day so much more cheerful! Unfortunately, the whole experience was sullied, by check-out. I had an early morning flight which I had informed them of a few days prior. At 4am when I went down to check-out, the front desk clerk swiped my card a few times and started frantically pressing buttons and calling phone numbers. I asked what was going on, but he just shrugged and whispered in to the phone. 30 minutes later, I demanded that he return my card so I could leave without missing my flight. He said it was impossible. I almost left my card there just so I wouldn't be stuck in Edmonton for another day because of his incompetence, but eventually, I pried it out of his hands. I'm still not sure what the issue was. I think a broken credit card machine. I certainly understand these types of issues happen, but don't ruin my trip because your equipment doesn't work. They already had a pre-authorization. It was obvious I was there on business. I just wanted to make my flight - not skip out on a bill. Please learn to put customers first!

Room Tip: I chose a heritage room and was very happy with the unique character of the room and the fireplace!
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank crazymugal
UBI-Management, Manager at Union Bank Inn, responded to this reviewResponded February 21, 2013

Dear Crazymugal,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback! We are so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your check in experience and the service you received prior to check out. I am however very disappointed to hear about your experience at check out and would like to extend our utmost apologies for this incident. This is truly not up to our standards and I would like to assure you we will find out what occurred here and make sure this does not happen again.

Thank you again for expressing your comments and we sincerely hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future to have you experience exceptional service for the entirety of your stay.

Reviewed February 10, 2013

Had a one night stay booked by organisation I was meeting with. Very convenient location for the offices I tend to visit for meetings downtown. Attentive, helpful friendly desk person Joseph helped me to find the mysterious access to the parking lot for the first time. jasper Avenue was dug up and access is from laneway between Telus Plaza parking entrance and McEwan /Alberta College I was there right at check in time and managed a parking spot outdoors but well lit and CCTV'd. Joseph checked me in, met and greeted by Geeta the Maitre'd as I went to the elevator. The heritage wing Sheffield room is of European size but very comfortable and well equipped. Quiet room. Opening windows are a god idea for summer. Thermostat worked well. Tub shower was one of those fibreglass all in one combos. Fairly standard bath amenities, safe, ironing board, iron, Shower was fine, I am used to ducking in most hotel showers at 6'6' lots of hot water. Towels and washcloths were nice and thick, one larger bath sheet towel would be a welcome addition. The fleecey bathrobe fit nicely this linebacker sized frame; which I must say is a first for me in any hotel in the world. Bed comfortable, pillow selection limited to two quite standard pillows with a plethora of uber frou frou decorated pillows. Would prefer a duvet and a bigger top sheet over the brocaded tapestry bed cover thingie. Light box for TV on left and big screen alarm clock ipod dock cast an inescapable distracting blue glow and both had to be covered with magazines to avoid it. Curtains are heavy lined and would have nicely blacked out the room save the blue glow above. Dinner service was friendly and prompt. Beet root salad w/Stilton was nice. Nice dining room contempo-retro in the main former banking room. Arctic Char entree was very nicely done. fresh and well presented. Not a cheap menu by any means. With two glasses of tasty house Malbec at 14 bucks per I thought I was in Norway for a minute. add a good tip and we arrive at 100 bucks for one person. Which means the daily food budget as set out for in expenses was exceeded by a good 40%. For 14 bucks a glass we need "the farmer pour." Keurig did not want to stay lit so went down at 0700 for brekky but Saturday they open at 0800 mentioned Keurig failure they Janna made a note and the security women said we organize a big coffee to last you until 0800. A la Carte brekky is complementary and very good menu it is; accompanied by smiles and happy service a lovely omelette, real pan fries, artisanal toast, jams, a pot of coffee and a big tumbler of orange juice. I will go back, all in still less than the Mac or Westin.

Room Tip: Sheffield on third floor was nice.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank BiffandSpunky
Reviewed February 10, 2013

We like to take periodic weekend get aways and have stayed at a number of hotels in the Edmonton area. Staff were efficient but thoroughly arrogant. The room was well appointed but VERY small with the bathroom appearing to be an afterthought. We tried Madison's and the food was descent but certainly not worth what they were charging. The location puts you right in the heart of downtown which is a veritable ghost town on the weekend. Construction makes getting to the hotel virtually impossible. We finally broke down, called the Inn and were guided through a series of back alleys. Upon check out, when I questioned the $50.00 parking charge (yes, that's $50 for parking, which was not advertised anywhere on their website) I was told: "I only work here, sir. That's your perogative." After what we had heard and read, the Union Bank Inn was an UTTER DISAPPOINTMENT. The keyword for the Union Bank Inn is: Overpriced. If you are looking for a nice weekend get away try the Mattera on White Ave.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Hill S,

We would like to thank you for taking the time to share your feedback as it is truly valued and imperative to our continued growth in being able to offer our guests the very best value. We are very sorry to hear that you felt your money was not well spent and we would like to invite you back to take advantage of all the complimentary services and amenities our hotel has to offer such as complimentary wine and cheese samplers delivered to every guestroom, in-room WiFi access, unlimited access to our onsite business and fitness facilities, complimentary a la carte breakfast served each morning in Madison’s Grill, complimentary phone calls etc. I am very sorry to hear your stay with us did not live up to your expectations and we would like to offer our sincerest apologies for the conduct you received during your interactions with our staff.

Our Heritage Wing Guestrooms are certainly smaller in comparison to our Contemporary Wing however we have found that the charm and uniqueness of this wing far outshines the size of the room however we can certainly appreciate that this is not the case for all our guests. Should we have the opportunity to accommodate you in the future we would suggest giving our contemporary wing a try.

With regards to our parking, please be assured that for the level of parking requested and length of your stay this is a very comparable price for downtown Edmonton to ensure guaranteed parking for the duration of your stay. I am however very sorry that the construction taking place on Jasper Avenue hindered you from finding our parking lot and we would like to thank you for bearing with us during this time. For future, I would suggest printing off our map and driving directions from our website for ease of traveling to the hotel during this time of construction while they revitalize downtown but calling our front desk for guidance is certainly the easiest if you are able to do so as we are happy to direct you to our location.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your feedback and we hope for the opportunity to welcome you back to the Inn in the future for you to experience our 4 star property and service.

Reviewed February 5, 2013

I purchased a one night package through living social that has since expired. I don't expect to get the promotional value package but unlike most companies who care about customers, they refused to honour the base paid value. Even Livingsocial could not convince them to honour the paid value. Nothing. not even a discount to make up for the $167 I paid alread.

This says a lot about the hotel management and their attitude toward customers. Do not recommend patronizing this business.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
4  Thank ZaraWesternCanada

Dear ZaraWesternCanada,

We are truly sorry to hear that you were unable to use your voucher before the deal expired. Please understand that upon purchasing the deal it was stipulated on the voucher that it must be used prior to the expiration as you were purchasing a product as opposed to a dollar value which is consistent with Alberta Gift Certificate & Card law.

Thank you for taking the time to share your feelings on this matter and we hope to have the opportunity to accommodate you in the future.

Reviewed February 3, 2013

Stayed here for the first time last night. Room we stayed in was quaint but tiny. Went to shower in the morning and there was no hot water and when I told them at the front desk they could have cared less. The best thing about the hotel was the location but for the price I will stay somewhere else next visit.

• Stayed: February 2013
2  Thank Deb B

Dear Deb B,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments from your recent stay. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed the location of the hotel and décor of your guestroom but we are truly sorry for how our front desk agent handled your inquiry about the hot water. Please know that we have followed up with the agent on duty to ensure this does not occur in the future.

Thank you again Deb B and we hope to have the opportunity to accommodate you in the future.

Reviewed January 29, 2013

I recently booked at the Union Bank Inn. Thirty-two hours before check-in I tried to cancel the reservation as I had become too ill to traveI. They advised the full payment was due, could not be refunded, nor could they hold a credit on account for future use - even though I offered to provide a note from my Doctor. They advised their 48-hour cancellation policy is carved in stone, "no exceptions." I paid over $300 for nothing.
Moral of the story - don't book here unless you're assured of perfect health and zero travel issues within 48 hours of travel.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank GinnyB685

Dear GinnyB685,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding our cancellation policy. Please understand that being a small boutique property of only 34 guestrooms our cancellation policy is strictly enforced to ensure we are providing our guests with their guaranteed accommodations. Although we can appreciate our cancellation policy may not be convenient for all our guests, we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you in the future so you can experience everything our Inn has to offer.

Reviewed January 1, 2013

Planned and had a wedding at this hotel. From beginning to end of planning the service was excellent. Having planned long distance my emails and phone calls were always promptly answered. Everybody from the front desk to the catering manager to Madison's Grill to the bartenders and servers was so professional, accommodating, knowledgeable and friendly. Definitely recommend this hotel for any occasion.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple