“Great service, excellent value for money”
Review of Union Bank Inn

Union Bank Inn
Ranked #29 of 93 Hotels in Edmonton
Reviewed November 17, 2012

I found the service excellent...from the reservation process where I was asked what kind of room I wanted, contemporary or heritage. The reservation staff member described the rooms, asked me the purpose of my stay and what I liked generally, and then made a recommendation. He was so right! I chose a heritage room and ended up in the Whittaker Room. It was beautifully furnished, the bed was very comfortable and the room really lovely. The bathroom was small but had a very large shower-tub and was well appointed with creams, lotions, shampoo, conditioner, soaps and gel of an excellent quality. The welcome cheese platter was a nice touch too.
I had a great sleep and woke feeling well-rested....only to be pampered by the breakfast staff. The breakfast is included in the room rate. I ordered the West Coast Eggs Benedict which was beautifully presented and well prepared. It came with a small fruit salad. The server was most attentive and pleasant.
The business center is a small room with computer and printer...quiet and useful to have. There is free internet in the rooms too.
The checkout was quick and efficient.
This is a lovely boutique hotel in downtown Edmonton, great service and excellent value for money. The staff made me feel like I was royalty!
Highly recommend it for a business stay or for a couples romantic getaway or even for a solo R&R.

Room Tip: I really liked the heritage wing....each room is differently appointed and really a lovely break fro...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank MAMCalgary

Reviewed November 16, 2012

My husband and I stayed at Union Bank Inn on our wedding night. The desk staff was incredibly friendly and helpful. We ordered chocolate covered strawberries and they were delivered promptly when expected. We had some issues with the television working (we believe we pressed the wrong button and messed something up). The night staff came up herself to fix the issue. She was very dedicated to helping us. She also helped us find some places for take out/delivery at such a late time of night. The next morning we did not have time to sit down and eat breakfast so the kitchen prepared us something to go. It was a wonderful experience. I highly recommend Union bank Inn and I would personally return in the future.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Erin H
Reviewed October 7, 2012

I had the occasion to stay at the Union Bank Inn while in Edmonton on business in September. I thought the hotel itself looked familiar to me when I got to my room and then I remembered why: I had actually stayed at the hotel seven years earlier.

The Good

- Rooms are nicely appointed though a little touch old-school for my taste -- I was in the contemporary wing but you could have mistaken it for contemporary-heritage. Nice bedspread, very comfortable bed, great sheets and the furniture in the room was pretty decent.

- Geeta in the restaurant is absolutely lovely -- she is the sweetest lady I think I have met at any hotel during all my travels. She greeted me and my boss every morning with a hug, was absolutely attentive to all details of our meals while we were dining in the restaurant and just set a high standard of class, service quality and kindness. An absolute gem who should be treasured by this hotel: she really made my stay at the hotel worth writing about.

- Kayla at the front-desk deserves a shout-out too. On the evening I checked in, we found that my room reservation had been cancelled (much to my shock, since I had just confirmed it three days before). It was very late (1:30am) and, frankly, I was a little crabby having just gotten off a 4.5 hour plane ride. Kayla didn't bat an eyelash, got her manager on the phone and snagged me a room despite the mix-up with my reservation. She did all of this with a smile and it was appreciated. A really good moment of customer service that deserves to be acknowledged by the hotel.

- Shout-out to Amir as well -- he apologized to me the next morning for the mix-up with my room reservation as he had been the individual who had booked it originally and who I had confirmed it with only days before. I guess what had had happened was that my travel agent had booked a room, I had also booked a room, then the travel agent realized that I had two rooms booked under my name, cancelled one of them and inadvertently both of them got cancelled. Anyway, Amir apologized, honoured the original rate that I was quoted at and even gave me his card so that I can liaise with him before I arrive next time. Very good job.

- Food at the restaurant is quite decent as well - my favourite was the poached eggs, sausages and toast. Very well done, excellent juice as well.

The Bad:

- I think they need to invest a little money in their closet doors in the room. Dated looking. Reminded me of Three's Company for some reason.

- The fitness centre is a bit of a joke. I went to check it out while there, opened the door and found a treadmill and an eliptical trainer. That's not a fitness centre. That's a set-up I'd expect to see in my basement.

Overall, this was a very good hotel with solid service and nice decor. It's central to everything and the price very reasonable. I look forward to returning again.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank CanadianTraveller30
Reviewed October 5, 2012 via mobile

I will be canceling my corporate account at this hotel. Since they've changed management here the service has completely gone downhill. The manager at the front desk has an imperious attitude towards guests and one feels that they've been bestowed a grand favour for being allowed to stay here. Most unfortunate. I have travelled to Edmonton for five years and been a loyal client for them for many of those years - my assistant made a mistake in booking a room on the wrong night and even though I have stayed there dozens of times I was told that I would be charged regardless. When I phoned the manager to discuss this he hung up on me after raising his voice and telling me I was lucky that they even had a room for me the night I did arrive, as if I had done this on purpose!
There are many quality hotels in Edmonton - this is not one of them. I will never stay here again and highly recommend others not to stay here as well.

• Stayed: September 2012
5  Thank Susan C
UBI-Management, Manager at Union Bank Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 10, 2012

Dear Susan C,

Thank you for your feedback. We sincerely appreciate the opportunity to resolve this concern and hope that our conversation with you has given you the assurance that your comments and concerns are received with the highest regard.

Thank you again for giving us the opportunity to make this right and we hope to welcome you back in the future to enjoy the service you have come to expect from us.

Yours in hospitality,
Customer Service Team

Reviewed September 25, 2012

I travelled to Edmonton on September 24 and was looking for a nice hotel. I typically stay at the Fairmont but was willing to try something different based on a recommendation from a friend. The reviews here were very good...so I expected more than what I got.

If 4 diamond boutique hotel is code for...tiny rooms, awful shower (I am 6 foot and had to duck to get wet), mediocre bathroom amenities - including a microscopic bathroom, 2 lousy bath towels, and an afternoon cheese plate delivered to my room that consisted of Black diamond cheese and a 2oz shot of wine, one corded phone not near the bed, and no useable night tables, a sheet with a bed cover and no duvet and a poor selection of pillows...then I guess this hotel is 4 diamonds.

Also, a small but critical element that separates an adequate hotel from a good or great one. There was a coffee maker in the room and a fridge. Yet there was no milk for the coffee...only coffee mate! C'mon, if you are trying to provide a unique experience for guests, how hard is it to provide real milk?

And another note...as i was leaving at 430 in the morning to get an early flight, the very nice woman at the checkout asked me if I was offered a Continental breakfast as I was leaving so early. Nope. even though when I checked in, the desk manager did call me the early morning limo, so he did know that i was leaving. Oops!

Its the little things that make a difference at this level of hotel. Without paying attention to the details, it is just another average experience.

Room Tip: Ask for one that is big enough to swing a cat in.
2  Thank Matthew R
UBI-Management, Manager at Union Bank Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2012

Dear Matthew R,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at the Inn, we are very disappointed that you did not enjoy your stay and found the room and amenities to be so displeasing. Your feedback is truly invaluable in assisting us to offer the very best in amenities, service and quality and we have taken your comments very seriously.

I am very sorry that you were not able to enjoy the complimentary a la carte breakfast and that you were also not offered a continental breakfast for your early travels. You are absolutely correct that it is the little things that count and we pride ourselves on our attention to detail so I do apologize that you were not offered this option upon check in.

Again, I would like to offer our utmost apologies that we did not live up to the expectations you had of our Inn but we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future. If we can be of any assistance to you we welcome you to contact us at anytime at sales@unionbankinn.com.

Yours in hospitality,
Customer Service Team

Reviewed September 23, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for one night to celebrate our anniversary. The hotel is in a great location, you can walk to a number of great downtown restaurants. We had a Heritage Room and it was beautiful and clean. We loved all of the decor in the bedroom and bathroom, it was calming and elegant. We ordered the Chocolate Covered Strawberries to be delivered to our room at 8:30pm, at 9 they still hadn't been delivered so we had to call the Front Desk and remind them; they were very apologetic and we received them at 9:30, that was disappointing but they didn't charge us for them because they were late, and they were the best Chocolate Covered Strawberries I have ever had, the Chocolate was fabulous. The only negative I can say about this hotel is the amount of street noise that kept us awake, we were on the third floor, our room faced Jasper Avenue, a busy downtown street at all hours on a Saturday night. There was a construction site outside our window on the other side of the street, but that didn't affect us because there was no construction work being done while we were there. The complimentary breakfast was delicious and the restaurant is lovely. We would definitely stay here again, I would request a room not facing Jasper Avenue and see if it is quieter.

Room Tip: Our room facing Jasper Avenue had a lot of street noise, I would definitely request a room not facin...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Gail M
Reviewed September 21, 2012

I would highly recommend the Union Bank Inn - whenever I have to make the trip to Edmonton for business I stay with them. Exceptionally clean, quiet. The service is amazing.
The breakfast included with your room is unbelievable.

3  Thank Scott M